The Student Room Group
Learning at Imperial College London
Imperial College London
London

Imperial Medicine 2016 Offer Holder Page

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Crying.lightning
Just withdrew my UCL application having received interview as got an offer from Imperial, thoughts?

What made you withdraw UCL for Imperial?
Learning at Imperial College London
Imperial College London
London
Original post by Lili1998

I think because they already had an offer, so they didn't need the interview. That's an assumption though :wink:
Reply 22
Hey guys, does anyone here with achieved A levels also get a conditional offer, and then when you open up the offer letter it is blank?
Original post by Lili1998

I prefer the location, course and the fact that imperial there's a really good Union just for medics, but also as I already had the offer. Would have chosen imperial as my first choice anyway.
I don't mind the commute on the tube everyday to stay at Woodward and I think the price of travel averages out over accommodation that is closer and more expensive

Posted from TSR Mobile
Beit hall is attractive just because of how close it is to campus and it's in South Kensington which is pretty but I like how modern Woodward looks and of course, en suite 👏👏

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 26
when that imperial offer came through
[video="youtube;Gi-ZFsEulzE"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gi-ZFsEulzE[/video]
Original post by Hectors
when that imperial offer came through
[video="youtube;Gi-ZFsEulzE"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gi-ZFsEulzE[/video]

i don't get it, never heard it, but i still jammed to it
Hi everyone, I am a first year medical student at Imperial, if you have any questions about anything then feel free to ask. In response to a few things I've seen already, you do get a free iPad mini throughout your time as a medical student at imperial (supposed to be used for learning but everyone just uses it to play games in lectures). Teaching in first year is about 50:50 between south ken campus and charing cross campus and is mainly at charing cross in second year, obviously hammersmith isn't quite as nice an area as south ken but that won't really matter much as you'll probably be too focused on other things to care (and the number of tourists in south ken will eventually begin to annoy you so you'll be glad hammersmith isn't as pretty!). Finally, the commute from woodward to the unis is no way near as bad as people think, the journey to south ken actually involves a short walk through hyde park and past the royal albert hall, so it's actually quite pleasant.
Original post by Koom
Hey guys, does anyone here with achieved A levels also get a conditional offer, and then when you open up the offer letter it is blank?

I'd assume the 'conditions' are just the DBS form then, which we'll get later I think
Original post by dj3k
Is it true we get a free iPad mini while at Imperial?

Yeah if I remember correctly the medics I know (we're first years) got a free iPad (mini?).
Original post by AortaStudyMore
Hi everyone, I am a first year medical student at Imperial, if you have any questions about anything then feel free to ask. In response to a few things I've seen already, you do get a free iPad mini throughout your time as a medical student at imperial (supposed to be used for learning but everyone just uses it to play games in lectures). Teaching in first year is about 50:50 between south ken campus and charing cross campus and is mainly at charing cross in second year, obviously hammersmith isn't quite as nice an area as south ken but that won't really matter much as you'll probably be too focused on other things to care (and the number of tourists in south ken will eventually begin to annoy you so you'll be glad hammersmith isn't as pretty!). Finally, the commute from woodward to the unis is no way near as bad as people think, the journey to south ken actually involves a short walk through hyde park and past the royal albert hall, so it's actually quite pleasant.

I was just wondering if there are certain things we should get before we start, textbooks certain clothes etc, what about imperial do you think is really great? Is there anything we can do to prepare before we get in?thanks

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by MedStudent1997
I was just wondering if there are certain things we should get before we start, textbooks certain clothes etc, what about imperial do you think is really great? Is there anything we can do to prepare before we get in?thanks

You don't need any textbooks, the uni will send you a summer reading list made up a couple of physiology books and a cell biology textbook, you definitely will not need them, because I've seen the textbooks and they cover so much, but in first year you only cover a small amount of what's in the books, so reading the textbooks won't help you prepare for first year. As for clothes, you don't need scrubs or anything, although smart casual clothes are important for patient visits and GP placements, maybe a suit too for some of the formal events. In general you don't need to do anything to prepare other than do all the admin stuff they'll send you such as get vaccinations and DBS and stuff. Just aim to do well in your exams and then enjoy the summer.
[QUOTE="AortaStudyMore;63000239"]

You don't need any textbooks, the uni will send you a summer reading list made up a couple of physiology books and a cell biology textbook, you definitely will not need them, because I've seen the textbooks and they cover so much, but in first year you only cover a small amount of what's in the books, so reading the textbooks won't help you prepare for first year. As for clothes, you don't need scrubs or anything, although smart casual clothes are important for patient visits and GP placements, maybe a suit too for some of the formal events. In general you don't need to do anything to prepare other than do all the admin stuff they'll send you such as get vaccinations and DBS and stuff. Just aim to do well in your exams and then enjoy the summer.

Thank you! Also how are ur lectures? What's ur timetable like? How's the workload? Does it ever get really stressful? And are there scholarships for people who do well academically during the year? Any benefits etc.?
How much of ur day is composed of studying? Thanks :smile: sorry for the old of questions btw

Posted from TSR Mobile

Has anyone in your year been in the situation where imperial is there insurance? How likely is it that you get accommodation for first year if you end up going to imperial?
[QUOTE="MedStudent1997;63006139"]

Thank you! Also how are ur lectures? What's ur timetable like? How's the workload? Does it ever get really stressful? And are there scholarships for people who do well academically during the year? Any benefits etc.?
How much of ur day is composed of studying? Thanks :smile: sorry for the old of questions btw

Posted from TSR Mobile

Timetable is pretty hectic, but it does vary from week to week. We're currently at the beginning of our anatomy module so we have dissections 1 or 2 times a week (full body dissections where you actually get to do the dissecting, not prosection), everything else is lectures apart from the odd PBL session or tutorial. Lectures are pretty tough, because the lecturers go very fast, and by the time you've understood what has been said the lecturer is like 3 or 4 slides ahead already, but all lectures are recorded so if you do miss something you can just watch them back on the intranet. Workload isn't that bad, although it's pretty bad at the moment as all the coursework for the year is due in at the end of march, so everyone is actually having to get their heads down now. It does get stressful at times, but at the end of the day there is no need because everything is actually pretty easy to pass. There are scholarships for people who are applying, so offer holders will probably be allocated scholarships soon, I actually got the president's scholarship (£3000 for the year) based on exam and interview performance, and there are plenty of other smaller ones which you have to write essays for in order to be awarded them. I'm not sure about benefits though. And as for how much time you spend studying at medical school, it honestly depends on how much you want to work, but honestly it isn't that much, you'd explode if you worked all the time. The work is no way near as bad as people think
Original post by hopefulmedic97
Has anyone in your year been in the situation where imperial is there insurance? How likely is it that you get accommodation for first year if you end up going to imperial?

I don't know anyone like that, the only situation I reckon that would be the case is if they had an offer from cambridge and didn't get the grades, but anyone with an offer from cambridge is probably capable of getting 2+ A*s at A-level. Other than that I don't think it's possible to be at Imperial if it was your insurance because the entry grades are/were the same for everywhere else, so you would either get into your firm choice or get into neither choice. And everyone who makes imperial their firm choice gets guaranteed accommodation
I don't know anyone like that, the only situation I reckon that would be the case is if they had an offer from cambridge and didn't get the grades, but anyone with an offer from cambridge is probably capable of getting 2+ A*s at A-level. Other than that I don't think it's possible to be at Imperial if it was your insurance because the entry grades are/were the same for everywhere else, so you would either get into your firm choice or get into neither choice. And everyone who makes imperial their firm choice gets guaranteed accommodation

But I think this will have to be the situation for me because I have a cambridge offer. I will just have to see I guess :s-smilie:
Original post by hopefulmedic97
But I think this will have to be the situation for me because I have a cambridge offer. I will just have to see I guess :s-smilie:

Seriously if you're good enough to get a cambridge offer you're good enough to get the grades, A-levels are the easy part of a medical school application, I actually looked forward to just being able to revise for my exams after all I went through to get an offer haha
[QUOTE="AortaStudyMore;63010431"]

Timetable is pretty hectic, but it does vary from week to week. We're currently at the beginning of our anatomy module so we have dissections 1 or 2 times a week (full body dissections where you actually get to do the dissecting, not prosection), everything else is lectures apart from the odd PBL session or tutorial. Lectures are pretty tough, because the lecturers go very fast, and by the time you've understood what has been said the lecturer is like 3 or 4 slides ahead already, but all lectures are recorded so if you do miss something you can just watch them back on the intranet. Workload isn't that bad, although it's pretty bad at the moment as all the coursework for the year is due in at the end of march, so everyone is actually having to get their heads down now. It does get stressful at times, but at the end of the day there is no need because everything is actually pretty easy to pass. There are scholarships for people who are applying, so offer holders will probably be allocated scholarships soon, I actually got the president's scholarship (£3000 for the year) based on exam and interview performance, and there are plenty of other smaller ones which you have to write essays for in order to be awarded them. I'm not sure about benefits though. And as for how much time you spend studying at medical school, it honestly depends on how much you want to work, but honestly it isn't that much, you'd explode if you worked all the time. The work is no way near as bad as people think

Thank you :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending