The Student Room Group

IBD and me

Hi all! Now for my intro

Warning - this is a rant.

I've not been in a good state the past few days. Forget days, for the past year or so. I don''t know if you read quite an old post of mine (when I first joined TSR a few months ago), I wrote about how I suffer from a form of IBD, called Ulcerative Colitis. Usually, people begin getting symptoms around the age of 15-16, but I started getting it at the age of 11. It affects 1 in 420 people, which in theory may not seem like a lot and this horrible rant may make me sound selfish as I'm not a rarity (techinically I am because no-one in my family has ever had it and it rarely occurs in asians). It began very severly, therefore I prescribed a high dose medication (800mg tablet thrice daily).To be frank, its a **** condition. A very **** condition (no pun intended). Its so unexpected and you never know when something is gonna pop up.

I'm sick of it. I really am sick of it. I'm sick of the pain that I go through when I wake up in the morning, I'm sick of the medication I practically have to take for the rest of my life because there isn't a cure, I'm sick of holding in the tears whenever I'm in school because I want to try and keep a happy face, I'm sick of the fact that my hands are always trembling, which results in me missing practical lessons in the engineeirng workshop and I'm sick of the questions that people keep asking me. With my condition, I have really bad stomach aches and because it is so unexpected, I can get extra time in exams and I frequently need to take breaks between lessons. One reason why I never want to return back to class is because people begin to ask me questions about why I drink so much water and why I need to leave class so many times. I hate it. I feel like sticking a post it note on my forehead stating that. And because I go to a school where there are predominantly males, they always tend to think its periods. FFS ITS NOT AWAYS ABOUT PERIODS. It drives me INSANE.

It got to a point where today, I had to miss yet another practical lesson and someone commented, which caused me to start crying at break. I never usually cry, and this was the first time my friend of 5 years had ever seen me actually cry about something. I understand that having UC is not something that was intentionally given to me to make my life miserable, but the comments and the pain is killing me inside. My friend just asked me to rant my heart out. And so I did.

IBD has no cure and that sucks. And when they think they have one, it will be years before it will be proven because of clinical trials etc. And because of that, I feel like SCREAMING MY ****ING HEAD OFF BECAUSE SHPIUAHURIPVNROQNIOENC[OIWE!!!

Sorry

Its an invisible condition, so you may not see any physical changes (apart from looking more tired or skinnier) - which is why people make the assumption that you're completely fine - which is fine I guess. But, once people start asking questions, it puts me in an awkward position because I don't like talking about my IBD. I know that no-one would know what it is and then when they ask again, my response where I say 'its a condition where I **** blood basically and I lose a lotta weight'. No one understands the emotional pain I go through everyday - and of course I don't expect them to if they haven't experienced it. I also get the odd comments saying 'oh but you were fine last week'.

I've been reading this blog from someone called Sam Cleasby on her site called sobadass.me, which I suppose is helping because she has UC, has had it for 10 yrs, has 3 children and is so positive! On the other hand, its not helping because its making me think about the worse case scenario's and the flares etc. I was diagnosed 11 months ago, so I haven't had any flares yet, thankfully. But, I'm not prepared for when it does happen. Beginning to have the symptons from such a young age has in some ways scarred me because, I admit, I didn't have a clue what was going on. And then again, no one does at the age of 11. I even said to my friend today that I'm not prepared for **** like that, and when it happens, it will hit me hard and I dunno what the turnout would be.

I just want things to stop. It's never going to happen though. I can't magically ask for something that I know I'm never gonna get. I try to think positively but that thought of something I know will happen in a few days, a few weeks, month, years - whatever is just pulling me down, when I keep persuading my self to think that it shouldn't. I mean, thats why I created the Motivational Society, so that I could get some motivation from people to live through everyday. Not only me, but also fellow TSRians.

So this is me. I told you to bare the rant, and hats off to you if you've read till the end! If you'd like to post your own personal stories about coping through a medical condition, please feel free to or any advice on coping through everyday :smile: The people I have tagged are those I feel I'm quite close to on TSR :smile:

Thank you very much for reading,

ravioliyears xx

BLOG POST ONE: ^^
BLOG POST TWO - POSITIVITY
BLOG POST THREE - ASPIRATIONS, GOALS AND THE FUTURE
BLOG POST FOUR - VIDEO ON IBD
BLOG POST FIVE - HOW MY WEIGHT LOSS CHANGED EVERYTHING
BLOG POST SIX - WORLD IBD DAY AND RANDOM ACT OF KINDNESS
BLOG POST SEVEN
(edited 7 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

awwwww lovely :lovehug: subbing ofc :jumphug: xxxxx

EDIT:read the whole thing :frown: awww lovely you are such an amazing person, i mean ik you had this already cos of the pm but it still amazes me how strong you are :hugs: good on you beautiful and try to ignore the others :/ xxx
(edited 8 years ago)
Subbed :biggrin:

And I'm sorry to hear about that :frown: Hope you feel better soon! :jumphug:
Reply 3
My baby bahan has a blog :woo:
I'm gonna read gimme a sec hun

Original post by CoolCavy
awwwww lovely :lovehug: subbing ofc :jumphug: xxxxx

EDIT:read the whole thing :frown: awww lovely you are such an amazing person, i mean ik you had this already cos of the pm but it still amazes me how strong you are :hugs: good on you beautiful and try to ignore the others :/ xxx

Cavy! :jumphugs: it's my fav gerbil :colone:
Reply 4
Original post by ravioliyears
Hi all! Now for my intro

I've not been in a good state the past few days. Forget days, for the past year or so. I don''t know if you read quite an old post of mine (when I first joined TSR a few months ago), I wrote about how I suffer from a form of IBD, called Ulcerative Colitis. Usually, people begin getting symptoms around the age of 15-16, but I started getting it at the age of 11. It affects 1 in 420 people, which in theory may not seem like a lot and this horrible rant may make me sound selfish as I'm not a rarity (techinically I am because no-one in my family has ever had it and it rarely occurs in asians). It began very severly, therefore I prescribed a high dose medication (800mg tablet thrice daily).To be frank, its a **** condition. A very **** condition (no pun intended). Its so unexpected and you never know when something is gonna pop up.

I'm sick of it. I really am sick of it. I'm sick of the pain that I go through when I wake up in the morning, I'm sick of the medication I practically have to take for the rest of my life because there isn't a cure, I'm sick of holding in the tears whenever I'm in school because I want to try and keep a happy face, I'm sick of the fact that my hands are always trembling, which results in me missing practical lessons in the engineeirng workshop and I'm sick of the questions that people keep asking me. With my condition, I have really bad stomach aches and because it is so unexpected, I can get extra time in exams and I frequently need to take breaks between lessons. One reason why I never want to return back to class is because people begin to ask me questions about why I drink so much water and why I need to leave class so many times. I hate it. I feel like sticking a post it note on my forehead stating that. And because I go to a school where there are predominantly males, they always tend to think its periods. FFS ITS NOT AWAYS ABOUT PERIODS. It drives me INSANE.

It got to a point where today, I had to miss yet another practical lesson and someone commented, which caused me to start crying at break. I never usually cry, and this was the first time my friend of 5 years had ever seen me actually cry about something. I understand that having UC is not something that was intentionally given to me to make my life miserable, but the comments and the pain is killing me inside. My friend just asked me to rant my heart out. And so I did.

IBD has no cure and that sucks. And when they think they have one, it will be years before it will be proven because of clinical trials etc. And because of that, I feel like SCREAMING MY ****ING HEAD OFF BECAUSE SHPIUAHURIPVNROQNIOENC[OIWE!!!

Sorry

Its an invisible condition, so you may not see any physical changes (apart from looking more tired or skinnier) - which is why people make the assumption that you're completely fine - which is fine I guess. But, once people start asking questions, it puts me in an awkward position because I don't like talking about my IBD. I know that no-one would know what it is and then when they ask again, my response where I say 'its a condition where I **** blood basically and I lose a lotta weight'. No one understands the emotional pain I go through everyday - and of course I don't expect them to if they haven't experienced it. I also get the odd comments saying 'oh but you were fine last week'.

I've been reading this blog from someone called Sam Cleasby on her site called sobadass.me, which I suppose is helping because she has UC, has had it for 10 yrs, has 3 children and is so positive! On the other hand, its not helping because its making me think about the worse case scenario's and the flares etc. I was diagnosed 11 months ago, so I haven't had any flares yet, thankfully. But, I'm not prepared for when it does happen. Beginning to have the symptons from such a young age has in some ways scarred me because, I admit, I didn't have a clue what was going on. And then again, no one does at the age of 11. I even said to my friend today that I'm not prepared for **** like that, and when it happens, it will hit me hard and I dunno what the turnout would be.

I just want things to stop. It's never going to happen though. I can't magically ask for something that I know I'm never gonna get. I try to think positively but that thought of something I know will happen in a few days, a few weeks, month, years - whatever is just pulling me down, when I keep persuading my self to think that it shouldn't. I mean, thats why I created the Motivational Society, so that I could get some motivation from people to live through everyday. Not only me, but also fellow TSRians.

So this is me. I told you to bare the rant, and hats off to you if you've read till the end! If you'd like to post your own personal stories about coping through a medical condition, please feel free to or any advice on coping through everyday :smile: The people I have tagged are those I feel I'm quite close to on TSR :smile:

ravioliyears xx

the bold is what I read so far. Baby I can't get thru this, 3deep 5me rite now I swear :hugs:
My heart's going out to you babe it really is. :cry2: I'll read the rest when I'm in a better emotional state myself damn
Original post by lol-done
the bold is what I read so far. Baby I can't get thru this, 3deep 5me rite now I swear :hugs:
My heart's going out to you babe it really is. :cry2: I'll read the rest when I'm in a better emotional state myself damn

Okay - thanks :smile:
Original post by lol-done
My baby bahan has a blog :woo:
I'm gonna read gimme a sec hun

Cavy! :jumphugs: it's my fav gerbil :colone:

omg O_o well i am honoured to be ur fave gerbil but who is this? :colondollar: pm please possibly yes....
omg O_o well i am honoured to be ur fave gerbil but who is this? :colondollar: pm please possibly yes....

My bhai has made a come-back :wink:
:hugs: I'm sorry to hear you've been having a rough few days :frown: I'm always here for you OK? Definitely interested in reading more :excited:
Original post by iEthan
:hugs: I'm sorry to hear you've been having a rough few days :frown: I'm always here for you OK? Definitely interested in reading more :excited:

Thanks, and I may be posting something in a few days :smile:
Thanks, and I may be posting something in a few days :smile:

Wheeeee I'm excited about that :yep:

lmfao thanks for the personal rating msg :jumphugs:

hey boo :ahee:
:cry2: I need a wall!! :cry2:
Hi all! Now for my intro

Sorry

ravioliyears xx

Awwww I'm sorry to hear that :frown: You always seem so happy and not upset. Maybe that's the problem, I think this blog would be good fro you as it gives you a chance to get all the things you want, off your chest, without burdening someone, as it were. Honestly I know what you mean, that other people can't always offer the best advice or support and maybe don't really understand you but who cares? I'm sure WE would all be able to offer a listening ear!

Also you don't have to explain why you are drinking water all the time, or why you have to leave the lesson. That is your business and no one else's.

I don't have many medical conditions, apart from anemia and chemical sensitivity (basically, if I go swimming in a recently chlorinated pool I experience a sort of allergic reaction a couple of hours later, I break out in hives and such not major but it still annoys me) but I completely understand where you are coming from. I would say be strong, but you already seem to be!
I can't even begin to imagine how you're feeling, or even how you're coping. I hope this blog is the perfect solution for you, and I'll definitely be subbing! :jumphug:
Original post by homeland.lsw
Awwww I'm sorry to hear that :frown: You always seem so happy and not upset. Maybe that's the problem, I think this blog would be good fro you as it gives you a chance to get all the things you want, off your chest, without burdening someone, as it were. Honestly I know what you mean, that other people can't always offer the best advice or support and maybe don't really understand you but who cares? I'm sure WE would all be able to offer a listening ear!

Also you don't have to explain why you are drinking water all the time, or why you have to leave the lesson. That is your business and no one else's.

I don't have many medical conditions, apart from anemia and chemical sensitivity (basically, if I go swimming in a recently chlorinated pool I experience a sort of allergic reaction a couple of hours later, I break out in hives and such not major but it still annoys me) but I completely understand where you are coming from. I would say be strong, but you already seem to be!

Thank you! Yeh, I also have anaemia :/ Sorry to hear about the chemical sensitivity though, must be quite annoying.
Original post by TheOtherSide.
I can't even begin to imagine how you're feeling, or even how you're coping. I hope this blog is the perfect solution for you, and I'll definitely be subbing! :jumphug:

Thanks, I also hope so too. I don't really have the courage to talk to be people at school abut stuff like this (but I can on TSR :tongue:)
Thanks, I also hope so too. I don't really have the courage to talk to be people at school abut stuff like this (but I can on TSR :tongue:)

You and me both, then :lol:

(I'm pretty shy at school too.)
Original post by like_marmite
Excited to hear more about a girl shitting blood? Whatever floats your boat, I guess.

Wow. To know that I was expecting this I guess.
Thank you! Yeh, I also have anaemia :/ Sorry to hear about the chemical sensitivity though, must be quite annoying.

Anaemia is really annoying...ugh. Do you get light headed and dizzy a lot?

Latest