The Student Room Group

Feeling very lonely, depressed and confused - any advice?

I'm a 20 (21 next month) year old student at Teesside University.

I'm in my second year of a three year course and the course I'm on is stressing me out and I'm slowly starting to lose all motivation and interest in the course.

I don't know what I want to do with my life. Nothing I have an interest in is really worthy of employment (I like to play pool for fun, watch sport, etc.).

My life has simply suffered a nasty downfall in the last few months and it makes me feel like I'm not good enough for anyone and has slowly knocked the confidence and self-belief out of me.

Does anyone have any constructive advice?

Does anyone who lives in the Teesside area feel the same way and fancy hanging out to share their feelings?

Much appreciated! :smile:
Original post by PaulyRivs
I'm a 20 (21 next month) year old student at Teesside University.

I'm in my second year of a three year course and the course I'm on is stressing me out and I'm slowly starting to lose all motivation and interest in the course.

I don't know what I want to do with my life. Nothing I have an interest in is really worthy of employment (I like to play pool for fun, watch sport, etc.).

My life has simply suffered a nasty downfall in the last few months and it makes me feel like I'm not good enough for anyone and has slowly knocked the confidence and self-belief out of me.

Does anyone have any constructive advice?

Does anyone who lives in the Teesside area feel the same way and fancy hanging out to share their feelings?

Much appreciated! :smile:

Have you spoken to your Uni's support services? Many students go through this kind of thing so you are definitely not alone but it's important to find the root of the problem and deal with it as soon as possible, for now I would just say that you will get out of this and that the way you're feeling is temporary and can be combatted by positive thinking and remembering that you are a valued human being with a fantastic life ahead of you, good luck!
Reply 2
Original post by Blondie987
Have you spoken to your Uni's support services? Many students go through this kind of thing so you are definitely not alone but it's important to find the root of the problem and deal with it as soon as possible, for now I would just say that you will get out of this and that the way you're feeling is temporary and can be combatted by positive thinking and remembering that you are a valued human being with a fantastic life ahead of you, good luck!

I just can't be bothered with university or the course anymore. It just isn't fun.

People always say you should have fun, be ambitious and pursue your dreams, but being stuck at university on a course that I can't be bothered with just doesn't hack it for me.

Not to mention I hardly have a social life, I have no idea what I want to do and I feel unmotivated and like a piece of crap that nobody cares for.
I just can't be bothered with university or the course anymore. It just isn't fun.

People always say you should have fun, be ambitious and pursue your dreams, but being stuck at university on a course that I can't be bothered with just doesn't hack it for me.

Not to mention I hardly have a social life, I have no idea what I want to do and I feel unmotivated and like a piece of crap that nobody cares for.

Those feelings are not true, you know deep down that you're deserving of a long, happy life but you need to speak to someone abou the way you are feeling, it is ever too late to change your career path but you need to find out why you feel like this so you can get past it :smile:
Reply 4
Those feelings are not true, you know deep down that you're deserving of a long, happy life but you need to speak to someone abou the way you are feeling, it is ever too late to change your career path but you need to find out why you feel like this so you can get past it :smile:

I'm an argumentative ******** who has a knack for saying the wrong things and the wrong time and spoiling everything.

I've never even had a career path to begin with. I don't know what I want to do and nothing I look at interests me, plus there isn't really anyone for me to talk to. I'm not really that close with anyone and don't have a social life to really speak of.
I'm an argumentative ******** who has a knack for saying the wrong things and the wrong time and spoiling everything.

I've never even had a career path to begin with. I don't know what I want to do and nothing I look at interests me, plus there isn't really anyone for me to talk to. I'm not really that close with anyone and don't have a social life to really speak of.

I'm sure it's no where near as bad as you think, you need to put yourself out there and try different things in order to find out what you want to do, join societies to meet people, if you're argumentative, join a debating society and I'd recommend speaking to your career advisor at the Uni :smile:
Reply 6
I'm sure it's no where near as bad as you think, you need to put yourself out there and try different things in order to find out what you want to do, join societies to meet people, if you're argumentative, join a debating society and I'd recommend speaking to your career advisor at the Uni :smile:

Oh, I do put myself out there, believe me. I don't just sit at home all day feeling sorry for myself.

I go out, wander around town, go to the pub, play pool with strangers, sometimes go clubbing on the night if I can find anyone to go with, among other things.

I have looked at the societies at university and none of them really interest me and I have no idea who my career advisor is :tongue:

I don't know what other different things there are for me to do?
Oh, I do put myself out there, believe me. I don't just sit at home all day feeling sorry for myself.

I go out, wander around town, go to the pub, play pool with strangers, sometimes go clubbing on the night if I can find anyone to go with, among other things.

I have looked at the societies at university and none of them really interest me and I have no idea who my career advisor is :tongue:

I don't know what other different things there are for me to do?

Well you can find out who your career advisor is by emailing one of your lecturers or tutors and even if a society doesn't seem like it would interest you, don't be so quick to decide against it, most societies have open days where you can go and ask questions, and even if you still don't want to join them, you'll still be interacting with people and becoming more involved in social situations :smile:
Reply 8
Well you can find out who your career advisor is by emailing one of your lecturers or tutors and even if a society doesn't seem like it would interest you, don't be so quick to decide against it, most societies have open days where you can go and ask questions, and even if you still don't want to join them, you'll still be interacting with people and becoming more involved in social situations :smile:

I'm not even sure if I will still be in university next year, so there may not be much point in looking into it.

I can't see what else there is to do after that! Nobody seems to want to talk to anyone or get to know anybody!
I'm not even sure if I will still be in university next year, so there may not be much point in looking into it.

I can't see what else there is to do after that! Nobody seems to want to talk to anyone or get to know anybody!

Well, like I said speak to your Uni and let them know your situation, these services are put in place for these exact situations. If you decide you don't want to return to your studies, use the summer to decide what you do want to do and look into as many options as possible :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending