The Student Room Group

When to get a weightlifting belt?

After doing 5x5 for a while I can now lift my BW in squat but Im having trouble keeping my core tight and as a result find it difficult to keep y form.

Any advice?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Borrow one and see if it helps. If so then buy your own.
Original post by HyphyMud
Borrow one and see if it helps. If so then buy your own.

Yes muscle man, what are your stats?
Reply 3
You need to learn to keep your core tight, it's a basic skill of lifting so don't try to avoid it because you'll regret it later. Also, when you wear a belt you still need to use it, wearing it in itself doesn't give you core tightness which is a bit different from no belt but not hugely so you might not be able to use it well anyway
never, unless you compete in some lifting event
Original post by Straighthate
never, unless you compete in some lifting event

This is my advice. Unless you're going to compete in the short-medium term there is absolutely no need for a belt.

Also if you can't keep a tight core - you need to do more ab work and you need to work on your form. Not buy a belt as a crutch
Original post by Angry cucumber
This is my advice. Unless you're going to compete in the short-medium term there is absolutely no need for a belt.

Also if you can't keep a tight core - you need to do more ab work and you need to work on your form. Not buy a belt as a crutch

Why did you get me banned?
Original post by tootles44
After doing 5x5 for a while I can now lift my BW in squat but Im having trouble keeping my core tight and as a result find it difficult to keep y form.

Any advice?

Once you have correct technique nailed down and feel like you need one, get one. But make sure it's one that is of uniform width all the way around and not a tapered one.
Whenever you have a spare £10. You hopefully won't grow out of it, and you can always not use it if you don't like it.
Also this video on ribcage positioning has helped me quite a bit.

Strengthen your core instead, it'll pay dividends in the long run.
Reply 11
Original post by WoodyMKC
Strengthen your core instead, it'll pay dividends in the long run.

do squats strengthen your core?
Reply 12
Original post by Angry cucumber

can you recommend ab exercises that aren't planks pls? Are cable crunches good?
Chris duffin has an excellent video on supertraining' s YouTube on creating stability within the squat, can't link atm unfortunately

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yes, albeit in different aspect to more traditional core exercises like crunches and sit-ups

Posted from TSR Mobile

Not to any significant degree. Deadlifts would help a lot more. The idea is to add direct work for both the abs and lower back. Planks are great though, a real one-stop shop, and you can do them at home in your spare time.
Never had abs be the weak point on my squat unless I was using a lot of gear. More likely to be a technique issue IMO (see the video I posted about overarching). Especially likely since OP is a woman.
Reply 17
I'm also going to shout up and say no to the belt. Get a PT session and work on your form. Work on your core strength. I like TRX crunches and russian twists for core work, but whatever works for you. A nurse told me off once for using a knee support, with the reasoning that the muscles and tendons should be far stronger than a bit of neoprene and elastic, and to go see a physio. She was right.
Original post by SmashConcept
Never had abs be the weak point on my squat unless I was using a lot of gear. More likely to be a technique issue IMO (see the video I posted about overarching). Especially likely since OP is a woman.

Yes, I would agree with this. Squats work the abs extremely hard. If you're squatting correctly you won't have weak abs.
Original post by SmashConcept

lmao. Everything is a weakpoint wigga.

Quick Reply

Latest