The Student Room Group

IGCSE CIE English Help?

I have been entered for the reading exam and writing exam. I have no clue what to do so any help at all would be great!

Thank you.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 8 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Here.

Spoiler

Reply 2
Do you have to answer three Questions? I can help you if you are doing that section.
Reply 3
Original post by Impressive
Here.

Spoiler

Thank you!!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4
Reply 5
Original post by ibte10
Do you have to answer three Questions? I can help you if you are doing that section.

yeah if you could help with answering 3 questions. that would be great!

Posted from TSR Mobile
The first question is basically changing the type of text into something else: for example, you read a text and it may ask you to rewrite as one of the characters in the form of a conversation / blog post / report. This question is worth 20 marks and we were advised by our teacher (who is a CIE examiner) to spend 45 minutes on this. You must include things from the text in your answer to show you've understood it; making sure to include explicit information (information from the text that is clearly said) and implicit information (information that you must look deeper to notice as it is only implied), While writing your answer (which must be 1 1/2 - 2 pages) remember T.A.P. This stands for T = type: what kind of text do you have to write and how will you go about writing this? A = audience: who is the audience and how will your language/vocabulary differentiate in your answer because of this? P = purpose: what is the purpose of the thing you're writing? Are you trying to argue, persuade? If so, make sure you speak appropriately. In planning, we were told to make a word bank full of words you may want to include when considering T.A.P and the person you're writing in role as (e.g the language of a child will differ from an adult)

Question 2 is the 'easiest' of the three, but is the one most people (including myself) struggle with in terms of time-keeping! It is a language analysis question, in which you must re-read the first text and highlight four keywords and phrases in the two paragraphs you're told to look at (the question will clearly indicate which paragraphs you must look at). In the mark scheme, having a different range of words chosen to analyse will get you more marks, as you are scrutinized for your word choice. By this, we are encouraged to choose one singular word, one powerful word (simile, metaphor), one quirky phrase and any other phrase which is relevant to the question. You must spend 30 minutes on this question and it is worth 10 marks, but considering the exam in itself is worth 50 marks it is a big chunk. Start your answer (which must be 1 page) with the overall mood proposed in the paragraph, to show you understand what the writer is doing. After this, you must include the four phrases for the first paragraph; analyse them, explain them, give synonyms for them (SOOO important as this shows the examiner you understand the language and you won't get marks if you don't do this basically), and explain why the author included them.

Question 3 is split into two parts, A + B, and is overall worth 20 marks, so again we were advised to spend 45 minutes on this. The first part you must read the SECOND text given (it will indicate this in the question) and highlight 15 things relevant to the question. Our teacher says we should highlight as many as possible and then choose our best 15. Basically for this, you list 15 things in answer to the question and bullet point them. It seems simple, but if it's not on the mark scheme you simply don't get the mark. Be cautious that your point is a legit point and doesn't need to be split into two, for example you may put: the owls are awake all night, but sleep during the day, as one point when you would get the marks for it being two! The 15 points you write down must also be chronological. Part B is worth 5 marks, but is still a considerable 10% of your overall score so don't disregard it. Part B is basically a summary task, you must write all 15 parts, chronologically into a summary. You are scrutinized for the length of your summary, with a recommended 250 words. Our teacher advised us to try and include 2 of the 15 points per sentence, to make sure it is concise as this is included in the mark scheme. There is no need for an introductory/concluding sentence and you can actually be marked down for including this so please don't!

I think I covered pretty much everything! Hope this helped :smile:
Reply 7
Original post by caitlinford3
The first question is basically changing the type of text into something else: for example, you read a text and it may ask you to rewrite as one of the characters in the form of a conversation / blog post / report. This question is worth 20 marks and we were advised by our teacher (who is a CIE examiner) to spend 45 minutes on this. You must include things from the text in your answer to show you've understood it; making sure to include explicit information (information from the text that is clearly said) and implicit information (information that you must look deeper to notice as it is only implied), While writing your answer (which must be 1 1/2 - 2 pages) remember T.A.P. This stands for T = type: what kind of text do you have to write and how will you go about writing this? A = audience: who is the audience and how will your language/vocabulary differentiate in your answer because of this? P = purpose: what is the purpose of the thing you're writing? Are you trying to argue, persuade? If so, make sure you speak appropriately. In planning, we were told to make a word bank full of words you may want to include when considering T.A.P and the person you're writing in role as (e.g the language of a child will differ from an adult)

Question 2 is the 'easiest' of the three, but is the one most people (including myself) struggle with in terms of time-keeping! It is a language analysis question, in which you must re-read the first text and highlight four keywords and phrases in the two paragraphs you're told to look at (the question will clearly indicate which paragraphs you must look at). In the mark scheme, having a different range of words chosen to analyse will get you more marks, as you are scrutinized for your word choice. By this, we are encouraged to choose one singular word, one powerful word (simile, metaphor), one quirky phrase and any other phrase which is relevant to the question. You must spend 30 minutes on this question and it is worth 10 marks, but considering the exam in itself is worth 50 marks it is a big chunk. Start your answer (which must be 1 page) with the overall mood proposed in the paragraph, to show you understand what the writer is doing. After this, you must include the four phrases for the first paragraph; analyse them, explain them, give synonyms for them (SOOO important as this shows the examiner you understand the language and you won't get marks if you don't do this basically), and explain why the author included them.

Question 3 is split into two parts, A + B, and is overall worth 20 marks, so again we were advised to spend 45 minutes on this. The first part you must read the SECOND text given (it will indicate this in the question) and highlight 15 things relevant to the question. Our teacher says we should highlight as many as possible and then choose our best 15. Basically for this, you list 15 things in answer to the question and bullet point them. It seems simple, but if it's not on the mark scheme you simply don't get the mark. Be cautious that your point is a legit point and doesn't need to be split into two, for example you may put: the owls are awake all night, but sleep during the day, as one point when you would get the marks for it being two! The 15 points you write down must also be chronological. Part B is worth 5 marks, but is still a considerable 10% of your overall score so don't disregard it. Part B is basically a summary task, you must write all 15 parts, chronologically into a summary. You are scrutinized for the length of your summary, with a recommended 250 words. Our teacher advised us to try and include 2 of the 15 points per sentence, to make sure it is concise as this is included in the mark scheme. There is no need for an introductory/concluding sentence and you can actually be marked down for including this so please don't!

I think I covered pretty much everything! Hope this helped :smile:

THANK YOU SO MUCH!! this actually helps!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by 822
THANK YOU SO MUCH!! this actually helps!

Posted from TSR Mobile

No problem! If you need anything else or have any other questions be sure to message me :smile:
Reply 9
No problem! If you need anything else or have any other questions be sure to message me :smile:

there was on other thing i was wondering about. i sat the igcse last year but with a different exam board and in the coursework i got a C and i was wondering is it possible to use the marks of that for this year?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 10
Reply 11
Original post by 822
yeah if you could help with answering 3 questions. that would be great!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Well the person below me has answered your question in detail. If you require any other help or have further questions feel free to ask.
@caitlinford3

I'm at sixth form but your post was very detailed. I gave you rep in recognition of your contribution. can you share with us why you chose to do your exams with CIE, what subjects you did, the grades you got and what you plan to do at uni?
Original post by Audrey18
@caitlinford3

I'm at sixth form but your post was very detailed. I gave you rep in recognition of your contribution. can you share with us why you chose to do your exams with CIE, what subjects you did, the grades you got and what you plan to do at uni?

Why thanks :smile: I have only done English Lit CIE, sitting the language CIE this year :smile:

Our school chose for us to sit CIE, I guess because it stands out on a CV for university, but in my English Literature which I did a year early in year 10, I got an A* :smile: I am predicted an A* in the language CIE too.

In university I plan to do primarily a doctorate and then clinical psychology post-grad, in hopes of becoming a clinical psychologist, but my second option/an option I'm considering is either French and English Lit or Psychology and French, so I haven't decided fully yet but my first answer is the most likely and something I've planned since I was 13 :smile:

But yeah I'm only doing CIE lit and lang haha
If you sat iGCSE English, with a different exam board, and you got your grade on results day etc, thats that qualification over and done with and they wouldn't let you transfer your coursework grade over. However, if you didn't actually sit the exam and didn't get your grade on results day, they may allow it, but since it was on different exam boards I highly doubt it. The CIE English language coursework is fairly different from other exam boards. I wouldn't stress too much, it's not hard and is only like 3 pages long depending on how much you do, just bite the bullet and redo the coursework, there's plenty of time left!

Original post by 822
there was on other thing i was wondering about. i sat the igcse last year but with a different exam board and in the coursework i got a C and i was wondering is it possible to use the marks of that for this year?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 15
If you sat iGCSE English, with a different exam board, and you got your grade on results day etc, thats that qualification over and done with and they wouldn't let you transfer your coursework grade over. However, if you didn't actually sit the exam and didn't get your grade on results day, they may allow it, but since it was on different exam boards I highly doubt it. The CIE English language coursework is fairly different from other exam boards. I wouldn't stress too much, it's not hard and is only like 3 pages long depending on how much you do, just bite the bullet and redo the coursework, there's plenty of time left!

yeah thanks for all your help! and im not doing coursework this year im sat as an external candidate for 2 exams; the extended reading paper and the writing one. but thanks for everything ... if only you could have sat me exam for me haha lol

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 16

hi i know I've only got like a month left to revise and i need some help with the exam papers.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by 822
hi i know I've only got like a month left to revise and i need some help with the exam papers.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'm also doing the exam so I'm up for revising with ya :smile:
Reply 18
I'm also doing the exam so I'm up for revising with ya :smile:

yeah that'd be great! what exam board and tier? i haven't started revising at all.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by 822
yeah that'd be great! what exam board and tier? i haven't started revising at all.

Posted from TSR Mobile

CIE & higher. My speaking and listening was today for it! :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest