The Student Room Group

Too Late to Change My Mind?

So... I literally made an account here because I honestly don't know where else to turn.

I applied to UCAS in September, got four out of five of my offers, and recently confirmed my firm choice. Providing I don't fail everything, I'll be going to study English Literature in September.

However... choosing English was sort of a spur of the moment decision. Don't get me wrong, I adore it, but there was another thing I wanted to study too. This mightn't have been such a huge deal, if my interests weren't so radically different.

The other interest is Geology. Specifically, palaeontology.

Recently, I've come to realise that, actually, I would massively prefer studying either palaeontology or something that could lead into it, rather than literature. But since I've already confirmed my choice and everything, I think my only option would be to take a gap year and reapply when UCAS opens again? Which, as someone with a lot of anxiety about dumb things, terrifies me.

So- yeah. I just want to know if it's too late to change my mind yet.
Original post by elvamire
So... I literally made an account here because I honestly don't know where else to turn.

I applied to UCAS in September, got four out of five of my offers, and recently confirmed my firm choice. Providing I don't fail everything, I'll be going to study English Literature in September.

However... choosing English was sort of a spur of the moment decision. Don't get me wrong, I adore it, but there was another thing I wanted to study too. This mightn't have been such a huge deal, if my interests weren't so radically different.

Recently, I've come to realise that, actually, I would massively prefer studying either palaeontology or something that could lead into it, rather than literature. But since I've already confirmed my choice and everything, I think my only option would be to take a gap year and reapply when UCAS opens again? Which, as someone with a lot of anxiety about dumb things, terrifies me.

Not too late you can use UCAS extra.
Reply 2
Original post by claireestelle
Not too late you can use UCAS extra.

Can I still do that even after having already confirmed my firm and insurance choices?
noo you can go through clearing and hope there is some geology courses
Reply 4
Original post by BigStormzy
noo you can go through clearing and hope there is some geology courses

I'm sorry, I'm totally clueless about this- how does clearing work?
You could call the uni you firmed and ask if you could transfer to the geology course ( although I'd recommend calling their geology apartment first to se whether they would consider/accept you with your credentials)

Posted from TSR Mobile
Can I still do that even after having already confirmed my firm and insurance choices?

Hi elvamire

There's nothing to worry about - many students find themselves in your position. UCAS Extra seems to be your best option at this point, although it will mean that you'll have to decline the offers that you've received. You'll get the opportunity to apply through UCAS for another course. If you want some more information on the process, have a look at the UCAS website.

If you're interested in Geology, Anglia Ruskin has a few related course options. You can visit our website to find out more, or speak to our friendly admissions team on 01245 686868.

All the best!

Natalie :smile:
Original post by Anglia Ruskin University
Hi elvamire

There's nothing to worry about - many students find themselves in your position. UCAS Extra seems to be your best option at this point, although it will mean that you'll have to decline the offers that you've received. You'll get the opportunity to apply through UCAS for another course. If you want some more information on the process, have a look at the UCAS website.

If you're interested in Geology, Anglia Ruskin has a few related course options. You can visit our website to find out more, or speak to our friendly admissions team on 01245 686868.

All the best!

Natalie :smile:

Terrible advice. Try contacting your firm uni first before doing something drastic and rejecting all your options.

Posted from TSR Mobile

It isn't too late to change your mind but your options depend on the time since you chose firm/insurance and where you'd like to study.

Did you make your decisions less that 14 days ago? If so you have the option to call UCAS and ask to chance your decisions to decline all your offers and enter Extra. This will give you the most flexibility.

If any of your initial 5 choices offer Geology AND you have the subjects/predicted grades to get an offer AND you like the look of their courses then get in touch with them and ask if they'd be able to reconsider you for their geology courses. You aren't committing to anything at this point - just scoping out your options.

If one of your original 5 offers a course you like and seems up for taking you then get in touch with your firm and insurance and this possible 3rd university and UCAS and explain to all of them what you would like to happen eg "I would like university xxx to be my firm choice for course yyyy" and ask them to all agree. For this sort of switch each university concerned has to contact UCAS individually to say they are happy for the change but once all universities do then it should appear on Track (although it might appear on Track in 2 stages - firstly you get a new Firm still for English and then that firm university makes you a changed course offer on Track which you accept).

If you don't have any joy or simply don't fancy any of your original 5 choices geology courses then you need to arrange to get into Extra. This involved the same faffing around but only for your firm and insurance universities (plus UCAS) this time.

Once you're in Extra you add a single choice in - your application gets sent to that choice, they either make you an offer or reject you and then you either accept the offer (new Conditional Firm choice) or decline it and add a new choice in Extra. Because it's one at a time you need to do your research in advance and apply to a course in Extra that is
a) definitely open to Extra applications (course search on UCAS gives a rough guide but you need to double check)
b) somewhere you're likely to get an offer (the last thing you want now is to wait weeks for a rejection)
c) somewhere you'd be chuffed to bits to get an offer from

With all of this I'm afraid you're going to spend a fair bit of time on the phone. So keep a record of phone calls.
Note down the following for every phone call you make about this:
a) the number you called
b) the date and time
c) the full name and job title of the person you speak to (don't be afraid to ask this - it's 100% normal)
d) what you asked
e) what they said
f) if they sent written confirmation of the conversation by email

It's very common at both UCAS and universities for the people answering the phones initially to not understand the full ins and outs of what you want to do. By keeping track of who you talk to and what you say you make it more likely that you'll get a good, accurate answer to your questions and that what gets promised will get done.
Original post by mizzsnazzter
Terrible advice. Try contacting your firm uni first before doing something drastic and rejecting all your options.

Posted from TSR Mobile

OP cannot reject all their options without phoning their firm university.
Original post by PQ
OP cannot reject all their options without phoning their firm university.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by PQ
It isn't too late to change your mind but your options depend on the time since you chose firm/insurance and where you'd like to study.

Did you make your decisions less that 14 days ago? If so you have the option to call UCAS and ask to chance your decisions to decline all your offers and enter Extra. This will give you the most flexibility.

If any of your initial 5 choices offer Geology AND you have the subjects/predicted grades to get an offer AND you like the look of their courses then get in touch with them and ask if they'd be able to reconsider you for their geology courses. You aren't committing to anything at this point - just scoping out your options.

If one of your original 5 offers a course you like and seems up for taking you then get in touch with your firm and insurance and this possible 3rd university and UCAS and explain to all of them what you would like to happen eg "I would like university xxx to be my firm choice for course yyyy" and ask them to all agree. For this sort of switch each university concerned has to contact UCAS individually to say they are happy for the change but once all universities do then it should appear on Track (although it might appear on Track in 2 stages - firstly you get a new Firm still for English and then that firm university makes you a changed course offer on Track which you accept).

If you don't have any joy or simply don't fancy any of your original 5 choices geology courses then you need to arrange to get into Extra. This involved the same faffing around but only for your firm and insurance universities (plus UCAS) this time.

Once you're in Extra you add a single choice in - your application gets sent to that choice, they either make you an offer or reject you and then you either accept the offer (new Conditional Firm choice) or decline it and add a new choice in Extra. Because it's one at a time you need to do your research in advance and apply to a course in Extra that is
a) definitely open to Extra applications (course search on UCAS gives a rough guide but you need to double check)
b) somewhere you're likely to get an offer (the last thing you want now is to wait weeks for a rejection)
c) somewhere you'd be chuffed to bits to get an offer from

With all of this I'm afraid you're going to spend a fair bit of time on the phone. So keep a record of phone calls.
Note down the following for every phone call you make about this:
a) the number you called
b) the date and time
c) the full name and job title of the person you speak to (don't be afraid to ask this - it's 100% normal)
d) what you asked
e) what they said
f) if they sent written confirmation of the conversation by email

It's very common at both UCAS and universities for the people answering the phones initially to not understand the full ins and outs of what you want to do. By keeping track of who you talk to and what you say you make it more likely that you'll get a good, accurate answer to your questions and that what gets promised will get done.

This is good advice

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by mizzsnazzter
You can - you just click withdraw

Posted from TSR Mobile

Once you've picked firm/insurance then the only withdraw option on Track is a full withdrawal from the UCAS scheme.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending