The Student Room Group

Could Britain apply to join the United States of America as the 51st state?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
It's a silly idea. In any case one state of 64m people would hold far too much political power as the single most populated and wealthy state in the Union. If the UK joined the USA it would probably join as a collection of English regions of populations of about 8m people (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Regions_of_England), then with Scotland and Wales as separate states. Northern Ireland would only come along if included with the rest of Ireland.

So what you'd get is the an extra 10 to 11 British states added to the USA...the United States of the Atlantic? You could throw Canada in as well.
Original post by SMEGGGY
You ****ing crazy?? we don't want to be part of the insane USA. Look at it now, that inbred, dumb redneck Trump is winning in the caucuses!

You do realise sander's parents were actually distant family while trump's were not? Nice try
Reply 42
So now the UK wants a collar to go with being a lapdog. :lol:
Why tf would we want to do that.
Original post by Withengar
There's not a huge leap between Britain joining the US and...

i fight for eastasia. down with oceania
What about a United States of Commonwealth...

The Empire shall rise again!
Reply 46
Original post by StableyStreet
American here. Don't even think about joining the US of A

Why not?
Original post by L i b
I wasn't aware Donald Trump was seeking election in the Caucasus. Has anyone informed the Armenian government?

He's also doesn't qualify as a redneck, being quite solidly from New York.

Up state New York has quite a few rednecks. But Donald Trump is a city boy, through and through. Why the Republicans are jumping on his bandwagon I do not know, he's not even conservative, more of a populist.
Original post by Roofas
It's a silly idea. In any case one state of 64m people would hold far too much political power as the single most populated and wealthy state in the Union. If the UK joined the USA it would probably join as a collection of English regions of populations of about 8m people (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Regions_of_England), then with Scotland and Wales as separate states. Northern Ireland would only come along if included with the rest of Ireland.

So what you'd get is the an extra 10 to 11 British states added to the USA...the United States of the Atlantic? You could throw Canada in as well.

Hell, might as well get New Zealand and Australia to join as well. And a unified West Indies? United Anglosphere!
Reply 49
Original post by SMEGGGY
You ****ing crazy?? we don't want to be part of the insane USA. Look at it now, that inbred, dumb redneck Trump is winning in the caucuses!

is Donald Trump an inbred?
Original post by Roofas

The UK (if a state) would be one of the poorest states in the US, the UK is very poorly managed.
Can't believe anyone would ask that kind of idiotic question :eek:
Reply 52
Original post by chemting
What about a United States of Commonwealth...

The Empire shall rise again!

Exactly.
I think people have missed the obvious... if that happens, there would be an instant civil war. The Americans will want to get rid of the Queen but the brits would want her to stay.
Reply 54
Original post by chemting
I think people have missed the obvious... if that happens, there would be an instant civil war. The Americans will want to get rid of the Queen but the brits would want her to stay.

She would become the hereditary state governor.
I'd support uniting with our brethren in the white Anglosphere subject to a few major changes..

1) Abolition of the second amendment

2) Guaranteed control of healthcare at a state level

3) Guaranteed preservation of a ceremonial monarchy
Original post by Thomas2
If we leave the EU and it doesn't work out and we don't want to rejoin the EU under the harsh terms it would inevitable dictate to us...

Firstly, no we couldn't.

Secondly this idea that Britain is so feeble it can't function as a sovereign independent state like, oh say every other country ever is really starting to become tiresome.
wait, i thought we already are.
Reply 58
Original post by ♥Samantha♥
Why tf would we want to do that.

To become citizens of the world's most powerful country. To unite with our brothers and sisters across the sea. To restore the tie that was lost in the late 18th century.
Original post by Thomas2
To become citizens of the world's most powerful country. To unite with our brothers and sisters across the sea. To restore the tie that was lost in the late 18th century.

Fact : they hate you

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending