The Student Room Group

Police Talk - Girls are 'asking' for it by wearing school skirts above the knee.

closed
(edited 8 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Your definitely not overreacting. I hope you challenged that archaic attitude when it was expressed. I'm very quiet in class but hell would freeze over before I'd listen to that and remain silent.
Reply 2
Thats disgusting. No one asks for rape, if they asked it wouldn't be rape because it would be consensual. What idiots, they should be fired.
Reply 3
That's totally out of order but sadly I'm not surprised. The police have quite a bad rep with sexual offences (and look how they did their jobs (or not) in Rotherham etc.).

Just out of curiosity - these police officers, were any of them female?
Original post by Undec
and by doing such we should not blame the men for their actions.=

I doubt he said that.
Reply 5
This from the Police is quite worrying to say the least. :colonhash:

Apparently short skirts are also 'unfair' on male teachers. :tongue:
(edited 8 years ago)
And what about those who are raped and were not dressed provocatively. Stupid police, scary to think that these idiots are meant to be keeping the community safe :colonhash:
Reply 7
Original post by llys
That's totally out of order but sadly I'm not surprised. The police have quite a bad rep with sexual offences (and look how they did their jobs (or not) in Rotherham etc.).

Just out of curiosity - these police officers, were any of them female?

There was a female and a male officer.
The female officer talked calmly and about that we should be aware of our surroundings, social media ex.
The male one was saying all of the comments about us asking for it.
First of all that is a disgusting attitude especially towards children! Also, I don't understand the logic of this argument at all, are they trying to say that up until the point of seeing a girl in a short skirt, they are wholesome, good natured human beings, honestly makes me sick :frown:
This is why we need feminism.
These factors are irrelevant with rape;
Sexual orientation.

Rape is f*ckin rape. Today's society needs to accept that and not make crappy excuses.

And oh hell no you weren't overreacting. Those comments were just vile :angry:
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by stefano865
This from the Police is quite worrying to say the least. :colonhash:

Apparently short skirts are also 'unfair' on male teachers. :tongue:

Exactly! We were told this at our school too.
Original post by Anonymous
This is why we need feminism.

Girls in developing countries being stoned to death because they want to educate themselves is why we need feminism.
Reply 13
Original post by Undec
There was a female and a male officer.
The female officer talked calmly and about that we should be aware of our surroundings, social media ex.
The male one was saying all of the comments about us asking for it.

Sad. I think for the police, maybe it's just easier to put people off reporting crimes than to deal with criminals. Nobody wants to deal with criminals because they are dangerous. Victims are easy by comparison.

TBH, if I ever needed to report a rape, I would bring a lawyer, and ask to speak to a female officer. Make no mistake though, women victim blame too (hence the lawyer).
I'll believe it when i hear him say it.
Original post by Undec
Today in school we were given a police talk by some officers. They came to remind us of the importance of being street smart and aware of what may be going on around when we go to and fro school. I agree that we should be taught this and should be aware how to keep safe. However where they crossed the line in my opinion is saying that we (being a girl school) should avoid going into our bus station/ tube station so that we won't be targeted by sexual predators. (ok) Then they go on to say that by walking into the station with our skirts above our knees we are asking for the male attention and by doing such we should not blame the men for their actions. Simply, if we get raped or harassed it is our fault because us girls (11-18) have been "asking for it" and that all boys/men are animals that have no self control.
Opinions on this? A lot of people are really angry about this in my school and I know that a few are writing letters. I completely understand that we have to look presentable and wear our uniform respectfully but to go as far as saying that if we go to the station with our skirts we are attracting unwanted attention. I seriously doubt they went to the boy school next door to tell them not to sexualise young girls.
Anyone have any opinions about this or we over reacting?

This is an absolutely awful thing for a police office to say to teenage girls. Saying there are no-go areas (such as a tube station/bus station) and that girls are "asking for it" is awful. This is not ok in 2016.

Find out how to make a formal complaint and then do it. I would also ask your parents to complain to the school if they're likely to be sympathetic.

This is so, so not ok, and I'm so glad you recognise this for the ******** it is.

If I'd been talked to like this when I was your age, it would have probably discouraged me from going to the police if anything happened- if nothing else, they need to be creating an environment where girls feel able to report rape and sexual assault.
Original post by Etomidate
Girls in developing countries being stoned to death because they want to educate themselves is why we need feminism.

It's possible to need feminism for more than one reason. Rape culture in western countries is one of those reasons.
Reply 17
Original post by Etomidate

There are many reasons we need feminism; the issue raised by OP and your example are both extremely vital for feminism. However, your point is off-topic and it seems to imply that the issue at hand is unimportant.

We shouldn't trivialise actions like this because these toxic ideas can fuel the motives of a potential rapist.
What a disgusting thing to say; shorter skirts do not warrant unwanted male attention, harassment etc.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending