The Student Room Group

what do i need to get this year to get a 2:1 or 1st

hi guys, so in my uni we do 6 modules in second year and third year. they are split it in half so we do 3 first semester and 3 the second. anyway basically my first year didn't count towards anything,so my second year is worth 25% and my third is 75%. so far for my first 3 modules this year I have 65%, 50% and 40% which isn't that amazing. but I am confused on how everything in terms of grades works. what do I need to get in my other three modules which I will be doing this semester to get me a 2:1 or a 1st next year?
Assuming all modules carry equal weighting, you have 52% so far. You need an average of at least 68% from your remaining modules to finish the year on a 2:1.
Reply 2
so does that mean i need to get 60/70% in my last 3 modules? & thank you
I've just done my first semester exams and the way it works (for my uni anyway lol) is basically I had 3 modules in my first semester so that means 1 written exam and 1 coursework (report or practical) for each module. You would do those exams etc blah blah blah then the way it works is...

Score out of 100 for exam + Score out of 100 for coursework divided by 200 then times 100 (since they are 100 each). So would do this for each module then the percentages of each module is then combined then divided by 300 then times 100.

If your overall percentage is 60% - 70% its a 2.1, if its 70%+ its a 1.1

Hope I helped? Lol

Posted from TSR Mobile
Btw this is me in my 3rd year of uni incase you was wondering

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 5
Original post by Lord_lemon_head
divided by 200 then times 100

So would do this for each module then the percentages of each module is then combined then divided by 300 then times 100.

Posted from TSR Mobile

If only there was a simpler mathematical way than doing this...
Original post by Speckle
If only there was a simpler mathematical way than doing this...

Lol its just calculating percentages?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 7
Original post by Lord_lemon_head
Lol its just calculating percentages?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Ok, sorry, my fault you didn't get the sarcasm.

Dividing by 200 and then multiplying again by 100 is the same as dividing by 2...

Similar for your other problem.
Original post by Speckle
Ok, sorry, my fault you didn't get the sarcasm.

Dividing by 200 and then multiplying again by 100 is the same as dividing by 2...

Similar for your other problem.

Hahahah yeah totally right. There are too many things I over complicate when they are very simple lol. Thank you for the simples maths

Posted from TSR Mobile
http://philellwood.com/modulemarks/

Use that site to calculate what you need in everything, I use it all the time it's a life saver.
Original post by SophieSmall
http://philellwood.com/modulemarks/

Use that site to calculate what you need in everything, I use it all the time it's a life saver.

You whipper snappers with your fancy programs.

I just tried my best and went with whatever that produced. :tongue:
Original post by ChaoticButterfly
You whipper snappers with your fancy programs.

I just tried my best and went with whatever that produced. :tongue:

It just helps me worry less knowing where I stand.
Original post by SophieSmall
It just helps me worry less knowing where I stand.

I went with the head in the sand approach :tongue:
Original post by ChaoticButterfly
I went with the head in the sand approach :tongue:

I think too much for that, and my thoughts often don't lend to a restful mind.
Original post by Quantex
Assuming all modules carry equal weighting, you have 52% so far. You need an average of at least 68% from your remaining modules to finish the year on a 2:1.

This calculation is wrong because the op already said that it was weighed 25% yr 2 75% yr three. Also you may be interested to know that some unis drop the lowest grade from the calculation. However i would still aim for a first in your dissertation in order to achieve your goal of a 2:1 as your final grade. BTW i am in a similar position with grades of 47, 55, 78 and a dissertation and one more single unit yet to come, third year grades, which are worth 80% of the final grade in my degree, and grades of 49,42,62,56,72 and 45 for my year two units. But bearing in mind they drop the bottom grade/s, i think i need to get a strong first in my dissertation in order to get my 2.1 . Let's just say a quick prayer!
Original post by john2054
This calculation is wrong because the op already said that it was weighed 25% yr 2 75% yr three. Also you may be interested to know that some unis drop the lowest grade from the calculation.

The calculation is correct. I merely stated what he needed to get 60 in the current year.

Although I wish my uni allowed me to dump my lowest module mark.
his average grade of 155% for three units means that he needs to get 195% for the final three in order to average a 60% grade, or a 2.1 That means he needs to get as you said, an average of 68% in the remaining units. But the reason why your calculation is wrong, is because it doesn't take in to account the fact that the third year is only 75% of the final grade, so say he got all ds (40%s), for his second year, would mean that he would have to do even better, in the final units, and bar a miracle, or falling in love with his supervisor, it's not going to happen i'm afraid.
Reply 17
thanks everyone, but who is he? lol I'm a girl not a guy ahah.
I'm tired so may have made a stupid mistake, but:
If your average percentage in second year was a, the average percentage you need for the remaining modules to have a final overall percentage of b is x, where 0.25a+0.75(x/2+65+40+506)=b0.25a + 0.75(x/2+\frac{65+40+50}{6}) = b ie. x=8b2a1553x = \frac{8b - 2a -155}{3}.
For a 1st, b is 70 etc..
I feel like basic maths like this should be a prerequisite for going to university...

Quick Reply

Latest