The Student Room Group
Student Outside, University of Aberdeen
University of Aberdeen

Accommodation 2016

Hey, just wondering what other people are thinking about accommodation for first year? I know there are threads from previous years but thought I'd make a new one for this coming year haha I know it might be a bit early but I just got an offer and wanted to know where everyone is thinking of staying?

Scroll to see replies

oh yes, I've finally found the thread for this year! So nice to meet someone wit an offer for Abdn just like me :biggrin:I've been just looking for accomodation on their webstie, but I'm kind of struggling wether to look for the "flat-styled" accomodation with flats for 3-7 persons or the traditional ones like Wavell or Fyfe house... I don't know about that yet tbh
Student Outside, University of Aberdeen
University of Aberdeen
Reply 2
I'm definitely leaning more towards the flat style halls, I reckon they will be more fun. Thinking of going for Hector Boece since I've heard they were refurbished recently.
I actually have problems imagining normal halls not those flat-based and I couldn't attent Accomodation fair at Abdn... like what, you have toilets and kitchens for every floor? And if so, how many people lives on one floor?
I was actually thinking about Grant Court bc they have this living area like sophas attached to a kitchen...
Reply 4
[QUOTE=itsmecatherine;63002463]oh yes, I've finally found the thread for this year! So nice to meet someone wit an offer for Abdn just like me :biggrin:I've been just looking for accomodation on their webstie, but I'm kind of struggling wether to look for the "flat-styled" accomodation with flats for 3-7 persons or the traditional ones like Wavell or Fyfe house... I don't know about that yet tbh

Haha I was the exact same so thought I'd just make one of my own. What course did you apply to? Yeah I'm not really sure either, I think I'd probably prefer the flat-style though.

Original post by LewisM13
I'm definitely leaning more towards the flat style halls, I reckon they will be more fun. Thinking of going for Hector Boece since I've heard they were refurbished recently.

I've been looking at hector Boece and think that's probably my first choice so far, although previous years seem to call it 'the ghetto' haha but if it's been refurbished recently then I can't imagine it can be that bad. What course have you applied to?
Haha I was the exact same so thought I'd just make one of my own. What course did you apply to? Yeah I'm not really sure either, I think I'd probably prefer the flat-style though.

Applied and got an offer for Law with English Law :smile: and you?
Reply 6
Original post by ASL1

I've been looking at hector Boece and think that's probably my first choice so far, although previous years seem to call it 'the ghetto' haha but if it's been refurbished recently then I can't imagine it can be that bad. What course have you applied to?

Haha yeah I had heard that as well. Got an unconditional for Accountancy and Economics which I'm pretty sure I'm going to firm. What about yourself?
Reply 7
Haha yeah I had heard that as well. Got an unconditional for Accountancy and Economics which I'm pretty sure I'm going to firm. What about yourself?

Got an unconditional for accountancy and finance although I'm thinking of trying to change to accountancy and economics believe it or not haha. I'm still stuck between going to Dundee as well so not sure if I'm ready to firm just yet haha
Reply 8
[QUOTE=itsmecatherine;63042755]
Original post by ASL1

Applied and got an offer for Law with English Law :smile: and you?

Got an offer for accountancy and finance. Is Aberdeen your first choice?
Reply 9
Original post by ASL1
Got an unconditional for accountancy and finance although I'm thinking of trying to change to accountancy and economics believe it or not haha. I'm still stuck between going to Dundee as well so not sure if I'm ready to firm just yet haha

Nice, well I imagine you could just take Economics as your optional module in first year and then decide which you like more ? I was in the same boat deciding between Dundee and Aberdeen but decided to go for Aberdeen. I think the city is nicer and the university is slightly better regarded.
Original post by ASL1
[QUOTE=itsmecatherine;63042755]

Got an offer for accountancy and finance. Is Aberdeen your first choice?

not exactly :tongue: It was my 3rd choice, but I don't think I'll get an offer for my 1st choice (Nottingham) due to terrible LNAT score. I got an offer from my 2nd choice -Bristol, but they asked for IELTS exams although I was doing IB with predicted 7 in Eng B (I'm EU student) and I was like "hell no, I'm not paying 150 pounds" :mad: plus I kind of started to read about Aberdeen and liked what they offered in prospectus, so I kind of ditched Bristol... So yeah, I'll probably end up firming Abdn... lol sorry, that was a long story.. what about you?
Reply 11
Nice, well I imagine you could just take Economics as your optional module in first year and then decide which you like more ? I was in the same boat deciding between Dundee and Aberdeen but decided to go for Aberdeen. I think the city is nicer and the university is slightly better regarded.

Yeah, I think that's probably what I'll end up doing. The only thing that's stopped me deciding to go with Aberdeen just now is how expensive it's meant to be in 2nd - 4th year, apparently it's just about impossible to find something affordable around the uni and within a decent walking distance. I was thinking that as well but on the league tables Dundee and Aberdeen are pretty similar now
Reply 12
Original post by ASL1
Yeah, I think that's probably what I'll end up doing. The only thing that's stopped me deciding to go with Aberdeen just now is how expensive it's meant to be in 2nd - 4th year, apparently it's just about impossible to find something affordable around the uni and within a decent walking distance. I was thinking that as well but on the league tables Dundee and Aberdeen are pretty similar now

Yeah no doubt Dundee would be cheaper to live in, I have friends at both unis and the difference in the price of flats is pretty big. However the Aberdeen housing market is currently nosediving so its starting to get much cheaper.
Reply 13
I quite like the look of Grant Court. The flat-style accommodation looks more fun than the traditional ones.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by ayahs93
I quite like the look of Grant Court. The flat-style accommodation looks more fun than the traditional ones.

Posted from TSR Mobile

girl, I was just about to post that about Grant Court :tongue: Looove the living area-kitchen combination and I am quite positive I want to live just there...Does anybody know when can we start applying for accomodation and is it possible if Aberdeen is someone's second choice?
Reply 15
Original post by itsmecatherine
girl, I was just about to post that about Grant Court :tongue: Looove the living area-kitchen combination and I am quite positive I want to live just there...Does anybody know when can we start applying for accomodation and is it possible if Aberdeen is someone's second choice?

Who knows, we may end up sharing a flat :tongue:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by ayahs93
Who knows, we may end up sharing a flat :tongue:

Posted from TSR Mobile

yeah, who knows :tongue: don't know about you, but I will probably end up firming Abdn
Reply 17
Original post by itsmecatherine
yeah, who knows :tongue: don't know about you, but I will probably end up firming Abdn

I need to weigh up all my options, but it's in the top two :smile:
Original post by ayahs93
I need to weigh up all my options, but it's in the top two :smile:

Yeah, same... but I will probably get rejected by my 1st choice so Aberdeen all the way :u:
Reply 19
Is the accommodation all single sex? As in girls in one block of flats and guys in another, or is it guys one floor and girls on another floor?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending