The Student Room Group

Really lonely at uni.

I'm currently studying in London and I'm so lonely. I'm in a flat with 5 other people but they're unsocial and none of them speak any English anyway. I have a couple friends on my course but only 2 live on campus and they go home once the week lectures are over, so I'm just on campus. Alone. I spend all day with Iplayer on just to hear a voice (so tragic) my boyfriend is up in Manchester and I miss him so much. We see each other every 10 days for about 5 days and I'm so happy and social then and I have the best time but soon as I get back to London I'm just so depressed and I'm so bored and lonely. I just don't know what to do. I've only got 4 weeks until Easter and then after Easter I'm back in London for a week so it's not like I'm desperate to drop out, I want to finish it, but I'm just so lonely and stressed.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Scroll to see replies

Just as lonely on here 😂

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3
Have you joined any societies or sports clubs?
Reply 4
Original post by AdorableDrip
Just as lonely on here 😂

Aww :hugs:

Even though you don't talk to the people in your flat, there must be people on your course that you get along with?
I study in London too, wanna PM? :smile:
Reply 6
Just as lonely on here 😂

Posted from TSR Mobile

join a society make some friends with similar interests
Reply 7
Just as lonely on here 😂

Posted from TSR Mobile

:jumphug:
*Hugs*
Original post by Alexion
Aww :hugs:

Even though you don't talk to the people in your flat, there must be people on your course that you get along with?

Yeah, but my course is 2 days a week and I only really see them when I have lectures

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by mangala
join a society make some friends with similar interests

I'm only here for 4 more weeks so I see little point now :P

Posted from TSR Mobile
lol you have a boyfriend and friends at uni and ur 'lonely' ?

pls, stop acting like a child
I felt the exact same when I was studying English Literature at Edinburgh University. I did a semester, hated it (also hated my course) and dropped out at xmas time. Then I started Biomedical Science at Newcastle Uni. I'm now in my second year. Dropping out was the best thing I ever did. I went to uni to make friends and have fun as well as study and in Edinburgh my flatmates were not into going out much and I felt very isolated and lonely; probably the worst I've ever felt. Newcastle couldn't be more different, the night life is amazing and I have a group of close, like-minded friends who I am so glad I met, even if I had to go through dropping out first to end up in their year!

Try to join some societies and make friends that way, literally just impose yourself on new people and be as social as possible to try to make new friends. I know that can be super hard once you're stuck in a rut though and even feeling unsocial because you're so sad about how lonely you feel.

My advice is dropping out is not the worst thing in the world, it can end up being the best thing. However, it can depend what year you're in - as if you're in third for example might as well just stick it out.
Original post by Straighthate
lol you have a boyfriend and friends at uni and ur 'lonely' ?

pls, stop acting like a child

Please start acting like a human-being
Original post by RosieGirl
Please start acting like a human-being

truth is OP is far from lonely
she has loved ones etc and friends so objectively she is far from lonely

stop being dumb
Original post by Straighthate
truth is OP is far from lonely
she has loved ones etc and friends so objectively she is far from lonely

stop being dumb

You can still feel lonely with friends if you don't see them much. And her boyfriend isn't physically there with her the majority of the time he's at another uni. I can see you've clearly never experienced real loneliness from your lack of empathy. I expect you have never experienced depression either. I'm speaking from personal experience, far from being dumb. You're showing a huge lack of insight :smile:
If you are catered maybe try talking to people in the lunch halls?
You can still feel lonely with friends if you don't see them much. And her boyfriend isn't physically there with her the majority of the time he's at another uni. I can see you've clearly never experienced real loneliness from your lack of empathy. I expect you have never experienced depression either. I'm speaking from personal experience, far from being dumb. You're showing a huge lack of insight :smile:

depression is not being sad for a bit whilst your bf is away
depression is a clinical illness that is crippling, you simply cant compare being temporarily soppy with a disease that causes people to end their lives, which im sure OP doesnt have
This is ridiculous, they're thousands students out there! Make effort

Posted from TSR Mobile
I felt the exact same when I was studying English Literature at Edinburgh University. I did a semester, hated it (also hated my course) and dropped out at xmas time. Then I started Biomedical Science at Newcastle Uni. I'm now in my second year. Dropping out was the best thing I ever did. I went to uni to make friends and have fun as well as study and in Edinburgh my flatmates were not into going out much and I felt very isolated and lonely; probably the worst I've ever felt. Newcastle couldn't be more different, the night life is amazing and I have a group of close, like-minded friends who I am so glad I met, even if I had to go through dropping out first to end up in their year!

Try to join some societies and make friends that way, literally just impose yourself on new people and be as social as possible to try to make new friends. I know that can be super hard once you're stuck in a rut though and even feeling unsocial because you're so sad about how lonely you feel.

My advice is dropping out is not the worst thing in the world, it can end up being the best thing. However, it can depend what year you're in - as if you're in third for example might as well just stick it out.

I'm in my first year but transferring universities next year and I've got friends in the area so I have that to fall back on I guess but I made an effort at the start of the year but I guess people change over the year and go their own ways really, but next year will be the one 💪🏼

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending