The Student Room Group

Do American trial lawyers seem unprofessional

Have you ever seen an american trial even a murder trial the barristers/advocates or whatever seem very unprofessional and useless at their jobs.
Have you been watching Making a Murderer by any chance?

I doubt what we see is a true representation of all american legal professionals :nah:.
Original post by Neostigmine
Have you been watching Making a Murderer by any chance?

I doubt what we see is a true representation of all american legal professionals :nah:.

no the bbc series on at the moment
Original post by karl pilkington
Have you ever seen an american trial even a murder trial the barristers/advocates or whatever seem very unprofessional and useless at their jobs.

It's a different legal system, and a different culture. I think barristers are more reserved generally, and we have a less flashy court system.

For example, instead of a trial lawyer jumping to his feet to shout "Objection!" and the judge banging his gavel, an English barrister will gracefully rise to his feet and say something like, "My lord, I must object most strenuously to this line of questioning from my learned friend".

I think there's more collegiality amongst the English bar. Also, most English barristers might aspire to become a High Court judge, to be modestly financially successful (Georgian terrace in town and a house in the country for weekends, nothing too extravagant) whereas an American lawyer would aspire to have their own TV show.

As I said, there's a completely different culture at work.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by MostUnciviIised
It's a different legal system, and a different culture. I think barristers are more reserved generally, and we have a less flashy court system.

For example, instead of a trial lawyer jumping to his feet to shout "Objection!" and the judge banging his gavel, an English barrister will gracefully rise to his feet and say something like, "My lord, I must object most strenuously to this line of questioning from my learned friend".

I think there's more collegiality amongst the English bar. Also, most English barristers might aspire to become a High Court judge, to be modestly financially successful (Georgian terrace in town and a house in the country for weekends, nothing too extravagant) whereas an American lawyer would aspire to have their own TV show.

As I said, there's a completely different culture at work.

Yeah I think you are right also our legal system is dominated by 'posh people' much more reserved and civilised. For example on that programme when the defendant got the death penalty the lawyer put his head on the table whereas that would never happen here.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending