The Student Room Group

Would you be happy to be in a jury...

for a death penalty case?

Would you be able to have that responsibility of deciding whether someone should die or not?

From the documentaries that I have seen, many of the jurors say that they will never forget the case and their decision, some even feel regret afterwards.

:h:
No, I was almost part of a jury for a potential rape case and that freaked me out enough :s-smilie:
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Blondie987
No, I was almost part of a jury for a potential rape case and that freaked me out enough :s-smilie:

What happened? I thought you aren't allowed to say no to being on the jury (in the UK)?
Original post by moment of truth
What happened? I thought you aren't allowed to say no to being on the jury (in the UK)?

I had to go to jury selection and fortunately I wasn't picked
I had to go to jury selection and fortunately I wasn't picked

Ahh, do you know why you weren't picked? That's quite interesting...
Ahh, do you know why you weren't picked? That's quite interesting...

You can present them with a reason for why you might not be suitable and I mentioned to someone there that I had Uni exams coming up and would have to miss classes but they didn't tell me for definite if my name was in the selection so who knows?
Yea I think so, and I've been on jury duty for a pretty messed up murder case.
You can present them with a reason for why you might not be suitable and I mentioned to someone there that I had Uni exams coming up and would have to miss classes but they didn't tell me for definite if my name was in the selection so who knows?

Ahh, fair enough. :h:

what's a rose case??

under certain circumstances you can, like heavily pregnant, have exams

i wouldn't want to do jury service, they go through the case in gory details and just no. it can take weeks. plus, i dont want the (suspected) murderer to come after me
Original post by chickenfoot
what's a rose case??

i wouldn't want to do jury service, they go through the case in gory details and just no. it can take weeks. plus, i dont want the (suspected) murderer to come after me

I don't know, might want to check that quote again?
(edited 8 years ago)
I'd find a way to be kicked off the jury. A man's life is not up to me, especially when I probably don't want to be there in the first place.
Original post by XOR_
Yea I think so, and I've been on jury duty for a pretty messed up murder case.

How did you find it?

what's a rose case??

I thought the same thing, but when I quoted the post, it came up as 'rape case'.

Ahh cool.

It would be interesting to know whether there has been a case of a jury member being sought from the perpetrator. I can understand not wanting to do it for the gory details, they would most likely stay with you for your entire life.
I don't know, might want to check that quote again? :smile:

i must be seeing things!
No I could never make that decision
i must be seeing things!

I think when I first wrote it, it autocorrected to rose but I edited the post a couple of minutes later so it may have just glitched?
I'd feel regret for passing the buck as well as for effectively sentencing someone to death

But are there not death penalty cases where there is some option for a guilty verdict to be recorded that avoids the death penalty?
Original post by Blind Ferret
I'd find a way to be kicked off the jury. A man's life is not up to me, especially when I probably don't want to be there in the first place.

I saw a case where 10 of the 12 jurors wanted the death penalty, but two were reluctant to give it. In the end, the 2 felt like the 10 weren't going to let it be and just caved in and agreed for the death penalty. I feel like that probably happens a lot in these cases, where a few jurors end up influencing another's decision.

Original post by a noble chance
I'd feel regret for passing the buck as well as for effectively sentencing someone to death

But are there not death penalty cases where there is some option for a guilty verdict to be recorded that avoids the death penalty?

I am pretty sure there are, but even then, some people still opt for a not guilty verdict which then allows it to get to the death penalty question.
I saw a case where 10 of the 12 jurors wanted the death penalty, but two were reluctant to give it. In the end, the 2 felt like the 10 weren't going to let it be and just caved in and agreed for the death penalty. I feel like that probably happens a lot in these cases, where a few jurors end up influencing another's decision.

I am pretty sure there are, but even then, some people still opt for a not guilty verdict which then allows it to get to the death penalty question.

No, I am referring to not guilty pleas where a guilty verdict is eventually recorded but there are ways out of sentencing them to death
Seems like it takes a long time. I haven't studied law either.

I think if you shout "Jury Nullification" they let you walk out.
for a death penalty case?

Would you be able to have that responsibility of deciding whether someone should die or not?

From the documentaries that I have seen, many of the jurors say that they will never forget the case and their decision, some even feel regret afterwards.

:h:

I would be happy to be in a jury because:

- I am confident in my own views regarding the current UK death penalty
- I am confident to trust the current UK legislation regarding our death penalty
- I am confident that any alleged criminal would be aware of such legislation
- I am confident that I would be acting in accordance with our law.

If a person commits a crime without knowledge of such a deed, then it is a whole different story, and I would be one of many who would vote in their favour in this instance.

We all have a responsibility to act as jurors. This is called upon us, sometimes several times. During this time, you must view the law as the law, and ignore both defensive and offensive legal argument - view the defendant as an individual with no prior conviction or assistance, and treat them accordingly.

Unless you have been on Jury Duty yourselves, this thread is rather pointless. I have been on Jury Duty and was on the deciding factor of a rather nasty crime, which I would have liked to sentence as Guilty, but you have to put the opinions to one side, and because there was no sufficient evidence, I HAD to say they were not guilty.

This is trusting in your country's legal system, and sometimes you don't agree with it, but you have to go with it anyway, otherwise it's just anarchy.

It is a legal system that works 90% of the time, and 10% of the time, it doesn't. This isn't your place to question as a juror, it is your place to agree or not agree.

And that is the final decision you make.

Just be aware of corruption, as that is your duty too. As a Jury, the role is to act as both guidance and moderation to a judge's verdict.

I have been present in courtroom with an obviously corrupt judge. Make sure you see your own opinion as valid. Otherwise, being a part of the Jury holds no status at all. Fight for it, don't let anyone tell you otherwise. If you think something is immoral, then for gods sake say so, and stick by it. You cannot be reprimanded for just sticking by your own interpretation of UK law, as you swear to uphold when you start your time as a Juror.
(edited 8 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest