The Student Room Group

A Question to Muslims

The 'Moderate' Musims follow most but not all of the commands in the Quran. Killing people for leaving Islam as one such example.

But, ISIS do follow that command, and all of the commands, more commands than the moderates anyway.

So, my question is: Don't ISIS follow the Quran/Allah/Prophet Muhammad better than the other Muslims?

Don't give me the 'if you kill one person, it is as if you've killed the whole of mankind', as that only applied to the children of Arabia at a certain point in time.

Scroll to see replies

:biggrin:
Original post by ControversialLad
The 'Moderate' Musims follow most but not all of the commands in the Quran. Killing people for leaving Islam as one such example.

But, ISIS do follow that command, and all of the commands, more commands than the moderates anyway.

So, my question is: Don't ISIS follow the Quran/Allah/Prophet Muhammad better than the other Muslims?

Don't give me the 'if you kill one person, it is as if you've killed the whole of mankind', as that only applied to the children of Arabia at a certain point in time.
ISIS takes the Quranic verses out of context and they mix their culture with religion.
Original post by Beardie26
:biggrin:

Thanks, that was really insightful.
Original post by haj101
ISIS take the Quran out of context and mix their culture with religion.

Examples if you don't mind?
100% NO!!!
I think the biggest misunderstanding is not being able to know what the Quran is actually saying.
Similarly to the bible, Muslims have ten commandments or 'rules' that we have to follow and let me tell you, killing someone is one of the biggest sins of them all.
ISIS should really drop the first I because there is nothing Islamic about them
ISIS are a terrorist organisation that seem to be a bit stupid when thinking that killing others is following their religion.
Islam means peace, so if they really WERE following the religion, they certainly wouldnt be killing anybody
Original post by Hannah003
100% NO!!!
I think the biggest misunderstanding is not being able to know what the Quran is actually saying.
Similarly to the bible, Muslims have ten commandments or 'rules' that we have to follow and let me tell you, killing someone is one of the biggest sins of them all.
ISIS should really drop the first I because there is nothing Islamic about them
ISIS are a terrorist organisation that seem to be a bit stupid when thinking that killing others is following their religion.
Islam means peace, so if they really WERE following the religion, they certainly wouldnt be killing anybody

Their are many verses in the quran that condone killing.

Islam does not mean peace, it means submission or surender.
Damn, Daniel
Examples if you don't mind?

Beheadings/bombings etc and then using the media as a platform to display their horrific actions- it's clearly all to do with gaining political power
Original post by haj101
Beheadings/bombings etc and then using the media as a platform to display their horrific actions- it's clearly all to do with gaining political power

Their are many verses in the quran that condone killing.
Religion evolves with society so Islam and all other religions have taken on new meanings than they would have when they were first developed, the basis of any religion would be the belief in its idols/dieties and the basic principles of its teachings, neither of which involve murdering people as ISIS believe, those who truly follow Islam, Christianity, Sikhism etc. would not believe that the acts performed by ISIS, or any other supposedly representative religious group, are reflective of the religion itself or them as people.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 11
b6.jpg

The commandment that apostates should be killed comes from a Hadith, not the Koran.
(edited 8 years ago)

Not really because like someone else said, us muslims have a set of rules to follow. One of them rules is that we shouldn't commit suicide or harm our body. Those who commit suicide go to hell (that's what I was told) and a lot of ISIS bombers are suicide bombers! I hate ISIS all they do is kill themselves and other innocent people and make us look bad when people like me are trying to live in peace.And also I know that the 'if you kill one person, it is as if you've killed the whole of mankind' thing applied to Arabs once upon a time but what about the millions of arabs ISIS is killing in Syria and other countries? The news doesn't cover the fact that ISIS are killing thousands of innocent muslims and then there are non muslims who sit and think its fine because all muslims are evil. No its not fine because muslims are humans too. ISIS on the other hand are not humans and I as a muslim hate them.
Sorry I get a bit carried away when it comes to this stuff :colondollar:
(edited 8 years ago)
60:8 'Allah does not forbid you from those who do not fight you because of religion and do not expel you from your homes - from being righteous toward them and acting justly toward them. Indeed, Allah loves those who act justly'
Original post by Blondie987
Religion evolves with society so Islam and all other religions have taken on new meanings than they would have when they were first developed, the basis of any religion would be the belief in its idols/dieties and the basic principles of its teachings, neither of which involve murdering people as ISIS believe, those who truly follow Islam, Christianity, Sikhism etc. would not believe that the acts performed by ISIS, or any other supposedly representative religious group, are reflective of the religion itself or them as people.

Thats one interprpretation, ISIS disagree, who's to say there interpretation is wrong? especially when numerous verses condone killing.
Original post by Hannah003
Islam means peace

It doesn't.

That verse is a bogus defence, but not for the reason highlighted.
Original post by Hydeman
The commandment that apostates should be killed comes from a Hadith, not the Koran.

Both actually.

Quran (4:89) - "They wish that you should disbelieve as they disbelieve, and then you would be equal; therefore take not to yourselves friends of them, until they emigrate in the way of God; then, if they turn their backs, take them, and slay them wherever you find them; take not to yourselves any one of them as friend or helper."

Quran (9:11-12) - "But if they repent and establish worship and pay the poor-due, then are they your brethren in religion. We detail Our revelations for a people who have knowledge. And if they break their pledges after their treaty (hath been made with you) and assail your religion, then fight the heads of disbelief - Lo! they have no binding oaths - in order that they may desist."
Original post by Blondie987

Well said!!! Xx
Thats one interprpretation, ISIS disagree, who's to say there interpretation is wrong? especially when numerous verses condone killing.

surely by that logic you could interpret any religion in whatever way you want, completely disregarding any of it and just basically using the name

Quick Reply

Latest