The Student Room Group

Have you ever thought about giving blood?

Poll

Have you ever given blood?

…or have you ever given blood before? Donating blood is an amazing thing to do and you can do it in the knowledge that you're definitely going to be helping someone who desperately needs it. According to the NHS, less than 3% of us give blood but approximately 1 in 5 of us will need a blood transfusion at some point in our lives. They usually rely on the same people repetitively donating. I think if more people knew about the process, it might get more people donating!

I understand that some people mightn't be sure of the whole process so I'll give you a bit of background information in spoilers :wink:

What're your thoughts on blood donation? I'd love to know your thoughts on this issue!

Ethan :h:

Q&A's:

Spoiler

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Whilst you're there, ask about registering as a bone marrow doner.
Original post by offhegoes
Whilst you're there, ask about registering as a bone marrow doner.

This is a very good piece of advice!
I've always wanted to give blood, but unfortunately I'm not allowed to. :frown:
Reply 4
Have done several times and will continue to do so :smile: I need to register for the bone marrow too!
I have :h:

I agree that it is one of the most amazing things we can do for those in need :yep:
Original post by MathQ123
I've always wanted to give blood, but unfortunately I'm not allowed to. :frown:

That's really unfortunate, but you can't help that! It's the thought that counts :yep: simply being in the know and telling others is just as good as donating :woo:
Original post by chance23
Have done several times and will continue to do so :smile: I need to register for the bone marrow too!

I need to do this too! I will do so at my next session in July :excited: good on you for being a frequent giver! :hugs:

Original post by Indeterminate
I have :h:

I agree that it is one of the most amazing things we can do for those in need :yep:

Completely agree! I found out my blood type last week and I'm soooooo excited by it :lol:, the feeling afterwards is incredible!
I can't due to medical conditions but I have tried. I will do my best to donate my organs, I feel it is a duty as my grandmother is only alive due to a young man having a motor cycle accident and donated his liver. I am also of south Asian minority, which are seriously lacking in organs. I feel this is very bad even though many pretend donating organs doesn't conflict with religion, my Muslim family see it bad but are pretty easy to accept it.
I probably will do that as soon as I turn 17. I feel like a lot of people are misinformed or uninformed about the process of donating blood, so this was really helpful :proud:.
Original post by Lawbringer
I can't due to medical conditions but I have tried. I will do my best to donate my organs, I feel it is a duty as my grandmother is only alive due to a young man having a motor cycle accident and donated his liver. I am also of south Asian minority, which are seriously lacking in organs. I feel this is very bad even though many pretend donating organs doesn't conflict with religion, my Muslim family see it bad but are pretty easy to accept it.

Donating organs is a very noble thing to do, I'm also on the organ donation register :yep: in my opinion once I'm dead and gone I'll have no use for them :tongue:
It's unfortunate that you cannot give blood but the fact that you've tried is incredible nonetheless, it's great that you're aware! I donated blood because my dad is only here today due to blood donation, I think it's really important to help our fellow humans out in any way we can.
I'm registered to give blood but my panic attacks are still quite bad and that's the only thing that has stopped me from donating yet. I am AB- and I know supplies of that aren't the highest so I will definitely give blood once I can fully get my panics at bay. The thought of taking a panic while having a needle stuck to my arm and feeling dizzy from losing blood is a bit much for me atm but I'll definitely do it in the future. I signed up to become an organ donor and to donate blood when my papa got put on the transplant list.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by ||TheUnknown||
I probably will do that as soon as I turn 17. I feel like a lot of people are misinformed or uninformed about the process of donating blood, so this was really helpful :proud:.

So glad it was useful! Let us know how it goes! :yep: It's quite exciting doing it for the first time, did you know you can book it in advance? :giggle:
Original post by iEthan
So glad it was useful! Let us know how it goes! :yep: It's quite exciting doing it for the first time, did you know you can book it in advance? :giggle:

Can you do it online?
Original post by Spock's Socks
I'm registered to give blood but my panic attacks are still quite bad and that's the only thing that has stopped me from donating yet. I am AB- and I know supplies of that aren't the highest so I will definitely give blood once I can fully get my panics at bay. The thought of taking a panic while having a needle stuck to my arm and feeling dizzy from losing blood is a bit much for me atm but I'll definitely do it in the future. I signed up to become an organ donor and to donate blood when my papa got put on the transplant list.

Posted from TSR Mobile

:jumphug: the fact that you still wish to donate despite this is so amazing and really humbling, you're amazing! Tried to rep but PRSOM :frown: I totally understand why you don't want to give blood right now and it's totally OK :yep: it's always best not to rush into things and be ready for them I think… good on you for being on the organ donor register! That's doubly amazing!

I found out I was O- the other week, I was so happy I could have cried :rofl:
Original post by ||TheUnknown||
Can you do it online?

You can! Their site makes it so easy! https://blood.co.uk
I used to be so scared of needles but after getting bloods taken for a blood test it doesn't phase me at all anymore! My dad gives blood, and as soon as the blood van comes back to my town I will definitely be going because you never know when you might need blood from someone else!!:smile:
Nope. :no:

I would like to but I can't give my blood.
Original post by iEthan
Donating organs is a very noble thing to do, I'm also on the organ donation register :yep: in my opinion once I'm dead and gone I'll have no use for them :tongue:
It's unfortunate that you cannot give blood but the fact that you've tried is incredible nonetheless, it's great that you're aware! I donated blood because my dad is only here today due to blood donation, I think it's really important to help our fellow humans out in any way we can.

I will donate them because we should share. Though, I sometimes argue whether keeping people alive for longer is really a good thing. The population is so huge at the moment, and I fear the day death is cured. Mother earth will be overloaded! But I digress!
Original post by aoifea100
I used to be so scared of needles but after getting bloods taken for a blood test it doesn't phase me at all anymore! My dad gives blood, and as soon as the blood van comes back to my town I will definitely be going because you never know when you might need blood from someone else!!:smile:

You're awesome! :hugs: I used to be terrified of them from a really young age when the dentist would put me out to take baby teeth out :giggle: but the whole process completely desensitised me it was so easy and it's so so important! Make sure you book online so you don't miss your chance :tongue: https://blood.co.uk

Original post by undercxver
Nope. :no:

I would like to but I can't give my blood.

It's always the thought that counts :yep: I love your avi btw! Have you thought of becoming an organ donor? :h:

Quick Reply

Latest