The Student Room Group

I am disgusted today

Scroll to see replies

This problem reminds me of polar coordinates problems. Here the only force is radial (tension in spring), and so the transverse component of the acceleration is zero, and the radial acceleration can be linked to the force by F = ma. Angular momentum conservation may also come in handy?
Original post by A Slice of Pi
This problem reminds me of polar coordinates problems. Here the only force is radial (tension in spring), and so the transverse component of the acceleration is zero, and the radial acceleration can be linked to the force by F = ma. Angular momentum conservation may also come in handy?

You're right. See my half-baked back-of-envelope solution.
Reply 62
Original post by atsruser
Set up a rectangular coord system with the spring aligned along the x-axis at t=0t=0. Let the particle have polar coords r,θr, \theta. Then the Lagrangian of the system is:

Unparseable latex formula:

L=T-V = \frac{1}{2}m(\dot{r}^2 + r^2\dot{\theta}^2)-\frac{1}{2}\lamda(r-l)^2

with associated Euler-Lagrange equations ddt(Lq˙)Lq=0\frac{d}{dt}(\frac{\partial L}{\partial \dot{q}}) - \frac{\partial L}{\partial q} = 0 for each q{r,θ}q \in \{ r,\theta \} giving:

ddt(mr˙)mrθ˙2+λ(rl)=0mr¨=mrθ˙2+λ(lr)\frac{d}{dt}(m \dot{r}) -mr \dot{\theta}^2 + \lambda(r-l)=0 \Rightarrow m\ddot{r}= mr \dot{\theta}^2 +\lambda(l-r)
ddt(mr2θ˙)=0mr2θ˙=C\frac{d}{dt}(m r^2 \dot{\theta}) = 0 \Rightarrow m r^2 \dot{\theta} = C

where the second eqn expresses conservation of AM.

So we have:

mr¨=C+λ(lr)=Kλrm\ddot{r}=C+\lambda(l-r) = K -\lambda r with K=C+λlK=C+\lambda l

Now write ρ=λrKλ\rho =\frac{\lambda r-K}{\lambda} to give mρ¨=λρm \ddot{\rho} = -\lambda \rho

which is SHM in ρ\rho. I got bored at this point, so I'll let someone else finish it off/correct my errors.

I did mentioned earlier that it can be done with Lagrangian/Hamiltonian mechanics but it can be done with A level methods.
I am waiting for the "comoving_frame" to show his method ... as he made a rapid exit ...
(by the way I need no help ... I have already written a full solution as this is a question to go into my example books)
Reply 63

correct route
Original post by TeeEm
correct route

Is this the route you tried?
stop trying to cheat. if you can't do the work, you shouldn't be taking the exam!
Original post by john2054
stop trying to cheat. if you can't do the work, you shouldn't be taking the exam!

What exam?
Original post by TeeEm
I did mentioned earlier that it can be done with Lagrangian/Hamiltonian mechanics but it can be done with A level methods.
I am waiting for the "comoving_frame" to show his method ... as he made a rapid exit ...
(by the way I need no help ... I have already written a full solution as this is a question to go into my example books)

I decided that it was time to introduce the youngsters to a bit of real mechanics.
Reply 68
Is this the route you tried?

I tried ....?!

I made.
I solved in retrospect that is why I put some numbers after as my solution was all in variables
Original post by Mathemagicien
Joined today, knows about TeeEm's booklets, very rude to TeeEm... clearly duplicate account of some troll

If it's a dupe of a troll then it needs reporting.
Reply 70
Original post by spotify95
If it's a dupe of a troll then it needs reporting.

It somebody with "some mathematical knowledge" which know the maths room well and my personal activity.
He has done nothing to be reported but I think I know who he is (usernamewise)
Reply 71
Is there a way of doing this with polar coordinates? I might try, and inevitably fail, tonight

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 72
Original post by Krollo
Is there a way of doing this with polar coordinates? I might try, and inevitably fail, tonight

Posted from TSR Mobile

That is the way ...
I will post full solution before I retire tonight.
Original post by Xenon17
What exam?

or the coursework.

the fact is that this kid is clearly out of his depth, and essentially with no insight in to the subject matter, is asking us to answer the question for him.

this is cheating
or the coursework.

the fact is that this kid is clearly out of his depth, and essentially with no insight in to the subject matter, is asking us to answer the question for him.

this is cheating

you think Teeems cheating?
Reply 75

Am I missing something on why we can completely omit weight?
I just don't like it when people come on here and say 'please tell me the answer to this question'. It is true this individual may well be genuine given the insight he has subsequently showed in to the subject matter. But i don't think that it hurts to question their credentials, when they come on here (tsr) doing this. he wouldn't be the first!!
I just don't like it when people come on here and say 'please tell me the answer to this question'. It is true this individual may well be genuine given the insight he has subsequently showed in to the subject matter. But i don't think that it hurts to question their credentials, when they come on here (tsr) doing this. he wouldn't be the first!!

shhh
Reply 78
or the coursework.

this is cheating

I am sorry I had to cheat ...
f8.jpg
Reply 79

H8.png

Quick Reply

Latest