The Student Room Group

Help! Did something stupid on medical placement

Hi everyone
This is my first thread so would really appreciate some advice

Im currently a 5th year medical student and on placement. I have passed my finals so really happy about that but whilst on placement recently i did something really stupid and unprofessional.

I was supposed to go in one day but didnt and lied to my supervisor saying i went in. Anyway, he found out i lied about coming in, he now will not sign me off (understandably) and has said he will inform the medical school about my dishonesty.

I know its so silly of me to have lied and of course unprofessional but beyond upset now about having done this and extremely anxious about whats going to happen. If they exclude me for this as my conduct comes into question i dont know what i will do.

Any advice/help is appreciated.

Thanks for reading. 😔

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
You aren't going to get excluded over this. Think about it this way: they have spent 5 years of education on you becoming a doctor, and all that money. No one wants to chuck you out at this point unless you've had a lot of priors or other issues

I've twice had the issue of my attendance been brought up and both times med school was more concerned that nothing bad was going on in my life rather than the attendance itself. They had a little chat with me and sent me on my way.

Lying is a little more serious than non attendance so I'm not sure what they'll do, but I would be surprised if there are any long-term or serious consequences

My advice would be to not make excuses (and certainly not lie any more!), and explain that it was a serious lapse in judgement, you are extremely sorry, and it won't happen again

Good luck, let us know how it goes
Reply 2
Original post by Ghotay
You aren't going to get excluded over this. Think about it this way: they have spent 5 years of education on you becoming a doctor, and all that money. No one wants to chuck you out at this point unless you've had a lot of priors or other issues

I've twice had the issue of my attendance been brought up and both times med school was more concerned that nothing bad was going on in my life rather than the attendance itself. They had a little chat with me and sent me on my way.

Lying is a little more serious than non attendance so I'm not sure what they'll do, but I would be surprised if there are any long-term or serious consequences

My advice would be to not make excuses (and certainly not lie any more!), and explain that it was a serious lapse in judgement, you are extremely sorry, and it won't happen again

Good luck, let us know how it goes

Hi ghotay

Thank you so much for your reply

I know it was so stupid for me to lie, and i certainly wont do it again! I just hope the med school see it as a lapse of judgement, I've had attendance issues once before but nothing around dishonesty or conduct, i feel really anxious at the moment, i haven't heard back from them yet but will update once i know

Thanks again
Reply 3
Original post by Anonymous
Hi everyone

Im currently a 5th year medical student and on placement. I have passed my finals so really happy about that but whilst on placement recently i did something really stupid and unprofessional.

I was supposed to go in one day but didnt and lied to my supervisor saying i went in. Anyway, he found out i lied about coming in, he now will not sign me off (understandably) and has said he will inform the medical school about my dishonesty.

I know its so silly of me to have lied and of course unprofessional but beyond upset now about having done this and extremely anxious about whats going to happen. If they exclude me for this as my conduct comes into question i dont know what i will do.

Thanks for reading. 😔

Everyone makes mistakes, IMO it's not a FTP issue as long as you come clean explain that it was just a complete error and won't happen again. I suspect you will get a good disapproving stare and stern word for the lying but that's to be expected with probity etc.

I like to think of it as could anyone have been harmed due to your error of judgement. If yes, then the consequences are more serious. But with you not showing up I seriously doubt anyone could've been harmed. Therefore for them it's just about making sure you aren't going to do it again/there was no problem you were/are having that caused you to do it.

Relax and congrats on finals.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by -Simon-
Everyone makes mistakes, IMO it's not a FTP issue as long as you come clean explain that it was just a complete error and won't happen again. You will get a good disapproving stare and stern word for the lying but that's to be expected with probity etc.

It's quite a bold statement to make that lying to a supervising consultant is not an FTP issue. He/she clearly thinks so as there would otherwise not be any point in contacting the medical school. It could easily be dealt with as an FTP issue, in which case I would have thought the most likely outcome was a warning as there has clearly been misconduct (i.e. dishonesty) but that's unlikely to be enough to impair the OP's fitness to practice.

If this supervisor does contact the medical school then I would suggest coming clean, cooperating fully with whatever process they consider to be appropriate, and showing appropriate remorse/retrospection. It might lead to nothing and a warning will also fade into the background over time. Just don't do anything to make the situation worse, e.g. any further dishonesty to cover your tracks!
I would also say that the medical school could take a pretty dim view on lying to a consultant about attendance.

I certainly certainly don't think you'd get kicked out for that, but there may be some sort of disciplinary consequences? Or perhaps they'll let you off. Obviously I have no way of knowing.

Saying sorry, showing remorse etc, is the right approach to take, in my view.
Reply 6
Hi everyone

Thanks for reading. 😔
Of course you are anxious about the consequences of this - but it's impossible for us to say what action your Medical School may take. If this really is an isolated incident, it's unlikely that they'll write off five years' worth of expensive training, thought the concern they're likely to have is not so much that you didn't turn up when you were expected, but that you lied about it.

I'd suggest that you get in touch with someone from the Students Union at your university for support and advice. You need to be totally honest with yourself and others about why you didn't turn up that day, and why you lied about not turning up. Have you had any further conversations with your Supervisor? Do you know for sure what action he proposes to take, and what has he told you about what will happen next?
Disappointing thread.

They'll look at you with a scowl, nothing more.
Reply 8
Original post by nexttime
Disappointing thread.

I doubt if they will take quite as relaxed a view as that.
Disappointing thread.

I gather some medical schools may take longer and more formal looking processes to arrive to similar conclusions compared to our med school.
The best thing you can do is sincerely apologise to the person you lied to so they understand you know what you did was wrong and might be more lenient and less mad, and then just get through the scolding. It's going to suck but I imagine it will probably just be a warning since you haven't done anything like this before.

The sooner it's over the sooner you will be able to move on and prove yourself again. Just hang in there! x
Original post by AnonymousPenguin
I gather some medical schools may take longer and more formal looking processes to arrive to similar conclusions compared to our med school.

Yes, but i am certain the conclusion will be the same. Or a "warning" or whatever admin speak for 'stern look' is over there.
Original post by -Simon-
Everyone makes mistakes, IMO it's not a FTP issue as long as you come clean explain that it was just a complete error and won't happen again. You will get a good disapproving stare and stern word for the lying but that's to be expected with probity etc.

I like to think of it as could anyone have been harmed due to your error of judgement. If yes, then the consequences are more serious. But with you not showing up I seriously doubt anyone could've been harmed. Therefore for them it's just about making sure you aren't going to do it again/there was no problem you were/are having that caused you to do it.

Relax and congrats on finals.

Hi simon

Thanks for the reassurance
I hope they go easy on me, just waiting to hear back about a meeting will update once i know
Original post by MonteCristo
It's quite a bold statement to make that lying to a supervising consultant is not an FTP issue. He/she clearly thinks so as there would otherwise not be any point in contacting the medical school. It could easily be dealt with as an FTP issue, in which case I would have thought the most likely outcome was a warning as there has clearly been misconduct (i.e. dishonesty) but that's unlikely to be enough to impair the OP's fitness to practice.

If this supervisor does contact the medical school then I would suggest coming clean, cooperating fully with whatever process they consider to be appropriate, and showing appropriate remorse/retrospection. It might lead to nothing and a warning will also fade into the background over time. Just don't do anything to make the situation worse, e.g. any further dishonesty to cover your tracks!

Hi
Thanks for your reply

I honestly dont know where they'll take this, it might go to health and conduct committee (most likely) who might then refer me to FTP, i've apologised to the supervisor just waiting to her back from the medical school now 😕

Thanks for the advice
Original post by Minerva
Of course you are anxious about the consequences of this - but it's impossible for us to say what action your Medical School may take. If this really is an isolated incident, it's unlikely that they'll write off five years' worth of expensive training, thought the concern they're likely to have is not so much that you didn't turn up when you were expected, but that you lied about it.

I'd suggest that you get in touch with someone from the Students Union at your university for support and advice. You need to be totally honest with yourself and others about why you didn't turn up that day, and why you lied about not turning up. Have you had any further conversations with your Supervisor? Do you know for sure what action he proposes to take, and what has he told you about what will happen next?

Hi minerva
Ive not had any incidents around conduct just attendance issues this year on one placement but im making time up for that in june before graduation, i took your advice and have an appointment to see a counsellor at student union this week for further support/guidance, i spoke to my supervisor twice now and apologised profusely about the lying, he said hopefully the medical school won't be too severe but also that he doesnt know how they will respond, but i know for definite he will inform them, i think he probably told them last week so just waiting to hear from med school now

Thanks for your input
Disappointing thread.

Hi
This is the best i can hope for!

Thanks for the reply
Original post by charlie-hh
The best thing you can do is sincerely apologise to the person you lied to so they understand you know what you did was wrong and might be more lenient and less mad, and then just get through the scolding. It's going to suck but I imagine it will probably just be a warning since you haven't done anything like this before.

The sooner it's over the sooner you will be able to move on and prove yourself again. Just hang in there! x

Hi charlie

Ive apologised to the supervisor on two occasions now so just waiting for the reply from medical school about the next steps, it does suck 😔 especially when i think about how close to graduation and elective i am i cant believe i did something so stupid as this now, hopefully it'll be over with soon,

Thanks for your reassurance
I would also say that the medical school could take a pretty dim view on lying to a consultant about attendance.

I certainly certainly don't think you'd get kicked out for that, but there may be some sort of disciplinary consequences? Or perhaps they'll let you off. Obviously I have no way of knowing.

Saying sorry, showing remorse etc, is the right approach to take, in my view.

Hi

Just waiting for a reply from med school then will start grovelling!

Thanks for your reply
Hi minerva
Ive not had any incidents around conduct just attendance issues this year on one placement but im making time up for that in june before graduation, i took your advice and have an appointment to see a counsellor at student union this week for further support/guidance, i spoke to my supervisor twice now and apologised profusely about the lying, he said hopefully the medical school won't be too severe but also that he doesnt know how they will respond, but i know for definite he will inform them, i think he probably told them last week so just waiting to hear from med school now

Thanks for your input
It sounds like your supervisor is not wholly unsympathetic to you, which is helpful. However, he can't speak for the medical school so he's right to be cagey about what line they might take, and I agree with you that this sounds like he has told them and is now waiting to hear what the next steps are. It's also worth adding that he probably had no choice but to inform them of this incident - placement supervisors are usually given pretty strict guidance about what they're required to do and these sorts of scenarios are discussed at their own training and development sessions.

I think it's important that you reflect on why your attendance was poor for that particular placement - once you are an employee (regardless of any FTP issue) you will be on a much tighter rein for this sort of thing and you don't want to put yourself at a major disadvantage in terms of your future training prospects.
Can we ask why you didn't go in?

If it was a personal reason or extenuating circumstances then I don't think they will be hard on you. If it was "I just can't be bothered" might have a bit more consequences, but I highly doubt they would write off 5 years of training for missing 1 day.

It's best to be honest with everyone from now on.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending