The Student Room Group

Have you ever thought about giving blood?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by iEthan
…or have you ever given blood before? Donating blood is an amazing thing to do and you can do it in the knowledge that you're definitely going to be helping someone who desperately needs it. According to the NHS, less than 3% of us give blood but approximately 1 in 5 of us will need a blood transfusion at some point in our lives. They usually rely on the same people repetitively donating. I think if more people knew about the process, it might get more people donating!

I understand that some people mightn't be sure of the whole process so I'll give you a bit of background information in spoilers :wink:

What're your thoughts on blood donation? I'd love to know your thoughts on this issue!

Ethan :h:

Q&A's:

Spoiler

Ethan ! How you doin <3 ?

I did twice ^^ now I'm thinking about giving bone marrow
Original post by Lawbringer
I will donate them because we should share. Though, I sometimes argue whether keeping people alive for longer is really a good thing. The population is so huge at the moment, and I fear the day death is cured. Mother earth will be overloaded! But I digress!

There is nothing more amazing than prolonging someone's life. Even if we are overpopulated as you say. Imagine someone receiving your heart which would allow them to spend a few more happy years with their children? I can't think of anything more noble or humbling than that. :yep:
Original post by FrenchUnicorn
Ethan ! How you doin <3 ?

I did twice ^^ now I'm thinking about giving bone marrow

Hey!! I'm really good, thanks :h:

That's AMAZING! Well done! I'm thinking about that too, I plan to register at my next donation in July :tongue:
Original post by iEthan
Hey!! I'm really good, thanks :h:

That's AMAZING! Well done! I'm thinking about that too, I plan to register at my next donation in July :tongue:

Good to hear :smile:

Thanks ^^
Anw AMAZING !! The best gift ever :smile:
Original post by FrenchUnicorn
Good to hear :smile:

Thanks ^^
Anw AMAZING !! The best gift ever :smile:

:hugs: I'll PM you later :tongue: I completely agree!
Original post by iEthan
:hugs: I'll PM you later :tongue: I completely agree!

Whenever you want !

:smile:
I have several times, and am again next month! However i dont do it as often as I would like, because most of the time i cant book far in advance and all the close dates get booked up 😕

I try to encourage my family and friends, but they all seem to be scared of needles!

I am also on the bone marrow and organ donation registers :smile: itms also interesting to find out your blood group!
I would give blood if I wasn't getting over an ingrown toenail. I don't think it's infected at the moment, but the medical establishment presumably would not want me to risk it.
Original post by iEthan
There is nothing more amazing than prolonging someone's life. Even if we are overpopulated as you say. Imagine someone receiving your heart which would allow them to spend a few more happy years with their children? I can't think of anything more noble or humbling than that. :yep:

Oh I see what you mean. I am talking about people living to such an age, where they are practically just waiting to die. It drains society. The other thing being Earth will just be destroyed when there are too many people. Not enough food, land and so on. It's pretty selfish, I think.
Here are some stats on it: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Human_overpopulation

Your thread is amazing though and I will refrain from posting, I feel this will just spark debate, this thread should be more encouraging!
Original post by iEthan
It's always the thought that counts :yep: I love your avi btw! Have you thought of becoming an organ donor? :h:

Thank you! I love yours too, I love cats. :h:

I've never really looked into it tbh. Though now I am interested in how an organ donation works.
Original post by LiquidGold
I have several times, and am again next month! However i dont do it as often as I would like, because most of the time i cant book far in advance and all the close dates get booked up 😕

I try to encourage my family and friends, but they all seem to be scared of needles!

I am also on the bone marrow and organ donation registers :smile: itms also interesting to find out your blood group!

It's so interesting to find out your blood group! I was so shocked that I was O-! That's weird, I was able to book 5 months (I was determined to do it once I hit 17) in advance on https://blood.co.uk ? Might be something going wrong there :yep: A lot of my family are scared too but I managed to convince Mum :tongue: that's amazing! Well done! :hugs:

Original post by anosmianAcrimony
I would give blood if I wasn't getting over an ingrown toenail. I don't think it's infected at the moment, but the medical establishment presumably would not want me to risk it.

Hmmmm, that's a very specific concern :tongue: perhaps wait for that to clear up just in case :tongue:
I didn't know you could donate at 17, I always thought it was 18. I haven't donated, but I have definitely thought about it. I will definitely do it at some point
Original post by undercxver
Thank you! I love yours too, I love cats. :h:

I've never really looked into it tbh. Though now I am interested in how an organ donation works.

It's my cat Onion :giggle: her sister's name is Sage :rofl:

It's sooooo easy to sign up for the organ donation register, see here for more information: https://www.organdonation.nhs.uk

You simply register, give consent and you're done! You even get a card in the post :yep: it's such an amazing thing to do imo :yep:
Original post by drowzee
I didn't know you could donate at 17, I always thought it was 18. I haven't donated, but I have definitely thought about it. I will definitely do it at some point

I always thought that too! I did a bit of research and found out it wasn't 18 though :tongue: I urge you to donate if you can! It's such a great feeling to do something like that. :h:
Reply 34
if i could do it without crying and screaming and fainting I would :dontknow:
put me under and take all the blood you want m8 x'D
Original post by z33
if i could do it without crying and screaming and fainting I would :dontknow:
put me under and take all the blood you want m8 x'D

Awh z33 :frown: phobia of needles is understandable though, have you considered signing up to donate your organs instead? :tongue:
I did it for the first time at the beginning of this month and I actually felt like I was useful for something for once, it's a great feeling :smile: not to mention you get to have a chat with other donors at the end and free biscuits, crisps and juice. It's like primary school all over again. One thing that did surprise me though was the size of the needle, like i'm not squeamish at all but I was like damnnn that's rather big. I got to feel the blood afterwards and it was so hot lol
Original post by iEthan
I always thought that too! I did a bit of research and found out it wasn't 18 though :tongue: I urge you to donate if you can! It's such a great feeling to do something like that. :h:

I will definitely do it and this thread triggered me to do some research. I literally just signed up to be a organ donor too. :biggrin:
I give blood regularly.
Original post by jawsontheflooor
I did it for the first time at the beginning of this month and I actually felt like I was useful for something for once, it's a great feeling :smile: not to mention you get to have a chat with other donors at the end and free biscuits, crisps and juice. It's like primary school all over again. One thing that did surprise me though was the size of the needle, like i'm not squeamish at all but I was like damnnn that's rather big. I got to feel the blood afterwards and it was so hot lol

Hey! I'm sure you're useful :tongue: I completely agree with you though… the rush you get after donating is really something I can't describe… we chatted to a man who'd been giving blood for 35 years! :eek: Really?! I didn't think it was big at all! I did that too, it was really warm and I don't know why I wasn't expecting it to be :lol:

Quick Reply

Latest