The Student Room Group

I'm not convinced

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by Ghotay
It upsets me that people on here always discourage applicants from doing more than the minimum number of subjects. While I understand the reasoning, I loved every minute of my extra subjects and can't even imagine which one I would have dropped

Just trying to be pragmatic - it's fine for those that end up with AAAA or AAAAA because they end up studying more stuff they're interested in (and I have nothing against academic pursuit per se), it's just the chance of dropping grades and potentially offers if they end up spreading themselves thin and ending up with AABB or whatever. I suppose the point is to be practical about it. You only need AAA/A*AA, so it makes sense to try your best to get that. I used to study a fifth A-Level in philosophy/ethics because I really enjoy it, but ended up dropping it and just doing it a bit in my own time. I suppose that's a lot easier with something like philosophy compared to, say, if you really like drama or something. Bit of a tangent, but my point is basically it's just a single hoop and that hoop is AAA/A*AA and there's no point making that hoop smaller by spreading yourself thin.
Original post by Ghotay
It upsets me that people on here always discourage applicants from doing more than the minimum number of subjects. While I understand the reasoning, I loved every minute of my extra subjects and can't even imagine which one I would have dropped

I see where you're coming from (eg if we had someone who'd got 99% UMS in 5 AS Levels, I'd see no issue with him continuing them all), but in this case, I feel OP might just be picking subjects to try to do the "right choices" rather than picking 5 for good reasons?

Perhaps I'm being unfair in that judgement though...
Cos I'm doing french A2 during my GCSEs, and then hopefully spanish wont take up as much as my time for a level as french helps and I have already seen the papers and know what its like, so at college I'll be doing the other four then perhaps drop one.
Original post by ForestCat
Why do so many? Apart from Barts doing more than 3 A2 and 1 as (although the changes in a-level may mean they only want three a-levels) won't give you any advantage and may disadvantage you by overburdening you. but those subjects are absolutely fine.
I have explained above :smile: but good point
Original post by Beska
Just trying to be pragmatic - it's fine for those that end up with AAAA or AAAAA because they end up studying more stuff they're interested in (and I have nothing against academic pursuit per se), it's just the chance of dropping grades and potentially offers if they end up spreading themselves thin and ending up with AABB or whatever. I suppose the point is to be practical about it. You only need AAA/A*AA, so it makes sense to try your best to get that. I used to study a fifth A-Level in philosophy/ethics because I really enjoy it, but ended up dropping it and just doing it a bit in my own time. I suppose that's a lot easier with something like philosophy compared to, say, if you really like drama or something. Bit of a tangent, but my point is basically it's just a single hoop and that hoop is AAA/A*AA and there's no point making that hoop smaller by spreading yourself thin.
Lemme explain: i believe bio and chem will open many doors for me, and I really like them both. I love english lit and I think it would be a helpful a level in terms of communication and writing well, and spanish well, its nice to have two languages and I like it. I chose my strongest subjects so I can try achieve As in (if I work hard of course). And french well my second language is french haha so I was told to do it (it's actually very hard at A2 lol). I didn't want to be silly and choose so many a levels, I chose spanish to be my "soft" subject.
Original post by Chief Wiggum
I see where you're coming from (eg if we had someone who'd got 99% UMS in 5 AS Levels, I'd see no issue with him continuing them all), but in this case, I feel OP might just be picking subjects to try to do the "right choices" rather than picking 5 for good reasons?

Perhaps I'm being unfair in that judgement though...
Original post by geniequeen48
I keep hearing it: "you don't need maths for a level to do medicine" so why do I keep seeing medical applicants with maths a level? Almost all of them! I really don't want to be disadvantaged, I have yet to see a successful medical applicant without the maths a level. Can anyone actually give me examples of people like that? Those without maths? How much maths does medicine have? Could it be self taught/practiced without maths a level? I heard the science subjects such as chemistry are becoming more mathematical which I think is good. Please someone help clear things up for me :frown:

Possibly a trend between people with sciences also having maths. Typically people who do science also find an interest in math, it's not needed though
Lemme explain: i believe bio and chem will open many doors for me, and I really like them both. I love english lit and I think it would be a helpful a level in terms of communication and writing well, and spanish well, its nice to have two languages and I like it. I chose my strongest subjects so I can try achieve As in (if I work hard of course). And french well my second language is french haha so I was told to do it (it's actually very hard at A2 lol). I didn't want to be silly and choose so many a levels, I chose spanish to be my "soft" subject.

I'd probably get rid of one of the modern languages? Up to you though.

Cos I'm doing french A2 during my GCSEs, and then hopefully spanish wont take up as much as my time for a level as french helps and I have already seen the papers and know what its like, so at college I'll be doing the other four then perhaps drop one.

Just to point out. You won't be able to use that grade in French because you've taken it early. And if you're a native/fluent speaker of French already some medical schools won't accept it for that reason also. Do research carefully before you apply.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 28
Just to point out. You won't be able to use that grade in French because you've taken it early. And if you're a native/fluent speaker of French already some medical schools won't accept it for that reason also. Do research carefully before you apply.

Posted from TSR Mobile

How would a medical school ever find something like that out
Original post by Ghotay
How would a medical school ever find something like that out

Yeah lol, I was going to suggest not doing French if you're already fluent, but then if there was no obvious giveaway, then surely they wouldn't find out...

EDIT: Although I've just seen the post that says it was taken during GCSE years, so it may not "count for an offer" anyway.
Yep, I know it won't count, but it's nice to have a qualification in it, for jobs etc.
Would it count to say that even tho I'm a native speaker, my french only started to improve when I did the gcse and AS level (not as lessons, i had to do spanish instead). My grammar was terrible, I still struggle sometimes with the writing and grammar, so would the a level be more valuable? Would it count for UCAS points though?

Also, I've read that universities wouldn't be surprised if they have a language a level in a community language? Apparently french and spanish don't count as community languages but languages such as arabic, turkish, urdu are?
Yeah lol, I was going to suggest not doing French if you're already fluent, but then if there was no obvious giveaway, then surely they wouldn't find out...

EDIT: Although I've just seen the post that says it was taken during GCSE years, so it may not "count for an offer" anyway.

Posted from TSR Mobile
And change it to something else or remove it completely?
I'd probably get rid of one of the modern languages? Up to you though.
Yep, I know it won't count, but it's nice to have a qualification in it, for jobs etc.
Would it count to say that even tho I'm a native speaker, my french only started to improve when I did the gcse and AS level (not as lessons, i had to do spanish instead). My grammar was terrible, I still struggle sometimes with the writing and grammar, so would the a level be more valuable? Would it count for UCAS points though?

Also, I've read that universities wouldn't be surprised if they have a language a level in a community language? Apparently french and spanish don't count as community languages but languages such as arabic, turkish, urdu are?

UCAS points are irrelevant for medicine, except perhaps for Bart's, but I don't know if they'll be using them with the new A-level system. As you didn't take it at the same time as your other A-levels, it won't count for any offers you might get. If it's an easy A/A* for you, there's no harm in it, but it won't give you any significant advantage, and won't matter for UK-based medical job applications either.
Okay, so if I studied those A levels and did well, would I be looked down upon for spanish because I know french and they can be similar sometimes? So if I studied bio, chem and spanish for A2 would I be seen as a cheater?
Original post by Helenia
UCAS points are irrelevant for medicine, except perhaps for Bart's, but I don't know if they'll be using them with the new A-level system. As you didn't take it at the same time as your other A-levels, it won't count for any offers you might get. If it's an easy A/A* for you, there's no harm in it, but it won't give you any significant advantage, and won't matter for UK-based medical job applications either.
Okay, so if I studied those A levels and did well, would I be looked down upon for spanish because I know french and they can be similar sometimes? So if I studied bio, chem and spanish for A2 would I be seen as a cheater?

No, I don't think that would be a problem.

You're overthinking this. Do chemistry and biology, and then whatever else you think you will get an A or A* in. Your French won't count.
Reply 36
I keep hearing it: "you don't need maths for a level to do medicine" so why do I keep seeing medical applicants with maths a level? Almost all of them! I really don't want to be disadvantaged, I have yet to see a successful medical applicant without the maths a level. Can anyone actually give me examples of people like that? Those without maths? How much maths does medicine have? Could it be self taught/practiced without maths a level? I heard the science subjects such as chemistry are becoming more mathematical which I think is good. Please someone help clear things up for me :frown:

You don't need A level maths as a requirement for any medicical school (as far as i'm concerned!). People take it becuase they're good at maths or they enjoy it, which means that they are liekly to get a good grade! Other than chemistry (and for most schools) Biology, you can choose anything you like, in fact schools like... UCL (I think at least! Don't hold me to this!) prefer a 3 non science a level.
I can tell you that theres barely any maths in medicine in general, jsut simple calculations (anaethetist probably have to do more difficult calculations, but thats after med school anyway)
Original post by Freyr
You don't need A level maths as a requirement for any medicical school (as far as i'm concerned!). People take it becuase they're good at maths or they enjoy it, which means that they are liekly to get a good grade! Other than chemistry (and for most schools) Biology, you can choose anything you like, in fact schools like... UCL (I think at least! Don't hold me to this!) prefer a 3 non science a level.
I can tell you that theres barely any maths in medicine in general, jsut simple calculations (anaethetist probably have to do more difficult calculations, but thats after med school anyway)

Thanks! Are u a medical student? If you are then do you think NCS would be good to do for medicine? (National citizen service)
How much maths does medicine have?

Like, multiplication. Maybe a bit of ... division ... (am i saying that right?) ... as well.

Also some stats stuff that you don't touch on in A-level stats anyway. And graphs. Lots of graphs.
...evidence that medical schools still accept students without it...

How about the fact that only one medical school states any kind of preference (let alone requirement) for maths? Unless you think all of them are deliberately shafting thousands of applicants for no reason...

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending