The Student Room Group
Mappin Building
University of Sheffield
Sheffield

Council tax bill - can I still claim exemption?

I am a full - time PhD student at the university (eligible for exemption from the council tax). I have recently received a bill for the council tax; I knew that I am exempt but I never thought that I have to contact the council without their prior notification.

The bill is due on 6th March. Can I still send them my Student Certificate until that time to confirm my exemption so that I won't have to pay the bill?

Thanks in advance!
Best thing to do is get the university to write you a letter stating that you are a full time student - the letter will need to be on university headed paper and say what course you are doing- the start date and the end date - this confirms that you are still enrolled - as the council don't trust anybody -the council should then mark your account as exempt - The council keep writing to me asking for proof that both of my children are still in full higher education so I can keep my 25% discount .
Mappin Building
University of Sheffield
Sheffield
Original post by bsharchilev
I am a full - time PhD student at the university (eligible for exemption from the council tax). I have recently received a bill for the council tax; I knew that I am exempt but I never thought that I have to contact the council without their prior notification.

The bill is due on 6th March. Can I still send them my Student Certificate until that time to confirm my exemption so that I won't have to pay the bill?

Thanks in advance!

From the CAB website: 'If you receive a council tax bill but you don't think you should have, you can apply for an exemption'. So it shouldn't be a problem. :smile:

https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/wales/housing/renting-a-home/student-housing/students-in-private-rented-accommodation/student-housing-council-tax/
Reply 3
Original post by AngryJellyfish
From the CAB website: 'If you receive a council tax bill but you don't think you should have, you can apply for an exemption'. So it shouldn't be a problem. :smile:

https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/wales/housing/renting-a-home/student-housing/students-in-private-rented-accommodation/student-housing-council-tax/

Thank you very much for your assurance :smile: Just received this horrifying letter and it came as quite a shock...

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending