I'd love some help on A levels as I'm unsure on what to take:

Definite:
Maths
Further Maths
Physics

Optional:
History
Chemistry

I did my maths GCSE a year early got an A* and I'd like to do a maths, something finance related or a computer science degree

Any help on A level choices would be appreciated
If you want a job, you must do BTEC Travel and Tourism.
Original post by __Josh__
I'd love some help on A levels as I'm unsure on what to take:

Definite:
Maths
Further Maths
Physics

Optional:
History
Chemistry

I did my maths GCSE a year early got an A* and I'd like to do a maths, something finance related or a computer science degree

Any help on A level choices would be appreciated

If you want to do CompSci, then I think an A Level in Computing would be more relevant than the two optional choices (hope this doesn't show my personal bias :tongue:), but the most relevant of them is by far Chemsitry. For a maths/finance related degree, then Chemistry would be the best fit.

History would teach you the ability to evaluate sources or writing at length and referencing styles. A friend at my Sixth Form took Maths, Physics, Computing and History, albeit they dropped History the following year. If your school offers the EPQ this would be a great way to learn these skills without it taking up an option slot on one of your four A Levels.

Most Universities will recommend Maths, Further Maths, Computing and a Science subject for CompSci (some require Maths, for others it is helpful but not necessary), and Maths, Further Maths and a Science for a Maths degree for example.
Hi, I am an A level student. Can I ask what are you thinking about doing after college? That will make it much easier to advise you on the best options. They look like great, strong options so far!

Sorry, I did not read your last sentence, whoops!

Computing would be a great idea if you want to do CompSci, and the rest of your A level choices look great for that. Just make sure you can achieve the grades, because they are really difficult courses, but I am sure you will do great. For a finance related career, you may want to look at some choices like accounting (quite a weak subject though) or economics. However, finance has usually quite open entry requirements, so maths should cover you! Just make sure you check university requirements. A humanities subject may be as good idea, to make you a more 'rounded' student. It really is up to you!
(edited 8 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest