The Student Room Group

Was there a career you wanted to pursue when you were younger that horrifies you now?

When I was in year 8 - 9, my interest was mainly rock music. (Yeah, not even classical or anything, literally the plebbiest direction to go in).

I was in a band with my friends, and at that point I honestly thought I would get involved in music when I finish school.

Now I am horrified by what I could've become. Some dumb obnoxious "rocker", who will get bored of his music degree, get kicked out of his MUSIC course, lack in other areas, and end up being a huge failure.

I was saved by moving schools, where I got real interests. My friends on the other hand suffered a worse fate. One of them decided to go to music school, and then quit. The other fell out with the band and quit early, and then had mental health issues, but at least is now back in education. The other is with another band with some dudes, and I don't know how successful he is or will be.

.... Seriously, I cringe every time I remember telling my grandparents I wanted to be a rock star and their disappointed voices. I am so thankful things turned out otherwise.

Even if none of you understand me, the creators of "Spinal Tap" do, and that gives my soul peace.

Scroll to see replies

being in the army
i dunno why i wanted to /:
Reply 2
wanted to be a card impersonator but i got board of it
For some unknown, bizarre reason, when I was a kid I wanted to be a cleaner in a B&B... :s-smilie:
Reply 4
Oddly enough no. I kinda just by default wanted to be a hairdresser when I was little, because I didn't really know too many jobs and my grandfather was letting me cut his hair.
Later I wanted something art related, like a graphic designer or an architect. But I got sick of the art related subjects in school >.>

By GCSE I settled on doing Physics because I realised that I could be one of these cool scientist guys I would see in documentaries.
I always wanted to be a vet. Still do actually, but unfortunately I'm no good at science so that was a no starter :frown:
I wanted to be a doctor. Wouldn't study medicine even if you payed me now.
I wanted to be a nurse/midwife when I was younger but hate blood :biggrin:
Reply 8
Original post by mangala
wanted to be a card impersonator but i got board of it

PRSOM :borat:
No idea why but i wanted to be a Cow Boy...
I randomly wanted to be a train driver for years when I was about 8 and then it changed to being a Broadway performer. 23 years old now tbh, I still haven't decided what I want to do with my life. I'm just winging it
Posted from TSR Mobile
being an architect, takes 7 years and you still need years of experience after to get the big bucks, **** that
After watching True Jackson VP, it was my life goal to sell sandwiches in a fashion office in New York and get promoted to being a VP fashion designer:biggrin:
Original post by LibertyMan
x

I wanted to be a fireman but then life hit me and I turned out to be asthmatic.
#Ripperino #Feelsbadman :cry2:
Doctor when I was about 6 (omg why did I think that was a good idea at all. I dont like biology)
Becoming a vet. It does not horrify me, but I have less interest in animals now, and much more interest in human biology.
When I was around four/five I wanted to become a pilot. I definitely don't now, I want to become an investment banker/ accountant.
I wanted to be a doctor. I'd feel emotional and tearful every time we drove past the children's hospital because being a paediatrician was my one true calling, it was my vocation. Then I realised that there are professions out there which pay more for less effort.
I wanted to be a police man in the dog handling unit for a little bit. Doesn't horrify me but I'm just not that into dogs or law enforcement anymore
Reply 19
First, I wanted to be an ice cream lady. Which I still kind of do.
I considered acting (which horrified my parents, one of which is a failed actor).
Video game development seemed kind of cool but I didn't know how to plug the Wii in at that age.
Went through a phase when I considered being a Chef but then realised I'd never cooked a dish before and that I actually preferred eating the food.
Doesn't everyone have a period where they are determined to get into medicine?
But becoming a doctor was so unattainable, I started to just consider studying biology.
Then marine biology, to be more specific. Except I'm scared of the deep sea.
As the biology thoughts were going on, I had a contingency plan to become a concert pianist.
Alright, career change: law. But this lawyer came into school on a careers fest and put me off the prospect as he talked about awful clients.
Back towards science, I again looked at biology then fixed on geology.
Lesson learned, geology is the study of rocks. ROCKS. Okay, so why not something to do with politics?
Politics can be terrifying so I decided that I was definitely, definitely going to look into the charity sector.

For the past couple of years I've been sensible and am waiting to see what I becoming interested in at uni. I don't have a career plan, I have no idea what I'm going to do with my life, and that's fine.
(edited 8 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest