The Student Room Group

what a levels should i take if i want to get to medicine in september 2018?

hey guys
basically, i want to get into medicine, preferably in the university of birmingham and i am unsure as to what a level options i should take. i am doing biology, chemistry and most probably maths. however, i don't know if i should do physics. my family are against it because they think it is too hard and not necessary. but a levels are now linear and most people take 3. do you think universities would want to see 4 a levels from a medicine candidate? also, biology, chemistry and physics are reformed but maths is not.

is physics or a fourth a level necessary?
Original post by Sam2468
hey guys
basically, i want to get into medicine, preferably in the university of birmingham and i am unsure as to what a level options i should take. i am doing biology, chemistry and most probably maths. however, i don't know if i should do physics. my family are against it because they think it is too hard and not necessary. but a levels are now linear and most people take 3. do you think universities would want to see 4 a levels from a medicine candidate? also, biology, chemistry and physics are reformed but maths is not.

Physics is not necessary (unless you want to apply to Cambridge who want 3 sciences) and neither is Maths (again, unless you want to go to Cambridge). The new requirements are slowly starting to trickle out and it seems most places will only want 3 a-levels (currently most places wanted a 4th as, but no where required 4 full a-levels).

If you can, wait until this admission cycle is over and then hopefully most universities will release their requirements for 2017 entry (which will give you an idea if any require a 4th AS). After chem and bio pick a third subject that you enjoy and are most likely to get an A in (it doesn't have to be maths).
Original post by Sam2468
hey guys

as someone who is applying for medicine this year, I'm only doing 3 a levels bio, chem and maths.
I suggest stick with 3 and make sure you get the best grades - Like A*'s and A's.
But on top of all that i suggest that you should do an EPQ so universities know that you do other things apart from your a levels
Hey, I've actually got 2 offers this year for medicine (I'm doing bio, chem, maths as well) and think these are really good choices..From what I've heard a 4th a level confers no advantage at all and if anything is not a good idea, as it takes the focus away from your other 3. You'll never get an offer that involves 4 grades. :smile:
I would 100% wait till you go to open days to find out what the universities want.
If you have to pick A level subjects before then perhaps pick 4 and if you only need 3 drop the one you least like.
With regards to physics, only do it if you love it. From medicine interviews it's amazing how many medics do subjects such as psychology and languages - it's not all science!😄😄

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 5
Original post by ForestCat
Physics is not necessary (unless you want to apply to Cambridge who want 3 sciences) and neither is Maths (again, unless you want to go to Cambridge). The new requirements are slowly starting to trickle out and it seems most places will only want 3 a-levels (currently most places wanted a 4th as, but no where required 4 full a-levels).

If you can, wait until this admission cycle is over and then hopefully most universities will release their requirements for 2017 entry (which will give you an idea if any require a 4th AS). After chem and bio pick a third subject that you enjoy and are most likely to get an A in (it doesn't have to be maths).

thank you for your advice. i think i will wait for the admissions cycle to be over but do you have any idea as to when that is? i have to give in my options choices soon at my chosen sixth form.
Reply 6
Original post by Hannah003
as someone who is applying for medicine this year, I'm only doing 3 a levels bio, chem and maths.
I suggest stick with 3 and make sure you get the best grades - Like A*'s and A's.
But on top of all that i suggest that you should do an EPQ so universities know that you do other things apart from your a levels

good luck! i hope you get in. i was already thinking of completing an EPQ and would it be too much work if i took four a levels and the EPQ? thanks
Original post by Sam2468
thank you for your advice. i think i will wait for the admissions cycle to be over but do you have any idea as to when that is? i have to give in my options choices soon at my chosen sixth form.

Not for a few months. You could start browsing university websites to see if they've put anything up. But you certainly won't need 4 full a-levels. You could always say you want to do a 4th as and then drop it once you start if its not required.
Reply 8
if universities do amend theirentry requirements to 4 a levels for medicine, do you think they will ask for bio, chem, either physics or maths, and then a fourth subject for variety?
Original post by Sam2468
if universities do amend theirentry requirements to 4 a levels for medicine, do you think they will ask for bio, chem, either physics or maths, and then a fourth subject for variety?

doubt it, I think that as long as you have bio and chem it should be fine. As far as I know, currently UCL want a contrasting subject, but I emailed them and they said that they are likely to be getting rid of this requirement for either 2017 or 2018.
Original post by Sam2468

No. They probably won't ever ask for 4 full a-levels.

Currently most want 3 a-levels (chemistry is a must and most want biology. The 3rd is up to you, except for Cambridge). UCL (I think), likes a contrasting subject, e.g. English or a language (i.e. not a science) but most don't care what the 3rd is as long as you get an A in it. There are no 'soft subjects' and the only ones that no where accepts are general studies and critical thinking (except Barts I think, who lets you use them towards your tariff points).
Ideally Chemistry, Biology, Maths and further maths the latter being especially advantageous in competitive universities. I know this is a bit late but people still view this stuff
Reply 12
Original post by P.buh Muhammad
Ideally Chemistry, Biology, Maths and further maths the latter being especially advantageous in competitive universities. I know this is a bit late but people still view this stuff

Could you please not post on a thread as old as this, it's 5 years old.

or @becausethenight could you please lock this thread? Thank you!
Thread now closed as above :smile:

Latest

Trending

Trending