The Student Room Group

Have you ever thought about giving blood?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Kvothe the arcane
I ticked the boxes a couple years ago when joining a new practice but I never followed through to make sure I was registered. I vaguely recall a letter. I think I am. I might chase it up.

At least people here are recognising the importance of regular donations :yep: as blood drives don't really work.

Hmmm! So you could donate if you registered again? I think you'd be able to get away with it :giggle: https://blood.co.uk should help you out with that, registering only takes a few minutes :yep:

I completely agree with you! It's really important that we understand the importance of doing this!
Original post by iEthan
Hmmm! So you could donate if you registered again? I think you'd be able to get away with it :giggle: https://blood.co.uk should help you out with that, registering only takes a few minutes :yep:

I completely agree with you! It's really important that we understand the importance of doing this!

Boxes are regarding organ donation.

I can't donate blood as I've had homosexual sex in the last 12 months unless the guidelines have changed.
Original post by Kvothe the arcane
Boxes are regarding organ donation.

I can't donate blood as I've had homosexual sex in the last 12 months unless the guidelines have changed.

Oh, pardon me! If you got a letter and you signed up you should be on the register. I misunderstood you!
If it's acceptable in islam than I'm deffo ganna donate blood
Original post by Anonbabes

Yeah, it's allowed in Islam. My mother is going to donate :h:
Yes but I don't weigh enough to give it, so I can't for now :redface:
I'd love to give blood, but I'm excluded on the basis of my sexuality. Makes me quite angry.
To anyone who has donated blood before:

How big is the needle compared to the normal blood test needle?
Original post by Bad Faith
Yeah, it's allowed in Islam. My mother is going to donate :h:

That's good. Atm my vitamins are low. So I'm going to donate after a year maybe.

Even though I hate blood tests, if my blood will benefit someone I'll be delighted!

Never donating organs tho
I've been putting it off for a while, but I think I'll take the leap. All my close family give blood, so it's pressure more than anything else. Goddamit tsr for reminding me.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I'm scared of needles. :frown:
Never donating organs tho

Why not?

It is! :yep: One of my friends recently donated and she's Muslim :yep:

Original post by Serine Soul
Yes but I don't weigh enough to give it, so I can't for now :redface:

Awh that's a shame :frown: have you thought of registering as an organ donor? :h:

Original post by JBLondon
I'd love to give blood, but I'm excluded on the basis of my sexuality. Makes me quite angry.

It's such a shame that the NHS does this, I'm not completely sure of the reason why… it makes me sad though :frown:
Original post by iEthan

Awh that's a shame :frown: have you thought of registering as an organ donor? :h:

I have, maybe when I'm a little older I will :yep:
Original post by Bad Faith
To anyone who has donated blood before:

How big is the needle compared to the normal blood test needle?

The needle isn't big at all! About as thick as an HB pencil graphite and about 3-4cm long. It doesn't hurt at all, I promise :yep:

Original post by PsychoD
I've been putting it off for a while, but I think I'll take the leap. All my close family give blood, so it's pressure more than anything else. Goddamit tsr for reminding me.

Posted from TSR Mobile

:giggle: Good on you for taking the leap! :yep: Let us know how it goes! :excited:
Original post by Serine Soul
I have, maybe when I'm a little older I will :yep:

That's brilliant! :h:
Original post by iEthan

It's such a shame that the NHS does this, I'm not completely sure of the reason why… it makes me sad though :frown:

When I rang and enquired about it, I was told that I'm not excluded, 'all I have to do is not have any sexual contact for a year'. Then I can give blood.

So yes, I'm excluded.
I've donated 3 times but haven't since as i've been busy or had the flu when i was meant to go donate, hopefully i can go make an appointment soon.
Original post by JBLondon

This.
Original post by iEthan
It is! :yep: One of my friends recently donated and she's Muslim :yep:

Oh cool. We learnt about blood donation , and found that gays arnt allowed to donate blood as there's a higher risk of them having HIV

Quick Reply

Latest