The Student Room Group

Current Nursing Students: What did you get in your GCSEs and A Levels?

I'm thinking about doing a health related course once I leave sixth form (I'm still in Year 11 at the moment).

I'm really not sure whether to aim higher for Medicine, or just focus on Nursing. If you're currently doing Nursing, what did you get at GCSE and at A Level? Also, would I be literally the only male on a Nursing course lol?
Reply 1
Original post by romansholiday
I'm thinking about doing a health related course once I leave sixth form (I'm still in Year 11 at the moment).

I'm really not sure whether to aim higher for Medicine, or just focus on Nursing. If you're currently doing Nursing, what did you get at GCSE and at A Level? Also, would I be literally the only male on a Nursing course lol?

There is a BIG difference between the role of a nurse and a doctor. So my advice would be to research both roles and aim for whichever sounds more fitted to your personal preference. There are two men on my child nursing course out of 20 in total. Regarding grades, I got all my GCSEs grades A-C (mostly B's), A Levels were awful (not even worth mentioning) and a BSc in genetics (1st class hons). Good luck with GCSEs and A Levels :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Gizmo.
There is a BIG difference between the role of a nurse and a doctor. So my advice would be to research both roles and aim for whichever sounds more fitted to your personal preference. There are two men on my child nursing course out of 20 in total. Regarding grades, I got all my GCSEs grades A-C (mostly B's), A Levels were awful (not even worth mentioning) and a BSc in genetics (1st class hons). Good luck with GCSEs and A Levels :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thanks for the response! I'm predicted 8 A*s/As and 3 Bs, so this would be alright for Nursing, right? And I always thought you had to get BBB to do Nursing.
Anyway, why did you not go for medicine, what was the attraction to Nursing for you?
Thanks for the response! I'm predicted 8 A*s/As and 3 Bs, so this would be alright for Nursing, right? And I always thought you had to get BBB to do Nursing.
Anyway, why did you not go for medicine, what was the attraction to Nursing for you?

You need to move away from the notion that failed medicine applicants go into nursing.
Nursing and medicine are very different. Nursing you spend a lot more time with your patients and get to know them and monitor them. Often it is the nurse that notices changes in the person to alert a doctor if needed.
Nursing you do a lot more personal care and observations and working with the person. Dare I say it but medicine is a lot more removed from the person. It involves diagnostics and treatment and of course a lot of paperwork but doctors don't spend as much time with people as nurses would tend to do.
Both lead to very different career paths too.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by deviant182
You need to move away from the notion that failed medicine applicants go into nursing.
Nursing and medicine are very different. Nursing you spend a lot more time with your patients and get to know them and monitor them. Often it is the nurse that notices changes in the person to alert a doctor if needed.
Nursing you do a lot more personal care and observations and working with the person. Dare I say it but medicine is a lot more removed from the person. It involves diagnostics and treatment and of course a lot of paperwork but doctors don't spend as much time with people as nurses would tend to do.
Both lead to very different career paths too.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I know fully well that Nursing and Medicine are completely different routes. I don't know what I said to suggest that I "need to move away from the notion that failed medicine applicants go into nursing"...

And you didn't answer my question about GCSEs either :smile:
I know fully well that Nursing and Medicine are completely different routes. I don't know what I said to suggest that I "need to move away from the notion that failed medicine applicants go into nursing"...

And you didn't answer my question about GCSEs either :smile:

Because asking someone why nursing and why not medicine implies such? You wouldnt ask someone, why engineering why not nursing? Or why physics why not nursing? So why even ask the above poster that?
And I did my gcses 11 years ago but I still had 10 gcses a-c.
Original post by deviant182
Because asking someone why nursing and why not medicine implies such? You wouldnt ask someone, why engineering why not nursing? Or why physics why not nursing? So why even ask the above poster that?
And I did my gcses 11 years ago but I still had 10 gcses a-c.

I originally asked "why did you not go for medicine, what was the attraction to Nursing for you?" and I don't see how this suggests medicine and nursing are the same thing, if anything it shows that they are very different.

I was expecting a response like "I prefer more patient contact" or "I'd prefer to care for a patient and not diagnose them" or something along those lines...
Reply 7

From my experience nursing is more about the care of a patient rather than the diagnosis and treatment and this is what appealed to me. I want to help comfort and support patients in their time of need. I am studying paediatric nursing and love the idea of getting to know the patient and building a relationship during treatment, something I feel I would have less of as a doctor. Hope that helps :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending