Well done! How long did it take?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Studying in halls, University of Cambridge
University of Cambridge
Cambridge
Original post by k.anne
Well done! How long did it take?

Posted from TSR Mobile

My status changed from BoGS to offer + seeking college on Monday, got my offer email on Tuesday morning then "Accepted at Darwin" this morning :smile:
Original post by Iain_Hey
My status changed from BoGS to offer + seeking college on Monday, got my offer email on Tuesday morning then "Accepted at Darwin" this morning :smile:

That was quick! :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hi! I'm an international student (from Peru!!) and have applied to MSc degrees at Cambridge, Imperial, Edinburgh and Kent.

I sent my last reference for Cambridge on Dec 15 for the MSc Conservation Leadership and my status still shows "Awaiting consideration by department" in my self service account. I'm so anxious! Just want to get an answer already, don't care what type of answer anymore.

How long do you guys think I'd have to wait? I think they go through UK and EU applications first?

Best of luck to everyone!!
Reply 2044
First poster here. I just learned a few minutes ago that my application status just changed to "awaiting decision by BoGs". Although I know there are thousands of threads saying that this is almost like an unofficial offer, I cannot help but feel uneasy right now.

FYI, I applied to Mphil Econ Research. Is there anyone who also applied for this program ? I was wondering how long it would take to receive the official offer after being on my current stage.

Thanks in advance
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by sazs
First poster here. I just learned a few minutes ago that my application status just changed to "awaiting decision by BoGs". Although I know there are thousands of threads saying that this is almost like an unofficial offer, I cannot help but feel uneasy right now.

FYI, I applied to Mphil Econ Research. Is there anyone who also applied for this program ? I was wondering how long it would take to receive the official offer after being on my current stage.

Thanks in advance

Hey
How long did it take for your status to change from Degree committee to BoGS ?
Original post by Iain_Hey
Just got offered a place at Darwin. Guess I'm happy with that. :smile:

Congratulations! :party:
What are you people asked during your interview, content related to your research proposal? technical stuff? I am going to have an interview on Monday. I would like to feel prepared to whatever may come.
Reply 2048
Original post by rajput05
Hey
How long did it take for your status to change from Degree committee to BoGS ?

I'm not sure how long it was exactly. I lost track on the way, but it would be safe to say around 2-3 weeks. However, I heard it differs depending on the program you apply for.
Original post by Young Oldman
What are you people asked during your interview, content related to your research proposal? technical stuff? I am going to have an interview on Monday. I would like to feel prepared to whatever may come.

I think it is very dependent on what department you're in. I had an interview in Physics. The meeting with supervisor and group was quite informal- I was just talking about what I am doing in my Masters project, what research I did in the summer and so on, but it was mainly focused on telling me about the group's research and the projects on offer.

The interview with the Doctoral Training Grant was more formal, but not hugely so. It was quite intense though. I spoke a lot about my project, and the two interviewers were really grilling me about what I was doing, why I was doing it, etc. It was quite tough but they didn't ask anything totally unexpected. They did query the jump I was making between hard condensed matter to something heavily experimental and more applied, but I have a convincing (to me!) answer for that.

All in all, I got no technical questions about anything other than my project work (and they were genuine questions, not designed to trip me up.) Nobody mentioned anything about what I'd written in my application although the research interests of my interviewers makes me think they'd been chosen because of what I'd written (I'd written my favourite courses were in their areas, and then my summer research and Masters work were in their respective areas, so I guess they could have picked me up on that?)

Also, I was really worried about what to wear. I went business-casual (black trousers, loafers and a smart top with a cardigan) and I think that was on the right level. A suit might have been a bit much, but I think jeans would have been too casual for the funding interview.
Original post by lavaandmosquitos
I think it is very dependent on what department you're in. I had an interview in Physics. The meeting with supervisor and group was quite informal- I was just talking about what I am doing in my Masters project, what research I did in the summer and so on, but it was mainly focused on telling me about the group's research and the projects on offer.

The interview with the Doctoral Training Grant was more formal, but not hugely so. It was quite intense though. I spoke a lot about my project, and the two interviewers were really grilling me about what I was doing, why I was doing it, etc. It was quite tough but they didn't ask anything totally unexpected. They did query the jump I was making between hard condensed matter to something heavily experimental and more applied, but I have a convincing (to me!) answer for that.

All in all, I got no technical questions about anything other than my project work (and they were genuine questions, not designed to trip me up.) Nobody mentioned anything about what I'd written in my application although the research interests of my interviewers makes me think they'd been chosen because of what I'd written (I'd written my favourite courses were in their areas, and then my summer research and Masters work were in their respective areas, so I guess they could have picked me up on that?)

Also, I was really worried about what to wear. I went business-casual (black trousers, loafers and a smart top with a cardigan) and I think that was on the right level. A suit might have been a bit much, but I think jeans would have been too casual for the funding interview.

Right great reply. I am not worried about the clothes because I will be interviewed through skype.

I am a bit worried about being asked questions that may trip me out. Actually the topic I want to do research on, it is something I have no experience at all and on top of that It's something that I am just beginning to learn, my knowledge is quite limited. However I want to to this because it's the career path I want to follow and where I feel there would be a lot of work in the future. Additionally the provisional research proposal I made was based on a provisional topic I was given by my person of interest so I what I wrote on the application was a bit too general and limited as well. I am an engineering and I am actually trying to enter a field that is very much ruled by physicists.
Out of interest has anyone who hasn't got into their first two colleges ever got one that wasn't a woman's/grad/mature or really far away one? (Ie. Sidney Sussex, catz etc.)

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by emmaross
Out of interest has anyone who hasn't got into their first two colleges ever got one that wasn't a woman's/grad/mature or really far away one? (Ie. Sidney Sussex, catz etc.)

Posted from TSR Mobile

I was looking at old posts and someone got pooled to Jesus, and another to Caius, but it seems like that is a very rare occurrence.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Young Oldman
Right great reply. I am not worried about the clothes because I will be interviewed through skype.

I am a bit worried about being asked questions that may trip me out. Actually the topic I want to do research on, it is something I have no experience at all and on top of that It's something that I am just beginning to learn, my knowledge is quite limited. However I want to to this because it's the career path I want to follow and where I feel there would be a lot of work in the future. Additionally the provisional research proposal I made was based on a provisional topic I was given by my person of interest so I what I wrote on the application was a bit too general and limited as well. I am an engineering and I am actually trying to enter a field that is very much ruled by physicists.

In regards to the topic I'll be researching on for my Masters, I knew nothing of it. But make sure you for the minimum, read about the subject, understand some of the area, the bits of the topic, some consensus on just a faint idea on how you'll do the research. Because that's what I was mainly tested on, if I didn't do my reading it would have been disastrous.

Sent from mobile
Got my first choice of Clare for a PhD in Medical Science, anyone else going there?
Can any one provide a link on the meeting dates/times of the BoGS please? Furthermore, if anyone knows, under which department is JBS classified under?
Was accepted at Newnham, my second choice. ^^
Original post by BruceWaynee
Can any one provide a link on the meeting dates/times of the BoGS please?

This is purely for administrative purposes. I fail to see how this is relevant to an applicant.

Original post by BruceWaynee
Furthermore, if anyone knows, under which department is JBS classified under?

Itself.
Yay!! After two weeks waiting to hear back from my 1st choice.... I´ve been accepted at Trinity College :smile: :smile: :smile:
Through to BoGS!! :smile::smile::smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending