The Student Room Group
Studying in halls, University of Cambridge
University of Cambridge
Cambridge

Cambridge 2016 Postgraduate Entry

Scroll to see replies

I received a conditional offer for a biological science PhD at the Babraham Institute yesterday (yay), but this was only updated on CAMSIS. No email yet...how long does this email normally take to come in? Also waiting on Gates....daunting times!!
Studying in halls, University of Cambridge
University of Cambridge
Cambridge
How strict are they in case of IELTS exam? I got 6.5 in one part instead of 7 (engineering department).
Original post by Lena17
How strict are they in case of IELTS exam? I got 6.5 in one part instead of 7 (engineering department).

I was told that the BoGS would make no exceptions on either the total mark or the individual papers. You can re-sit the IELTS as many times as you like.
Can I ask - if I am still on "under consideration by degree committee" and there are others from my programme (it's a Master's) being switched to BoGS, does it mean I have been rejected and they will send out all rejections at once? Or does it mean they are still going through applications and I have a chance?

I guess my question in short is - If I was rejected, would I know immediately, or later on?
My status has just changed to "awaiting decision by BoGS" for MPhil in Philosophy - is there any chance of being rejected at this stage or can I get out the jelly and ice cream?
Reply 2065
Original post by Lena17

Original post by Aceadria
I was told that the BoGS would make no exceptions on either the total mark or the individual papers. You can re-sit the IELTS as many times as you like.

Look here under "LC Assessment" http://www.langcen.cam.ac.uk/lc/adtis/graduate-applicants.html

When I first applied I had only 6.5 in writing and speaking but it was no problem after having this assessment. If you're made an offer, the language condition should outline the procedure.
Original post by tj23
Look here under "LC Assessment" http://www.langcen.cam.ac.uk/lc/adtis/graduate-applicants.html

When I first applied I had only 6.5 in writing and speaking but it was no problem after having this assessment. If you're made an offer, the language condition should outline the procedure.

Didn't know about this, thank you. I still think re-taking the IELTS and aiming for a higher grade might make more sense. The exam is mostly about strategy and to know what to write.
Original post by tj23

Thank you!
Reply 2068
Original post by Aceadria
Didn't know about this, thank you. I still think re-taking the IELTS and aiming for a higher grade might make more sense. The exam is mostly about strategy and to know what to write.

For me it was quite close to the deadline of meeting the conditions so I thought I at least try the LC assessment. Even if you meet the language condition I would highly recommend the In-Sessional course. It was extremely helpful for improving my academic English, e.g. having a supervisor from your field who reads your work to comment on and improve your style is something my course mates who are native English speakers also would have liked to have
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Blair1234
My status has just changed to "awaiting decision by BoGS" for MPhil in Philosophy - is there any chance of being rejected at this stage or can I get out the jelly and ice cream?

If it says "degree committee satisfied with application." then yes, go get the jelly and ice cream!
Original post by ejminihane
If it says "degree committee satisfied with application." then yes, go get the jelly and ice cream!

It does indeed, thanks!
Reply 2071
I received a conditional offer for a biological science PhD at the Babraham Institute yesterday (yay), but this was only updated on CAMSIS. No email yet...how long does this email normally take to come in? Also waiting on Gates....daunting times!!

Congratulations:smile:

I believe it varies. For me, it took about a couple of days [seemed like years, though :tongue: ]. It will land up in your inbox before you know it.
Thank you! It just arrived as I went to reply to your message!
Congratulations on your offer - what are you going to study? :smile:
Hi guys, do we need to accept the offer before the college offers you a membership?
Reply 2074
Thank you! It just arrived as I went to reply to your message!
Congratulations on your offer - what are you going to study? :smile:

Ah, so cool. Congrats, once again.

Thanks; PhD in Engineering.
Reply 2075
Original post by Applicant1617
Hi guys, do we need to accept the offer before the college offers you a membership?

Might be a coincidence but my acceptance of the offer [once I got the e-mail] was swiftly followed by the college membership [within a day]

Wouldn't hurt to accept the offer anyway, right :smile:
Reply 2076
Original post by Applicant1617

In my case, the college offered me a place without accepting the offer.
Anyone know much about Robinson? Just been allocated there

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by emmaross
Anyone know much about Robinson? Just been allocated there

Posted from TSR Mobile

It's in a great location for both the UL/Sidgwick site, plus the Maths faculty & anything that is located at the West Cambridge site. It's a modern redbrick college, but inside there are beautiful gardens which are probably some of the nicest in Cambridge.
They can also house most of their grad students I believe.
Original post by tj23
Even if you meet the language condition I would highly recommend the In-Sessional course. It was extremely helpful for improving my academic English, e.g. having a supervisor from your field who reads your work to comment on and improve your style is something my course mates who are native English speakers also would have liked to have

Thanks! Do we have to tell them in advance that we're interested in doing the course?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending