The Student Room Group

I got an unconditional for a course I didn't apply to

So I applied to the University of St Andrews for Management with French and German with a year abroad. However I just got a UCAS update saying I got an unconditional for Management? Which is a different degree! Is it possible for me to change this? Will St Andrews reject me if I ask them to change the course? What do I do???? I am very surprised!
Original post by Saya k
So I applied to the University of St Andrews for Management with French and German with a year abroad. However I just got a UCAS update saying I got an unconditional for Management? Which is a different degree! Is it possible for me to change this? Will St Andrews reject me if I ask them to change the course? What do I do???? I am very surprised!

They can't withdraw the offer once they've made it so you could ask to change but chances are your first choice course is full/you didn't meet the standards they wanted so they've offered you this instead. There's no harm in asking for an explanation, though.
you most likely didnt get the grades for your desired course so they have offered you an alternative, you cant change that
Reply 3
]
Original post by mscaffrey
They can't withdraw the offer once they've made it so you could ask to change but chances are your first choice course is full/you didn't meet the standards they wanted so they've offered you this instead. There's no harm in asking for an explanation, though.

Original post by Justmoll28
you most likely didnt get the grades for your desired course so they have offered you an alternative, you cant change that

Ahh okay, that's a bit rubbish actually :/ don't really want to do management
Original post by Saya k
ahh okay that's a bit
Ahh okay, that's a bit rubbish actually :/ don't really want to do management

thats probably why its uncon, so you may be tempted to go for it, but its your choice
Reply 5
thats probably why its uncon, so you may be tempted to go for it, but its your choice

That is quite clever of them actually, it's kind of working on me but now this has made it much more difficult for me to make my insurance choice D:
Original post by Saya k
That is quite clever of them actually, it's kind of working on me but now this has made it much more difficult for me to make my insurance choice D:

yeah, they try to lure in as many students as they can, it could be that your desired course was full but they still wanted you, maybe give them a call to confirm why you got that offer? :smile: i would
Reply 7
yeah, they try to lure in as many students as they can, it could be that your desired course was full but they still wanted you, maybe give them a call to confirm why you got that offer? :smile: i would

I definitely will! I'll get my year head to e-mail them tomorrow (because I can't write emails) haha
Thank you for your help!
As far as I know St Andrews has a very flexible module system, so you should have no problem switching to the course that you originally applied for.
Reply 9
Original post by Saya k

You can definitely change it!

My careers advisor deleted my Alevels from my UCAS (UGH) and I've had offers for completing courses I'm not even on. If you call the universities admissions team they will be more than happy to help, if they do change it, it won't change on your track but it will change on their system which is all that matters. The unis want to help you as they want you to go there!

Hope this has helped!
Reply 10
Talk to them. I accidentally applied for the wrong course. I emailed and they checked to see if there was spaces left on the course I wanted to be on, then transferred me and changed my UCAS. :smile:
Reply 11
Original post by Saya k
I definitely will! I'll get my year head to e-mail them tomorrow (because I can't write emails) haha
Thank you for your help!

You should phone them instead of emailing - there is a good chance the email would be overlooked as it is busy this time of year for admissions!
Reply 12
Original post by Airmed
You should phone them instead of emailing - there is a good chance the email would be overlooked as it is busy this time of year for admissions!

When do you think is the best time to call them? Like obviously not now because it's quite late so should I call them while i'm in school?
Reply 13
Original post by Saya k
When do you think is the best time to call them? Like obviously not now because it's quite late so should I call them while i'm in school?

They wouldn't be open now. :tongue:

Yes, during school hours. Perhaps ask your year head if you can use their office while you call them?

As another user said, the Scottish uni system is very flexible when it comes to degrees (for most subjects except the sciences and medicines). I'm at uni in Dundee, my degree is Politics, and I've done modules in history and english too. So it would be likely you could do the languages on top of the management modules. Not sure about the year abroad though.
Reply 14
Original post by Airmed
They wouldn't be open now. :tongue:

Yes, during school hours. Perhaps ask your year head if you can use their office while you call them?

As another user said, the Scottish uni system is very flexible when it comes to degrees (for most subjects except the sciences and medicines). I'm at uni in Dundee, my degree is Politics, and I've done modules in history and english too. So it would be likely you could do the languages on top of the management modules. Not sure about the year abroad though.

Thank you! If I can't get the year abroad then I'll just go to Strathclyde or something because I reaaally want a year abroad haha :smile:
Reply 15
Original post by Saya k
Thank you! If I can't get the year abroad then I'll just go to Strathclyde or something because I reaaally want a year abroad haha :smile:

I've had a wee dander at the StAndrew's website, and I was right: you would do 2 Management modules per year for the first 2 years of the degree, and 4 other modules per year in different subjects, meaning you could still do your languages. :smile: The year abroad is always subjected to a good performance anyway as far as I can tell, so it's not a guarantee. And you can always do Erasmus, a term abroad?
Reply 16
Original post by Airmed
I've had a wee dander at the StAndrew's website, and I was right: you would do 2 Management modules per year for the first 2 years of the degree, and 4 other modules per year in different subjects, meaning you could still do your languages. :smile: The year abroad is always subjected to a good performance anyway as far as I can tell, so it's not a guarantee. And you can always do Erasmus, a term abroad?

That would be quite good, thank you very much for your help! :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending