The Student Room Group

How to put currently self teaching A-Levels in CV?

Basically what the title asks.

I am thinking about dropping out of uni and self teach 2 a levels with the intention to apply for a different uni course for 2017/18.

Due to this I will be moving back home and want to look for a part time job to fund for exam entries plus to have some extra money for uni next year ,If experience is anything to go by, I'll need it :smile:

My education part of my CV lists the school and college I've been to but how would I put self teaching.

Would it be simply;

Self Teaching
-A-Level Mathematics
-A-Level Sociology

?

If so should I also put down when I intend to take the exam and my plan to go to uni.

I'm probably overthinking but I just want to be safe
Wouldn't it be easier to do an Access course or a degree with a foundation year? I would just put the name of the school/college where you took the exams. Something like this:

2016 - 2018: St Mark's High School (studied independently)
A level Sociology
Reply 2
Original post by Snufkin
Wouldn't it be easier to do an Access course or a degree with a foundation year? I would just put the name of the school/college where you took the exams. Something like this:

2016 - 2018: St Mark's High School (studied independently)
A level Sociology

I have considered a degree with a foundation year but I feel as if I will be successful with self study. With Maths in college I just went to lessons and did well at answering the questions but I would then go home and do nothing of any importance.

I am now dedicated to get a good maths grade and reckon self study will be good alongside a part time job.

As for sociology it probably will be a gamble self studying it since it will be new to me. But I am determined and want to put in the hours.
Original post by david-reeves
I have considered a degree with a foundation year but I feel as if I will be successful with self study. With Maths in college I just went to lessons and did well at answering the questions but I would then go home and do nothing of any importance.

I am now dedicated to get a good maths grade and reckon self study will be good alongside a part time job.

As for sociology it probably will be a gamble self studying it since it will be new to me. But I am determined and want to put in the hours.

I see, good luck! Any idea what degree you want to do?
Reply 4
Original post by Snufkin
I see, good luck! Any idea what degree you want to do?

I've been looking at philosophy, psychology and sociology. I haven't decided yet but those are the sort of areas I'm looking at. I may even consider getting a Joint honour.

It's all pretty undecided, but I know a good grade in maths is something I definitely want to give me more options with courses and better universities.
Original post by david-reeves

2016 [Tab] Self-teaching A level Subject and Subject
2015-16 [Tab] University of Wherever, withdrew
20xx-15 [Tab] School Name, Town
A level Subject (X), Subject (X), Subject (X)
XX GCSEs including English and Maths
Original post by threeportdrift
2016 [Tab] Self-teaching A level Subject and Subject
2015-16 [Tab] University of Wherever, withdrew
20xx-15 [Tab] School Name, Town
A level Subject (X), Subject (X), Subject (X)
XX GCSEs including English and Maths

What about in two or three years times once the OP has finished the A level? I didn't put 'self-teaching' on my CV, looks a bit silly TBH.
Original post by Snufkin
What about in two or three years times once the OP has finished the A level? I didn't put 'self-teaching' on my CV, looks a bit silly TBH.

Well then, if A levels are still relevant, it will be Self-taught. Don't give the exam centre the credit if you got of your backside and taught yourself what you needed to learn!
Just do something like this

Education

Home year
A level maths and sociology 2015 - present.

Also as long as you put the effort in you will be fine. It's not necessarily easier to go to an educational institute. Keep at it and get those A's.Don't make it complex. You can mention self-teaching in your cover letter or at the interview.
Reply 9
Thanks for the help everyone :smile:

A couple of weeks ago I was really worried about dropping out and what I would do next. Now, I'm full of confidence and ready to get my head down. Plus, best case scenario I get 2 A's and getting that through self teaching I reckon will give me that little extra edge when applying to uni and jobs in the future

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending