The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
Original post by Zacken
>complains about getting an S1 offer for ages
>says anyone can get an S

Arriving at the conversation late, but who is this guy?
Can we stop with all the lazy hate.

Some of us lazy ****ers thrive:P
Original post by shamika
Ok so you think natural ability is needed for Riemann's hypothesis, but not to take STEP? To give you context, about 1000-2000 sit a given STEP paper. Last year 92,711 people took A level maths. So we're talking about an exam which has selected the top 2% of students who are taking maths. But only 10.9% of A-level students took maths, and not all 16 year olds stay in school. In fact there are roughly 800,000 18 year olds in the uk.

So you're talking around 0.2% of the general population being good enough to even attempt STEP. 11.8% of STEP III candidates got an S. So now we're talking around 0.05 %. You still think it's just hard work to get ab
S in STEP?

Let's face it the vast majority of the population does not like maths and hence are not commited enough to take the step exam. The STEP exam doesn't just get all the best students btw, only the students who's university offers require it so someone who is like in the top 10% percentile at a level maths may take step not just the top 2% of the a level cohort, although most of the top 0.1% of the a level cohort will be taking step. Most of the general population are people who are not committed to learning maths anyway but the people who have attempted to strive at the Riemann Hypothesis and failed to solve it are people who dedicate years on end just for the problem and have seen nothing but maths their whole lives and failed. So yes it is an entirely different level. STEP is overrated and easier than people make it out to be
Reply 83
Original post by imsoanonymous123
Let's face it the vast majority of the population does not like maths and hence are not commited enough to take the step exam. The STEP exam doesn't just get all the best students btw, only the students who's university offers require it so someone who is like in the top 10% percentile at a level maths may take step not just the top 2% of the a level cohort, although most of the top 0.1% of the a level cohort will be taking step. Most of the general population are people who are not committed to learning maths anyway but the people who have attempted to strive at the Riemann Hypothesis and failed to solve it are people who dedicate years on end just for the problem and have seen nothing but maths their whole lives and failed. So yes it is an entirely different level. STEP is overrated and easier than people make it out to be

Well, we all await your SSS result in the summer.
Reply 84
Some people on here are seriously overselling the difficulty of STEP. I don't have to take it but I have done STEP papers for practice. I can honestly say I have not met a STEP question I cannot do in the time you would be allotted in an exam. And I think the Mechanics and Probability questions especially are quite easy. Just like Maths and Further Maths A level the mechanics questions are probably the easiest questions on the exams.

And also you are assuming all the good students take STEP. Quite a few do not.
Original post by etjayne
Some people on here are seriously overselling the difficulty of STEP. I don't have to take it but I have done STEP papers for practice. I can honestly say I have not met a STEP question I cannot do in the time you would be allotted in an exam. And I think the Mechanics and Probability questions especially are quite easy. Just like Maths and Further Maths A level the mechanics questions are probably the easiest questions on the exams.

You're probably just a lot smarter than you give yourself credit for or you're lying. There's no two ways about it.
Reply 86
Original post by ServantOfMorgoth
You're probably just a lot smarter than you give yourself credit for or you're lying. There's no two ways about it.

Kid, I was doing this stuff when your parents were probably in infant school. I see STEP as a slight increase on Special Papers from when I was younger. And those were a breeze if you had talent.

I can't believe people are making STEP out to be some arcane right of passage. Quite a bit up on the scale from A level (though the material is the same) but nothing esoteric.

And I give myself a lot of credit since I know I am good.:biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:
Reply 87
Original post by etjayne

Are you applying to university this year?

Given that you've already answered: do you really think somebody who's gone through an entire (presumably mathematical) degree at (presumably Cambridge) is comparable to a seventeen year old for whom the majority of his mathematical education has been the dumbed down A-Level?
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 88
Original post by Zacken
Are you applying to university this year?

Already got my offers. Almost 40 years late but still.
Original post by etjayne
Kid, I was doing this stuff when your parents were probably in infant school. I see STEP as a slight increase on Special Papers from when I was younger. And those were a breeze if you had talent.

I can't believe people are making STEP out to be some arcane right of passage. Quite a bit up on the scale from A level (though the material is the same) but nothing esoteric.

And I give myself a lot of credit since I know I am good.:biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

Then you're just boasting and it's quite irritating.
Original post by etjayne

I'm guessing that was directed partly to me. All I was doing was wondering at what point imsoanonymous thinks "natural talent" kicks in, given that by my logic around 0.05% of the population get an S in STEP. Let's say I've grossly understated that percentage for various reasons and that should be about 1%. Or 2%. Or even 5%. Are you seriously trying to tell me that natural talent doesn't play a part in getting to that level?

Anectodally: my wife hates maths. Just doesn't understand how anyone could be good at it, and rolls her eyes when I go onto the STEP thread to help someone. She is, by any objective standard, far cleverer than the average person. I think you guys need to go out into the real world for a bit before making some of the comments that have been posted. All it does is make people here sound arrogant
Reply 91
Then you're just boasting and it's quite irritating.

What is more irritating are people making STEP out be special (probably because they are going to be taking it and thus puffing themselves up with pride).

It's an entrance exam set for basic mathematics at a relatively low level. Seems to be a lot of people talking it up to make it sound they are of the "chosen few" allowed to participate in some arcana.

You can put this down to boasting but I'd be shocked if I didn't get 110+ on those papers. I would think a good 1st class maths degree person from the top unis wouldn't ace it. And there are a lot of those people about.
Original post by shamika

Anectodally: my wife hates maths. Just doesn't understand how anyone could be good at it, and rolls her eyes when I go onto the STEP thread to help someone. She is, by any objective standard, far cleverer than the average person. I think you guys need to go out into the real world for a bit before making some of the comments that have been posted. All it does is make people here sound arrogant

Perhaps she wouldn't do well at STEP. But isn't that simply because she doesn't put in the requisite amount of effort because she dislikes it? STEP probably requires hours and hours of practice and unless you like the subject or are in a high pressured environment where you're forced to take it, you're unlikely to put in the time that is needed to do well.

I'm sure there are plenty of 1st year (non Cambridge) undergrads who after having to step up their maths at University are capable of getting Ss at STEP.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by shamika
I'm guessing that was directed partly to me. All I was doing was wondering at what point imsoanonymous thinks "natural talent" kicks in, given that by my logic around 0.05% of the population get an S in STEP. Let's say I've grossly understated that percentage for various reasons and that should be about 1%. Or 2%. Or even 5%. Are you seriously trying to tell me that natural talent doesn't play a part in getting to that level?

I don't think we need to boggle our minds for the likes of people like etjayne who are clearly boasting. I don't know if it's because he's (or she) is a bit older us, he feels that he must be far better than we ever are since you know, he's saying that STEP is a walk in the park.
Reply 94
I don't think we need to boggle our minds for the likes of people like etjayne who are clearly boasting. I don't know if it's because he's (or she) is a bit older us, he feels that he must be far better than we ever are since you know, he's saying that STEP is a walk in the park.

I didn't say a walk in the park but it isn't difficult either.

Maybe you make yourself feel special by saying this but you aren't fooling those of us who know better. When I was a kid they had Special Papers (or S levels as they were sometimes called). Basically the same thing (I'd give STEP a slight nod in difficulty) and they were not difficult - just like STEP questions are not difficult.

If you think STEP is really difficult then that tells me something. Because there will be kids today practising STEP who think it is quite easy too.
Original post by etjayne

Maybe you make yourself feel special by saying this but you aren't fooling those of us who know better. When I was a kid they had Special Papers (or S levels as they were sometimes called). Basically the same thing (I'd give STEP a slight nod in difficulty) and they were not difficult - just like STEP questions are not difficult.

If you think STEP is really difficult then that tells me something. Because there will be kids today practising STEP who think it is quite easy too.

What exactly are you hoping to gain from this exchange?
Reply 96
Original post by PQ
What exactly are you hoping to gain from this exchange?

Passing time. What are you hoping to gain from your pointless post?

I must admit I am amazed at the mutual backslapping and praise going on about a moderate entrance exam and the portraying it as something special.
Original post by etjayne

You're pretty funny, you know that? I'm already done with A levels and when I used to be on this site with another account I recall no one saying that step was not much work needed to get an S and these are people that went on to be tops at Trinity College Cambridge. I think you should shut up.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 98
Original post by etjayne
Passing time. What are you hoping to gain from your pointless post?

I must admit I am amazed at the mutual backslapping and praise going on about a moderate entrance exam and the portraying it as something special.

I find GCSE maths easy. That's to be expected, it's aimed at a different audience than me. Analogously: I'm sure that most, if not all, people having gained 40 years or so of mathematical maturity and a three year or more degree in maths will find an entrance exam for seventeen year olds easy. Doesn't mean it actually is. You're not the intended audience (did I really need to spell that out?).
Reply 99
You're pretty funny, you know that? I'm already done with A levels and when I used to be on this site with another account I recall no one saying that step was not much work needed to get an S and these are people that went on to be tops at Trinity College Cambridge. I think you should shut up.

Posted from TSR Mobile

And I have met people who did similar to what you just stated and they thought it was easy.

And so you have circumvented a banning by creating a new account? How mature. Now run along kid.

Latest