The Student Room Group

NHS Scientist Training Programme 2016 applicants!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 740
Original post by Sarahtoninx
Hi all,

I applied for the STP and have been longlisted (for genomics and genomic counselling), however I am pretty much resigned to the fact that I won't get an interview (a lot of the person spec wasn't in my application).

I am currently a Biology teacher and am frantically trying to get out of education and into healthcare. I have been looking for other jobs in healthcare/scientific fields but am coming up blank for any that I have the relevant qualifications for.

I came on here because I know a lot of you are currently working in lab/healthcare environments, and so I thought I'd ask your advice. What jobs do you do and how did you find/get into them?

Any advice would be GREATLY appreciated, I can't even begin to explain how desperate I am to get out of teaching and into healthcare, and kicking myself that I didn't go down the healthcare route in the first place isn't doing any good!!!

:smile:

Hey there,

First of all - don't give up hope on the STP - I'm sure you will have done fine!

I am also a former Biology teacher who has escaped education (after 1 year teaching). And also kicking myself about not going for lab work/ healthcare route sooner.

I left at the end of a fixed term contract so I was slightly different in that I was out of work for about 6 months after teaching. I applied for a lot of jobs in that time leading up to me leaving and after I left but was not getting many interviews - I think mainly because I didn't have any lab experience (apart form undergrad work) which seemed to be key for most jobs. I eventually got an entry level job at a Clinical Research Unit as a lab technician - although it is basic and was a large pay cut I was promoted within 6 months and have been given a lot of extra responsibility quickly. Overall it has given me the vital lab experience but also loads of other skills which will be beneficial for me when I look for future lab jobs.

There are many places to look for jobs: University websites, NHS jobs, normal job websites (Monster, Reed etc.) so have a look round, I found mine on indeed.

Also the application for teaching jobs is quite different to most jobs so I used the National Careers Service to help me improve my CV as I hadn't needed one when applying for teaching posts.

I had to take a pay cut, but it wasn't a problem as I didn't have any financial obligations. I would suggest you open yourself up to this as some lab jobs don't pay the best and also you may have to start low down just so you can get the experience of working in a lab that a lot of jobs want you to have.

I hope this helps you even a little bit. If you want to ask me any more questions feel free to message me!
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by MrB810
Hey there,

First of all - don't give up hope on the STP - I'm sure you will have done fine!

I am also a former Biology teacher who has escaped education (after 1 year teaching). And also kicking myself about not going for lab work/ healthcare route sooner.

I left at the end of a fixed term contract so I was slightly different in that I was out of work for about 6 months after teaching. I applied for a lot of jobs in that time leading up to me leaving and after I left but was not getting many interviews - I think mainly because I didn't have any lab experience (apart form undergrad work) which seemed to be key for most jobs. I eventually got an entry level job at a Clinical Research Unit as a lab technician - although it is basic and was a large pay cut I was promoted within 6 months and have been given a lot of extra responsibility quickly. Overall it has given me the vital lab experience but also loads of other skills which will be beneficial for me when I look for future lab jobs.

There are many places to look for jobs: University websites, NHS jobs, normal job websites (Monster, Reed etc.) so have a look round, I found mine on indeed.

Also the application for teaching jobs is quite different to most jobs so I used the National Careers Service to help me improve my CV as I hadn't needed when when applying for teaching posts.

I had to take a pay cut, but it wasn't a problem as I didn't have any financial obligations. I would suggest you open yourself up to this as some lab jobs don't pay the best and also you may have to start low down just so you can get the experience of working in a lab that a lot of jobs want you to have.

I hope this helps you even a little bit. If you want to ask me any more questions feel free to message me!

It's comforting to know that there are some teachers out there who desire different career paths, and it's not all roses and sunshine like some of my old university acquaintances make out when they took it up. I want to throw a fit every time someone suggests to me 'become a teacher' because of a nice salary and to right the wrongs I experienced during my dreadful secondary education. I respect teachers and understand you have to really want to dedicate yourself to be a good one. But frankly I hated school and have no desire to go back, even if I can't get a scientific job.
Reply 742
Original post by librarygirl
It's comforting to know that there are some teachers out there who desire different career paths, and it's not all roses and sunshine like some of my old university acquaintances make out when they took it up. I want to throw a fit every time someone suggests to me 'become a teacher' because of a nice salary and to right the wrongs I experienced during my dreadful secondary education. I respect teachers and understand you have to really want to dedicate yourself to be a good one. But frankly I hated school and have no desire to go back, even if I can't get a scientific job.

I would never suggest going into teaching to somebody but at the same time I wouldn't discourage anyone who wanted to, although I would tell them my story (the good and the bad) and tell them to get experience and think about it long and hard. You should only go into it because you want to not because it sounds good. Whilst the pay sounds good - when your working all day every day with little rest its not worth it especially when it is affecting your health.
Here is a list of shortlisting criteria for stp. Hope this helps
Original post by sharpsri

I get confused as to the degree requirements. I'm pretty sure when posts are advertised, the NSHCS says those with a 2.2 plus an MSc or PhD can apply, but shortlisting criteria states you absolutely need a First or Upper Second, with a second degree (assuming postgraduate) is desirable. Which is it?! I was told by a consultant in Clinical Biochemistry to still apply even if I had mixed grades since passion for science and commitment to the NHS is more important. But I'm wondering if I'm wasting my time if it doesn't even meet the shortlisting criteria. :'(

Also is all of this including full descriptions of referenced works by candidates, calibrating equipment, troubleshooting, IT skills etc meant to be taken from the application form before interview? I don't see how everything could have been included given the strict word limit.
(edited 8 years ago)
I get confused as to the degree requirements. I'm pretty sure when posts are advertised, the NSHCS says those with a 2.2 plus an MSc or PhD can apply, but shortlisting criteria states you absolutely need a First or Upper Second, with a second degree (assuming postgraduate) is desirable. Which is it?! I was told by a consultant in Clinical Biochemistry to still apply even if I had mixed grades since passion for science and commitment to the NHS is more important. But I'm wondering if I'm wasting my time if it doesn't even meet the shortlisting criteria. :'(

Also is all of this including full descriptions of referenced works by candidates, calibrating equipment, troubleshooting, IT skills etc meant to be taken from the application form before interview? I don't see how everything could have been included given the strict word limit.

Yeah I was just thinking of the same - it would have been IMPOSSIBLE to include full descriptions of all of them parts; surely ability to calibrate equipment etc. are best to test in an interview rather than cram into a short application form.
Reply 746
Original post by sharpsri

That's amazing, thank you. It helps to get a picture of what they want at least for next year, if this year doesn't work out 😀
Reply 747
Original post by a6georgia1
Yeah I was just thinking of the same - it would have been IMPOSSIBLE to include full descriptions of all of them parts; surely ability to calibrate equipment etc. are best to test in an interview rather than cram into a short application form.

I guess that is part of what they are looking for though. Given the word limits, people will choose different ways of writing which will tell them a lot about how we are suited to the role, and how concise we can be. Writing to a word limit is a skill we should have as scientists, especially if we have considered academic careers - there are always word limits on writing research funding proposals, and submitting articles to journals to be reviewed for publication. Particularly if you go on to follow HSST this is a skill they will want to see. Plus, with so many applications per post we can't really blame them for not wanting to read longs essays for each longlisted applicant 😀
Original post by Ila10
I guess that is part of what they are looking for though. Given the word limits, people will choose different ways of writing which will tell them a lot about how we are suited to the role, and how concise we can be. Writing to a word limit is a skill we should have as scientists, especially if we have considered academic careers - there are always word limits on writing research funding proposals, and submitting articles to journals to be reviewed for publication. Particularly if you go on to follow HSST this is a skill they will want to see. Plus, with so many applications per post we can't really blame them for not wanting to read longs essays for each longlisted applicant 😀

This is true, but I think hardly every student, undergraduate at least, will have a fully referenced published paper.

I feel rather crushed now, reading the shortlisting criteria and realising I did not include everything they wanted! Even though I got a previous supervisor from the NHS to read it and give her opinion. I guess it's useful for next year though :frown:
Reply 749
This is true, but I think hardly every student, undergraduate at least, will have a fully referenced published paper.

I agree it's not something we will have all have done, I meant more that it is something we should expect to do in the future and as such they will want to see potential in the way we write.

Try not to worry, as like you say, it would be impossible for anyone to just tick all the boxes of the shortlisting criteria, and if we did it would likely make little sense as a cohesive piece of writing. Different people will like different styles of writing too and will see points we are trying to make even if we haven't explicitly stated them 😀
Original post by Ila10
I agree it's not something we will have all have done, I meant more that it is something we should expect to do in the future and as such they will want to see potential in the way we write.

Try not to worry, as like you say, it would be impossible for anyone to just tick all the boxes of the shortlisting criteria, and if we did it would likely make little sense as a cohesive piece of writing. Different people will like different styles of writing too and will see points we are trying to make even if we haven't explicitly stated them 😀

I hope you're right, since it's a programme for people who are just starting out in their careers. Soon, the state of applying for jobs will look like this:

CVOWMnmWoAEZI1d.jpg
Hmmm. I am a little confused here:
"Step one
Long listing
Remove from selection any applicant:
without the necessary qualification or evidence that they reasonably expect to achieve the qualification level required
scoring zero in three or more categories"

I suppose this criteria was developed before aptitude tests were introduced. As for now longlisting is basically cutting off people with bad score in tests? So probably all this criteria are not really valid anymore.
Original post by majagaja
Hmmm. I am a little confused here:
"Step one
Long listing
Remove from selection any applicant:
without the necessary qualification or evidence that they reasonably expect to achieve the qualification level required
scoring zero in three or more categories"

I suppose this criteria was developed before aptitude tests were introduced. As for now longlisting is basically cutting off people with bad score in tests? So probably all this criteria are not really valid anymore.

Maybe, but don't the core specifications still apply today? I'm sure it's all definitely along those lines in the current documents. But longlisting has changed it seems.
Maybe, but don't the core specifications still apply today? I'm sure it's all definitely along those lines in the current documents. But longlisting has changed it seems.

It would be great if this guidelines still apply, cause I think somehow my application meets most of them. But plenty looks like they are too specific, especially the ones about lab work etc.
Original post by majagaja
It would be great if this guidelines still apply, cause I think somehow my application meets most of them. But plenty looks like they are too specific, especially the ones about lab work etc.

To be honest, I'm finding it hard to believe that all the outlined criteria must be met purely in the application before interview. Surely fully discussing laboratory issues and troubleshooting are all points to be brought up when talking to interviewers. "Full descriptions" and "less than 250 words" is a bit of an oxymoron.
But like Ila10 said, hopefully it's more that recruiters can see your potential to meet criteria, not that you've accomplished all this straightaway.
Reply 755
That document isn't how they assess us. It's from 2011 which is before the STP existed in its current state and before you had to answer essay questions. Back then they simply asked you how you met the person specification.
Reply 756
Original post by nymv
Hi, I had an interview for Biochemistry last year and got 58/69 for the shortlisting. I was shortlist unsuccessful for Genetics, I scored 43/69. I'm not sure what the minimum is for an interview.

This is a difference of 15 points for the same application in different subjects. There's not enough on that old form that could cause such a huge difference.
Original post by SlipperyJohn
Indeed. Its a nice overlook but now the process must be a lot more streamlined seeing as the number of applicants is massive increased. I doubt there is any observance of this point:

"The absence of evidence in an application form is not evidence that the required ability is necessarily missing from the person. Whilst the listed attributes are core and applicants should possess them all, we risk not shortlisting excellent candidates if they have failed to provide a minor piece of evidence about an ability, although they may possess it. As a result, candidates who score a zero against a particular criterion may still be shortlisted if the weight of evidence suggests overall competence." (Taken from that document).

There is going to be a similar set of criteria based on the questions they have asked us and how we have fit it. I wouldn't be surprised if there was still a 0-3 scale of responses but I can imagine that they are a whole lot less forgiving.

Maybe not less forgiving, it's just a different way of assessing us. We would never know for sure unless we saw the current shortlisting criteria.
Original post by SlipperyJohn
That is true, but I assume that with the large volume of applicants they won't be giving us the benefit of the doubt (as stated in that paragraph I quoted).

Btw is everyone's deadline for hearing back the 21st of March?

No you're right, but the criteria gleaned from applications may be less rigid and support future professional behaviour. (I'm being optimistic).

Yes, it's from the 21st of March. Of course I don't expect to hear from them bang on that date, unless my score is really crappy!
Reply 759
I'm sure they have quite strict criteria for shortlisting.. the process needs to be as objective and transparent as possible and judging the 'potential' of a candidate based on 250 word answer is not really possible. The interview is a whole different story though..
Btw. anyone applied for micro or histocompatibility/immunogenetics?

Quick Reply

Latest