The Student Room Group

Have a messed up???

In GCSE I got an A* in photography and art&design and they were my favourite subjects! I'm now doing A levels and I did take art but my teacher was AWFUL and made it hell, he took a subject I loved and messed it up (ask if you want to know how) buy yeah, so I dropped it, but now I miss art and photography a lot :frown: I feel like I'm good at them because I got 100% in both but I cannot take it again at my school because i will have the AWFUL teacher again and it makes me hate art...I'm stuck:frown: should I just do art as a hobby..? can i get a career in illustration or photography without an a level in art or photography? thanks for any help :smile:
Original post by lilylf
In GCSE I got an A* in photography and art&design and they were my favourite subjects! I'm now doing A levels and I did take art but my teacher was AWFUL and made it hell, he took a subject I loved and messed it up (ask if you want to know how) buy yeah, so I dropped it, but now I miss art and photography a lot :frown: I feel like I'm good at them because I got 100% in both but I cannot take it again at my school because i will have the AWFUL teacher again and it makes me hate art...I'm stuck:frown: should I just do art as a hobby..? can i get a career in illustration or photography without an a level in art or photography? thanks for any help :smile:

hm, maybe either move colleges or take a foundation year if you are serious about doing photography/illustration based degrees because you will need a portfolio for uni interviews and more importantly, experience. how did your teacher ruin art for you? :frown: i had that with french but luckily for me, art was my favourite subject too and i had a good teacher for that and now im studying graphic design at uni. maybe talk to a tutor/parent/friend/adult/member of your college admin to see what they suggest but if it is really that bad then i would strongly suggest either changing colleges or doing a foundation art year as well as alevels to get to uni:smile:
Reply 2
Original post by Justmoll28
hm, maybe either move colleges or take a foundation year if you are serious about doing photography/illustration based degrees because you will need a portfolio for uni interviews and more importantly, experience. how did your teacher ruin art for you? :frown: i had that with french but luckily for me, art was my favourite subject too and i had a good teacher for that and now im studying graphic design at uni. maybe talk to a tutor/parent/friend/adult/member of your college admin to see what they suggest but if it is really that bad then i would strongly suggest either changing colleges or doing a foundation art year as well as alevels to get to uni:smile:

I might do a foundation art year thanks for the idea:smile: would I do that after I finish my A levels? and would it only last for a year? and he ruined it for many reasons, i had him for GCSE photography sometimes and he was a rubbish teacher he would sit at his computer and when you asked for help he would tell you to ''bother someone else'' and so i never knew what to do:frown: also he would spend one hour lessons talking about himself and how he loves motorbikes (idk he's weird) so he wasted our time he was meant to be the head of art too, but he never helped and said I didn't do the work because I was ''lazy'' and ''didn't care'' and he embarrassed me and others who didn't know what to do in front of everyone because he didn't help us at all. It really sucked, and it was way worse then I have explained. but yeah, thanks for the idea:smile:
Original post by lilylf
I might do a foundation art year thanks for the idea:smile: would I do that after I finish my A levels? and would it only last for a year? and he ruined it for many reasons, i had him for GCSE photography sometimes and he was a rubbish teacher he would sit at his computer and when you asked for help he would tell you to ''bother someone else'' and so i never knew what to do:frown: also he would spend one hour lessons talking about himself and how he loves motorbikes (idk he's weird) so he wasted our time he was meant to be the head of art too, but he never helped and said I didn't do the work because I was ''lazy'' and ''didn't care'' and he embarrassed me and others who didn't know what to do in front of everyone because he didn't help us at all. It really sucked, and it was way worse then I have explained. but yeah, thanks for the idea:smile:

yeah art foundations only are 1 year old (and free for under 19 year olds!) and youd do it after your a levels, but man what a **** teacher!! all the best:smile:

Quick Reply

Latest