The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by glamourprincess
The teachers told me to do access as I am an adult and can't do a levels cuz I don't have the grades but access only has one option which is going to university why a levels you can either get a job or go to university same and Btecs are only for 16-18 which isn't fair

A levels and BTECs equivalent to A levels take 2 years, Access courses generally take 1 year.

Because adults generally have to pay for course fees and are also more likely to have support to cover living costs while they study than 16-18 yr olds living at home most colleges will recommend the intensive 1 year course.

There's no rule saying you can't take A levels or BTECs - it's just a lot more expensive (both financially and time wise) than an Access course and most adults coming back to study are looking to progress to a degree.
Original post by PQ
A levels and BTECs equivalent to A levels take 2 years, Access courses generally take 1 year.

Because adults generally have to pay for course fees and are also more likely to have support to cover living costs while they study than 16-18 yr olds living at home most colleges will recommend the intensive 1 year course.

There's no rule saying you can't take A levels or BTECs - it's just a lot more expensive (both financially and time wise) than an Access course and most adults coming back to study are looking to progress to a degree.

If you are 18. can you still start A levels or no because you are technically "an adult".
Original post by Blackstarr
If you are 18. can you still start A levels or no because you are technically "an adult".

You can start A levels at any age.

Whether you'll have to pay fees to study/take the exams will depend on your circumstances.
You don't have to do access just because the teacher says. Depends what your aims are overall to be fair. My friend did access to nursing while working full time hours. I suspect she'd have had more of a struggle fitting in A levels and work. A levels are assessed in a way that is more rigid.
Why do you want to do A levels op? What's the overall plan?
I thought a levels will give me more options but I mainly want to get into nursing
I done an 'Access to Nursing HE Diploma', I have completed this course and have had conditional offers from universities. They accept both A levels and access courses, I was able to carry on working full time and then I would study at an evening.
Original post by PQ

Ok thanks
I thought a levels will give me more options but I mainly want to get into nursing

You can do the BTEC health and social care level 3 for 2 years or the access course you are doing for 1 year.

But I think there are changes, so as of next year there will be exams in it.
Original post by Blackstarr
You can do the BTEC health and social care level 3 for 2 years or the access course you are doing for 1 year.

But I think there are changes, so as of next year there will be exams in it.

Thanks
Thanks

:smile:
Have you considered doing a foundation year?
Original post by leavingthecity
Have you considered doing a foundation year?

No it costs 9 grand and you do combined science and maths on top of social sciences which is harder
No it costs 9 grand and you do combined science and maths on top of social sciences which is harder

What area if work do you want to go into?
Reply 15

Bear in mind that the £9000 will be funded by a Tuition Fee loan from Student Finance. I'm sorry to say it, but as a nurse, you're unlikely to earn enough to have to repay it.

There will be quite a bit of science in a nursing degree, so do be prepared for that. Maybe a bit more at this stage would be useful.

Are you sure that you can use an Access to Social Science to get into a nursing degree? There are different Access subjects and I'd have thought that nursing degrees might need something more tailored to them. Access is like A Levels in that you still have to take the right subject for your degree.

Just in case you weren't aware and it might be an issue, you will also need a minimum Grade C GCSE English or Maths to do a degree.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Klix88
There will be quite a bit of science in a nursing degree, so do be prepared for that. Maybe a bit more at this stage would be useful.

Are you sure that you can use an Access to Social Science to get into a nursing degree? There are different Access subjects and I'd have thought that nursing degrees might need something more tailored to them. Access is like A Levels in that you still have to take the right subject for your degree.

Just in case you weren't aware and it might be an issue, you will also need a minimum Grade C GCSE English or Maths to do a degree.

I got told by uni health and social or science access can get you into nursing but access to health social care is tailored for nursing
Original post by leavingthecity
What area if work do you want to go into?

Adult nursing
I have done exams as external candidate. I have only paid for the exam fees.

These have ranged from 100£ per igcse and say 550£ for each a level session.

And again for course books etc.

But I dont pay for tuition etc.

You can...

Email the local private candidate centre.
Adult nursing

Do an access course. Takes less time, is accepted by most universities that run nursing courses afaik. The access students who were on my pre reg nursing course were some of the best prepared students on the course.

Latest

Trending

Trending