The Student Room Group

Friend facing a conduct panel, is he screwed?

Hi guys

My friend failed first year and he's now redoing first year, he submitted one of his essays that he wrote last year and in addition to it failing first year he is now in trouble for submitting a plagiarised essay (his own) and it failed too

He's now facing a review panel of like 7 senior members of staff, should he start packing his bags?
I don't think it's plagiarism to resubmit work unless they told him not to. Seems silly to resubmit an essay that failed, unless it passed the first time?

These panels can go either way. Just make sure he is prepared and perhaps speak to the SU for advice and someone to go with him to the meeting.
my boyfriend resubmitted his dissertation when he retook third year (due to his lecturer not telling him the deadline and submitting late) so I don't see why your friends being pulled up on submitting his own essay again UNLESS that essay contains plagiarised work from someone else in the first place? I agree with Neostigmine though, why on earth would he resubmit something that didn't pass the first time?
Whatever about the question of it failing previously or not, I imagine most universities would frown upon people submitting the exact same essays if they're redoing the year, or at least be wary of it, and it seems like quite a dumb thing to do really. There is such a thing as self-plagiarism, where you are passing off older work of your own as a new piece of work. Ideally, I imagine the university would prefer if you re-thought the assignment, maybe did some different/additional reading for it, and write a fresh piece.
Asking the SU for advice would be a good place to start, and also looking through course handbooks for the guidelines on plagiarism, in order to arm himself with the relevant knowledge.
Reply 4
My friend got like 5% on this essay last year and he resubmitted it anyway

Kind of a double whammy because he's in trouble for failing and not caring despite second year as well as self plagiarism

I'll let him know and I'll let you guys know of the outcome
Honestly I can't see this ending very well for your friend, based on what you've posted. Do let us know how it goes though.
How is it plagiarism if it's his work?
Does it matter if they kick him off? He resubmitted an essay which scored 5%, he clearly doesn't give a toss about hsi degree and will only fail again anyway
Original post by Jooooshy
How is it plagiarism if it's his work?

Because the point of assignments is to test your current knowledge, hence submitting your knowledge when it was in a previous state is plagiarism as it's not a representation of what you know when you submit it.

Also it means they're being lazy which isn't exactly something you want in a resit student so it's an excuse to kick them out.
Original post by Toshiber

o.O Well that was stupid. Have you considered the uni might be right?
Reply 10

Kind of a double whammy because he's in trouble for failing and not caring despite second year as well as self plagiarism

It sounds horribly like he's wasting his time and racking up tens of thousands of pounds in student debt for no reason. The disciplinary might be a blessing in disguise - sounds like he needs to call a halt to uni and get on with his life.
Jeez how do you even get 5% on an essay :s-smilie:
Would probably pack my bags, just in case.
Might be doing him a favor, if he is having so many problems with coping at university.
Though may be underlying issues causing it, which should look into. If just 'how he is', then probably best to reconsider the uni route.
It isn't all its made out to be anyway.

He would or at least should have been made away of self plagiarism. However to resubmit an essay worth 5% is one of the most idiotic things I've ever heard. He really is not cut out for university.
Original post by Helloworld_95
Because the point of assignments is to test your current knowledge, hence submitting your knowledge when it was in a previous state is plagiarism as it's not a representation of what you know when you submit it.

Also it means they're being lazy which isn't exactly something you want in a resit student so it's an excuse to kick them out.

That is still not plagiarism.
Reply 15
Update for anyone interested, he got let off with a warning surprisingly, just had to resubmit the essay capped at the end of the year
Problem is in situations like this the student generally just loafs about without taking university seriously and every term gets in to some kind of hearing like this arguing their case to be let in. If they manage to stay through the full 3 years they will either fail or get a 3rd, and what have they racked up their debt for? University isn't for everyone and sometimes there are clear signals you need to reassess your life.
Original post by Jooooshy
That is still not plagiarism.

Self plagiarism is reusing identical/nearly identical work that you produced in the past without making any reference to the fact that you are reusing it. He might have written it to start with, but he didn't write it for resit purposes and didn't reference the original submission in the resit submission. Self plagiarism is a very real thing.
Original post by GoingToBurst
Self plagiarism is reusing identical/nearly identical work that you produced in the past without making any reference to the fact that you are reusing it. He might have written it to start with, but he didn't write it for resit purposes and didn't reference the original submission in the resit submission. Self plagiarism is a very real thing.

Yeah, since posting that I have come to this realisation :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending