The Student Room Group

Have you ever thought about giving blood?

Scroll to see replies

Yes. I lived with a woman once whose brother had died in infancy as a result of being one of the people given HIV contaminated blood. It really did hit home the importance of the whole thing.

This said, I've never donated. I used to think that, given my heavy drinking and excessive lifestyle, giving my blood would be an ethically dubious decision. I understand now that this isn't the case in general so really should consider donating at some point in the future.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by ByronicHero
Yes. I lived with a woman once whose brother had died in infancy as a result of being one of the people given HIV contaminated blood. It really did hit home the importance of the whole thing.

This said, I've never donated. I used to think that, given my heavy drinking and excessive lifestyle, giving my blood would be ethically dubious decision. I understand now that this isn't the case in general so really should consider donating at some point in the future.

I'm so sorry to hear about that, that's awful :frown:

You're completely right though! It is really important to give blood and you should be perfectly fine to donate :tongue:, it'd be amazing to do whenever you can! :yep:
I've donated once when the blood van was outside my old work. I intended to the second time it was there but couldn't as I was on antibiotics at the time.
Reply 63
Original post by iEthan
You're welcome :yep: you did something amazing tonight, really! It's all worth it for the card :tongue: (kidding :giggle:)

Awh thanks but im gonna be dead so its not like brave or anything
just recycling mah body parts
at least i wont be eaten by maggots or some ****
x'D the card is really cool tbh :biggrin:
Original post by JamesN88
I've donated once when the blood van was outside my old work. I intended to the second time it was there but couldn't as I was on antibiotics at the time.

Hey! Well done on donating! It's a shame that you couldn't donate a second time but there's always the third time! You could find out when it'll next be there on their website: https://blood.co.uk

Original post by z33
Awh thanks but im gonna be dead so its not like brave or anything
just recycling mah body parts
at least i wont be eaten by maggots or some ****
x'D the card is really cool tbh :biggrin:

The prospect at least is amazing when you think about it :yep: you might be long and gone but your generosity will allow others to live on even after you've passed, it's one of the most amazing gifts you could ever give :yep:
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 65
Original post by iEthan
The precedent at least is amazing when you think about it :yep: you might be long and gone but your generosity will allow others to live on even after you've passed, it's one of the most amazing gifts you could ever give :yep:

Awhhhh well it makes me useful to someone at least x'D thanks Ethan :biggrin: :smile:
Original post by z33
Awhhhh well it makes me useful to someone at least x'D thanks Ethan :biggrin: :smile:

I meant prospect! :colondollar: You're welcome though :yep:
Reply 67
Original post by iEthan
I meant prospect! :colondollar: You're welcome though :yep:

i know i know x'D <33 :hugs:
I did it last summer and the whole experience was pretty great especially since my mum felt obliged to buy me snacks even AFTER the obligatory ones provided. So yeah, bring someone who will most likely buy you food :lol:

I feel a bit bad for not going back and doing it again. Definitely will as soon as I can find some time! :yep: ..and probably bring my mum along as well... :colone:

EDIT: Just booked an appointment for one in June! The day after my last exam :smile:
(edited 8 years ago)
Yes but I'm not allowed to.
I've given blood once! Got really excited when I got my donor card too but unfortunately I lost track of stuff and haven't donated since.
In fact, thank you for this thread! Excellent reminder that I should book a slot for one sometime soon! :biggrin:
I've always wanted to, but unfortunately I like dick.:banana2:
Original post by Mochassassin
I've given blood once! Got really excited when I got my donor card too but unfortunately I lost track of stuff and haven't donated since.
In fact, thank you for this thread! Excellent reminder that I should book a slot for one sometime soon! :biggrin:

You're welcome Mocha! :excited: That's amazing that you've given blood and I hope you give again soon :yep:
Reply 73
Yeah I would give blood once I'm 18

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by DedicatedWizard
I did it last summer and the whole experience was pretty great especially since my mum felt obliged to buy me snacks even AFTER the obligatory ones provided. So yeah, bring someone who will most likely buy you food :lol:

I feel a bit bad for not going back and doing it again. Definitely will as soon as I can find some time! :yep: ..and probably bring my mum along as well... :colone:

EDIT: Just booked an appointment for one in June! The day after my last exam :smile:

Hahahaha we got pizza afterwards so I wasn't overloaded with snacks from my mum :lol: that's amazing! Thank you for doing something brilliant :yep:

Original post by Kvothe the arcane
Yes but I'm not allowed to.

That's a shame :frown: but it's the thought that counts :yep: have you ever thought about signing up to the organ donor register?
Original post by Andy98
Yeah I would give blood once I'm 18

Posted from TSR Mobile

You can give at 17! Unless there's a specific reason you're waiting… :tongue:
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 76
Original post by iEthan
You can give at 17! Unless there's a specific reason you're waiting… :tongue:

Can you?

But yeah I'm mainly waiting because I'll have more time when I'm 18

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Andy98
Can you?

But yeah I'm mainly waiting because I'll have more time when I'm 18

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yep! A lot of people think it's 18, I did too until I checked :yep: that's fair enough! :excited:
Reply 78
Original post by iEthan
Yep! A lot of people think it's 18, I did too until I checked :yep: that's fair enough! :excited:

Cool

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by iEthan

That's a shame :frown: but it's the thought that counts :yep: have you ever thought about signing up to the organ donor register?

I ticked the boxes a couple years ago when joining a new practice but I never followed through to make sure I was registered. I vaguely recall a letter. I think I am. I might chase it up.

At least people here are recognising the importance of regular donations :yep: as blood drives don't really work.

Quick Reply

Latest