The Student Room Group

Have you ever thought about giving blood?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Anonbabes
Oh cool. We learnt about blood donation , and found that gays arnt allowed to donate blood as there's a higher risk of them having HIV

It's therefore logical for men who have sex with other men to be entirely excluded, because, you know, they put a line directly from you into the person that needs a blood transfusion.
I would like to give blood, but I'm terrified of needles - even getting a blood test is bad enough, never mind having the needle in me for longer :frown:
Original post by claireestelle
I've donated 3 times but haven't since as i've been busy or had the flu when i was meant to go donate, hopefully i can go make an appointment soon.

That's brilliant! Yeah, I bet it's frustrating to have to cancel and rebook because they're so spaced out!

Original post by Dannyboy2015
This.

This is such a shame.

Original post by *Interrobang*
I would like to give blood, but I'm terrified of needles - even getting a blood test is bad enough, never mind having the needle in me for longer :frown:

That's fair enough :giggle: I used to be terrified of needles but this really quelled my fears! :yep:
I know this is bad, but does anyone else get turned off when receiving a patronising and smug persuasive argument the likes that the OP provided?

It wouldn't turn me off properly, but it just annoys me. As if we didn't all know that giving blood was "amazing".

I did think that giving blood might be merely mediocre, but now you've said that it's amazing, I think I'm going to change my behaviour!
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Twinpeaks
I know this is bad, but does anyone else get turned off when receiving a patronising and smug persuasive argument the likes that the OP provided?

It wouldn't turn me off properly, but it just annoys me. As if we didn't all know that giving blood was "amazing".

I did think that giving blood might be merely mediocre, but now you've said that it's amazing, I think I'm going to change my behaviour!

I'm sorry you feel that way, I'd tell you to lighten up but I wouldn't want to further cause you offence! :h: Have a good day, or don't if you are upset by the idea of a day being good.
I'm not allowed due to the medication I'm on. And I don't think I can give bone marrow for the same reason. :s-smilie: (my medication stays in my blood)
Original post by Tiger Rag
I'm not allowed due to the medication I'm on. And I don't think I can give bone marrow for the same reason. :s-smilie: (my medication stays in my blood)

That's totally understandable :yep: there's always becoming an organ donor? At least you're aware of giving blood! :five:
Original post by iEthan
That's totally understandable :yep: there's always becoming an organ donor? At least you're aware of giving blood! :five:

I've been on the organ donation register for a few years now :smile:
Original post by Tiger Rag
I've been on the organ donation register for a few years now :smile:

That's awesome! :woo:
I really wanted to start giving blood, but can't due to medication.

It was something I'd always wanted to do, so it's a bit saddening but it's understandable. Can still be an organ donor, though. :awesome:

Original post by JBLondon
I'd love to give blood, but I'm excluded on the basis of my sexuality. Makes me quite angry.

Completely understandable. It's a load of BS and encourages an outdated and incorrect mindset. They need to get their act together on this front.
Also can't donate.
The statistical arguments irritate me, because it all depends how you slice the demographics. Being an MSM under 30, not having had unprotected sex in >3 years, and having had 3 HIV tests since then, I am significantly less likely to have HIV than many people who can give blood without question.
Come on guys, I'm full of O-ve goodness!
Original post by acupofgreentea
I really wanted to start giving blood, but can't due to medication.

It was something I'd always wanted to do, so it's a bit saddening but it's understandable. Can still be an organ donor, though. :awesome:

Completely understandable. It's a load of BS and encourages an outdated and incorrect mindset. They need to get their act together on this front.

That's a shame but as you say, totally understandable you can definitely still be an organ donor! :excited: I completely agree with you on that front, very saddening indeed. New avi?! What's going on? :holmes: :tongue:

Original post by ThomasPassion
Also can't donate.
The statistical arguments irritate me, because it all depends how you slice the demographics. Being an MSM under 30, not having had unprotected sex in >3 years, and having had 3 HIV tests since then, I am significantly less likely to have HIV than many people who can give blood without question.
Come on guys, I'm full of O-ve goodness!

This is totally true! It must be incredibly frustrating and it's sad that you cannot give blood, especially as you're so willing :hugs: hey, I'm O- too! Blood group twinsies!
Original post by iEthan
It's my cat Onion :giggle: her sister's name is Sage :rofl:

It's sooooo easy to sign up for the organ donation register, see here for more information: https://www.organdonation.nhs.uk

You simply register, give consent and you're done! You even get a card in the post :yep: it's such an amazing thing to do imo :yep:

Awww cute names. :h: I want a cat but I'm not allowed. Once I move out gettinga cat is #1 on my list. :bigsmile:

Cool, I'll look into this! :ta:

Have you donated blood before? And have you registered for an organ donation?
Original post by undercxver
Awww cute names. :h: I want a cat but I'm not allowed. Once I move out gettinga cat is #1 on my list. :bigsmile:

Cool, I'll look into this! :ta:

Have you donated blood before? And have you registered for an organ donation?

You should definitely get one :giggle: they make my day :h:

I have and I am! :h:
I donated a few months ago because I was interested in getting my blood type. They said it would be a couple of weeks before I got my donor card in the post but its been 6 months since then and still nothing :/
I would like to, however apparently I don't weigh enough (I'm 45kg and apparently yo have to be 50kg?)
I should probably start giving out blood since my blood is 0 negative, meaning that everyone can take my blood.
I'm a regular blood donor with the NHS. My blood type is rare in this country so it's hard for them to get hold of donors like me and it takes less than an hour to make a donation. If you haven't donated and can donate I would strongly recommend. There is only a small needle that you barely feel :smile:
I finished an application form about two years ago but was extremely ill so I just never got around to sending it off.
Original post by z33
Yeahhh theyre scary af man :frown:

Yeah I'm doing that for sure :biggrin:
my organs will be on the market guys :wink:

Black market? Hmm....

:rofl:

Quick Reply

Latest