The Student Room Group

Access 2017/18

Hi is everyone planning to study access next year and what subjects are you doing , I got a college interview for pre access retaking my GCSEs then doing access to health and social next year. I want to study nursing at university.
(edited 8 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Have you checked that the universities you want to apply to will accept pre-access as an alternative to GCSEs? Most universities won't.
Original post by Snufkin
Have you checked that the universities you want to apply to will accept pre-access as an alternative to GCSEs? Most universities won't.

Many pre-access courses comprise GCSEs, so not an entirely accurate post.
Original post by Snufkin

You do GCSEs in maths and English on the course it's called pre access because you do GCSEs before you take an access to higher education course
Original post by like_marmite

Thanks
Original post by like_marmite

Actually the majority of them don't and the OP didn't give specifics, so my post was justified.

Original post by glamourprincess
You do GCSEs in maths and English on the course it's called pre access because you do GCSEs before you take an access to higher education course

Most 'pre-access' courses only offer 'GCSE alternatives' which is why I said what I said. If you're doing proper GCSEs then fine.
Original post by Snufkin
Actually the majority of them don't and the OP didn't give specifics, so my post was justified.

Most 'pre-access' courses only offer 'GCSE alternatives' which is why I said what I said. If you're doing proper GCSEs then fine.

Are you studying an access and which subject?
Are you studying an access and which subject?

Not anymore.
Original post by Snufkin
Not anymore.

Ok
Original post by Snufkin

I never said it was unjustified. I just said it was not entirely accurate; and might by extension give confused learners the wrong idea. There is no need to be so defensive simply because you were called out for inaccuracies.
Hi is everyone planning to study access next year and what subjects are you doing , I got a college interview for pre access retaking my GCSEs then doing access to health and social next year. I want to study nursing at university.

I'm going to be studying an Access to HE Science course, and then hopefully progress to study Dietetics at Plymouth Uni.......that's the plan anyway :smile:
Original post by Mature_Dietetic
I'm going to be studying an Access to HE Science course, and then hopefully progress to study Dietetics at Plymouth Uni.......that's the plan anyway :smile:

That's really good hope you get in 😊
That's really good hope you get in 😊

Thanks, you too :smile:
Hi guys
I just been offered to do the pre access course and will be starting in September this year then access to health next September 2017
I'm a bit worried about the requirements for university as they want me to have 5. GCSEs but if I did access will I just need maths English and science will that be enough?
Reply 15
I'm a bit worried about the requirements for university as they want me to have 5. GCSEs but if I did access will I just need maths English and science will that be enough?

As per my reply on your other post, every uni can set its own requirements. Nobody here can tell you - you need to ask the uni.
Reply 16
I'm planning on doing access into nursing.
I did pre access in 2014 and higher in 2015 I left access in 2015 due to many failings of the college I was at and personal problems I'm now on the hunt for another college.
I was given interviews at both my uni choices aswell last year

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 17
Also I had to study GCSE English separate to my access last year as the access course by the provided the college was using did not have the GCSE requirements imbedded into the course. The two unis I applied for had two different requirements one was happy with merits and level 2 maths and English the other wanted mostly distinctions and merits along with English and maths GCSEs

Posted from TSR Mobile
I should be doing an access course next September in Science. I'm currently doing iGCSE's from home. Can't wait to get started!

Posted from TSR Mobile
I'm taking my GCSE Maths and English right now and have applied to do History and Politics and Humanities and Social Sciences as a back up since they are both very popular courses. Have received an email for the mandatory information session for the first and a text telling me about an email about the same thing for the second course but no email with dates/times so have emailed them and am waiting for them to get back to me. So my fingers/legs/toes and eyes are all crossed whenever I'm not revising at the moment.

Quick Reply