The Student Room Group

HELP: I need to prove UCL is a world-leading research uni

Hi,

I'm from Portugal and I'm an applicant to the Biological Sciences course at UCL.
Here's the deal: There's a type of scholarship awarded here to students who go to top universities in the world. They told me I had to prove them that UCL is one of these unis (ikr)... so basically I have to gather data to justify this.
Do you know what I can include?
So far I have:
- rankings
- RAE 2008 and REF 2014
- Nobel Prizes
- Awards from 2010 to 2015
- Research funds
- Some news

Is there any chance I can get a biologist saying that UCL is a world-leading research uni? I have no idea what to add!
Thanks

Scroll to see replies

You mean you want a biology student to say UCL is a top university? I can't see how that'd help, what you've already got should be more than enough. Which rankings are you using by the way?
Original post by Snufkin
You mean you want a biology student to say UCL is a top university? I can't see how that'd help, what you've already got should be more than enough. Which rankings are you using by the way?

No... not a biology student. A researcher that knows about UCL work and research.
I'm using QS and CWUR

This is stupid, they should know that UCL a great uni... how can they believe in what I'll say? honestly ._.
No... not a biology student. A researcher that knows about UCL work and research.
I'm using QS and CWUR

This is stupid, they should know that UCL a great uni... how can they believe in what I'll say? honestly ._.

Just tell them to look at the university website lol
(edited 5 years ago)
I'm using QS and CWUR

Hmm, not sure if there are any researchers on this forum. Might be the odd PhD student though @punctuation

I've never heard of CWUR, you should use THE instead, much more generally respected.
(edited 5 years ago)
Why dont you contact customer services or the media relations team at UCL?
Hi,

I'm from Portugal and I'm an applicant to the Biological Sciences course at UCL.
Here's the deal: There's a type of scholarship awarded here to students who go to top universities in the world. They told me I had to prove them that UCL is one of these unis (ikr)... so basically I have to gather data to justify this.
Do you know what I can include?
So far I have:
- rankings
- RAE 2008 and REF 2014
- Nobel Prizes
- Awards from 2010 to 2015
- Research funds
- Some news

Is there any chance I can get a biologist saying that UCL is a world-leading research uni? I have no idea what to add!
Thanks

Are you sure that's not enough? I'm not entirely sure how a member of staff saying "UCL is a world-leading research university" would make any difference since 1) it's obvious from the rest of the information you've provided and 2) anybody can say their university is world-leading.
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 7
UCL has never won University Challenge so it can't be that good.
Original post by Plagioclase
Are you sure that's not enough? I'm not entirely sure how a member of staff saying "UCL is a world-leading research university" would make any difference since 1) it's obvious from the rest of the information you've provided and 2) anybody can say their university is world-leading.

I know... it's nothing too official. They told to get statements from biologists even though they'll never know if biologists wrote them.
I sent an e-mail to the BioSciences Department asking for any sort of info. that can help to acknowledge UCL as a world-leading research center but I'll probably go with what I have.

Thank you!
Original post by Maker
UCL has never won University Challenge so it can't be that good.

Isn't University Challenge a TV show???
Reply 10
Isn't University Challenge a TV show???

Yes, only the best universities win, thats not UCL.
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by Maker
Yes, only the best universities win, thats not UCL.

So you're telling me that UCL isn't a good university because it hasn't won? what?
What does the general knowledge of a few students have to do with the overall quality of the university? I'm so confused right now
So you're telling me that UCL isn't a good university because it hasn't won? what?
What does the general knowledge of a few students have to do with the overall quality of the university? I'm so confused right now

He is joking.
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by Snufkin
Hmm, not sure if there are any researchers on this forum. Might be the odd PhD student though @punctuation

I've never heard of CWUR, you should use THE instead, much more generally respected.

Yup, PhD student at UCL here. Honestly, I doubt a testimonial from a random researcher will do you any good. You might want to contact the Dean of your faculty if you really want an official letter. Or try contacting the admin to see what they suggest. But really, if they can't see from the REF, league tables, etc. etc. that UCL is (rightly) a top university, it's their problem not yours..
Original post by punctuation
Yup, PhD student at UCL here. Honestly, I doubt a testimonial from a random researcher will do you any good. You might want to contact the Dean of your faculty if you really want an official letter. Or try contacting the admin to see what they suggest. But really, if they can't see from the REF, league tables, etc. etc. that UCL is (rightly) a top university, it's their problem not yours..

Thank you! ^_^
Original post by Arsenal96
Why? UCL is a low-grade university which is average at best. There are many universities in the UK which are better

I take it they rejected you? :lol:
Original post by Snufkin
I take it they rejected you? :lol:

No, I went there thinking it was great only to find out it was ****. I would not recommend it to anyone
Original post by Arsenal96
No, I went there thinking it was great only to find out it was ****. I would not recommend it to anyone

What did you study?
Original post by Snufkin
What did you study?

EE, the engineering department is just poor in my opinion
Reply 19
No offense, but this scholarship-awarding body you are talking about seem pretty moronic. They need YOU to write to them about the prestige of UCL? They can't find out for themselves? Plus, it's UCL - they need confirmation that it's good enough? SMH...

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending