The Student Room Group

Asian sex abusers to be stripped of UK citizenship and deported

Asian-born sex abusers will be stripped of their UK citizenship and deported at the end of their sentences under a new Home Office drive, The Independent can reveal.
Theresa May, the Home Secretary, is planning to significantly increase her department’s use of legal powers that allow serious criminals with dual nationality to have their British citizenship withdrawn, Whitehall sources say.
Looks like action will finally be taken over this issue (and about time)
http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/crime/asian-sex-abusers-to-be-stripped-of-uk-citizenship-and-deported-a6896051.html

Scroll to see replies

can we stop calling them asian? asian covers a wide range of ethnics.
The question is why haven't these powers been used much to date.
Original post by HucktheForde

It does but as we know people get uncomfortable when we actually identify the abusers

so better to tar everyone to save sensibilities
Original post by Duncan2012
The question is why haven't these powers been used much to date.

It seems they have only just come into effect and are an extension of new terror laws

But given the length of prison sentences we have plenty of time to get things in place
Original post by BaconandSauce
It does but as we know people get uncomfortable when we actually identify the abusers

I think his point was that Asian covers Chinese and etc.

what......
It seems they have only just come into effect and are an extension of new terror laws

But given the length of prison sentences we have plenty of time to get things in place

Looks like they're using 35-year old legislation. Either way, good. About time.
(edited 8 years ago)

they are asian though, it's not birtish-africans, british-arabs or british-australians committing these acts its british-asians, in britain, generally asian = the brown type not the yellow. In america its the reverse all the brown ones are just indian and all the yellows are asian.

OT: Good riddance to bad rubbish.

Edit: I'm talking specifically about the disgusting rape gangs committed by british asians, I have read the article and am aware that Russian, Arab, Vietnamese and Nigerian offenders have had their citizenship revoked.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by DorianGrayism
I think his point was that Asian covers Chinese and etc.

I know it does but as I said some people get uncomfortable actually identifying the perpetrators so use this cover all term as a cop out.
what......

we say Asian because if we say who they are some people get tetchy
I know it does but as I said some people get uncomfortable actually identifying the perpetrators so use this cover all term as a cop out.

Oh right. I understand.
Original post by Duncan2012
Looks like they're using 35-year old legislation. Either way, good. About time.

AH the article said
'Although amendments to British nationality laws in 2014 making it easier to strip dual nationals of citizenship were primarily aimed at terrorists who could undermine the UK’s security, the Home Office is now using the same legal sanctions to target serious crime, including sex abuse.'

So yes looks like an old law has been amended

But yes, either way about time

Those Chinese again, they're always unemployed!!

Thank God

Though we women will still be putting up with the everyday kind of harassment that is part of the normal cultural attitude of some people from some parts of the world. Touchy subject there too.

:rofl:

All of the crap I hear about Asian parents making their children wealthy doctors is so obviously something which has come over from Korean/Chinese Americans
Original post by leavingthecity
Thank God

Though we women will still be putting up with the everyday kind of harassment that is part of the normal cultural attitude of some people from some parts of the world. Touchy subject there too.

I won't deny we have issues in this country regarding harassment of women and we do need to address it when it arises but as you say finally some may be made aware that this will have consequences and will no longer be swept under the carpet in the name of community cohesion.
I won't deny we have issues in this country regarding harassment of women and we do need to address it when it arises but as you say finally some may be made aware that this will have consequences and will no longer be swept under the carpet in the name of community cohesion.

PRSOM

I was also thinking of the subtle aggression that some people don't even realise is unacceptable in the UK today. Where it's considered too minor to complain about, and if you do mention it you are branded racist. I'm mixed race and a day does not go by when I have to deal with this from men who fetishise light skin.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by TheArtofProtest
I'd be very surprised if any Pakistani sex abusers do get sent back, given the fact that most of them seem to have been born in the UK and hold British citizenship.

Ergo, Theresa May cannot legally strip them of British citizenship which would have facilitated their deportation.

@BaconandSauce - Do you have any sources which state that the Pakistani sex abusers hold dual citizenship?

s. 4Citizenship by birthAnyone born in Pakistan after this Act is a Pakistani Citizen (Except if the father is considered an enemy of the state or the father has immunity from legal process)https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pakistani_nationality_law#Citizenship

Quick Reply