The Student Room Group

My Road to A* everywhere

Scroll to see replies

Original post by brainzistheword
Hey there, I'm scared too! The pressure is immense and I know what you mean about the content.

I honestly don't know how I get them grades - there is no magical formula I can give you but all I can say is that if you really want the grades, then commit as much as you can to studying (though I am sure you already do) and find ways to make your study more effective. By this, try making notes in a set time (it makes you do the same work but take up less time) and this way you'll have more time for practice papers and other things.

As long as you put the effort in now and try your damnedest then there is nothing for you to worry about and I'm sure you can leave school in June knowing you did everything you could - and I'm sure the envelope on results day will back you up :smile:

If you need any help with anything I'd be more than happy to help :biggrin:

Thank you so much. I don't know if my revision timetable is working out lool. Because I do 1 hour of the core subjects each so chem maths and English and sometimes when I feel like it I do another subject like RE or something. Also, I get A*s in maths but I'm scared if a question like Hannah's sweets come up haha so I'm really scared and also ENGLISH, I really don't get how to write about mood and atmosphere. What's ur exam board?
(Sorry for the long paragraph)
Got A in triple physics. Few marks of an A*, but given how I came in with few hours of sleep, I pretty much winged it. My advice to you good friend, is to study the shiz out of P3. P2 has its challenge but P3 needs most effort. P1 I remembered like the back of my hand.

Isa exams are also a real boost to your grade as well, so if your teacher recommends a retake to achieve A or A* in your ISA, then do what he/she says, cause trust me it helps.

Overall, I aced through most of the past papers, the exam board provides predictable questions which you can actually learn. As for other subjects, divide your time and take it at a moderate pace, don't burn yourself out friend.

If you need any help with Physics (if the specification hasn't changed), I'll be more than glad to be of assistance, just yell! :smile:

Otherwise you've got quite a chunk of time to prepare for the exams, so focus on doing few past papers during the weekend, otherwise your teachers will allocate a decent amount of time to prepare before the exams themselves.
Original post by Roxeber
Thank you so much. I don't know if my revision timetable is working out lool. Because I do 1 hour of the core subjects each so chem maths and English and sometimes when I feel like it I do another subject like RE or something. Also, I get A*s in maths but I'm scared if a question like Hannah's sweets come up haha so I'm really scared and also ENGLISH, I really don't get how to write about mood and atmosphere. What's ur exam board?
(Sorry for the long paragraph)

Well for your revision timetable I would say look at it and think 'does my attention last the whole hour' because for me I could be 2 or 3 shorter sessions in that, do the same amount of work and if I wanted to, I could change the subject I was doing for a bit of variety. Or, as I have said to some people, plan your revision the night before so you can see what you might like to do and can fit it in. Therefore, if you have more free time, you can use this to revise as well, and get more done.

Congrats on getting A* in Maths and I understand your worry, but remember if you always show your working out and practice lots of questions then you should pick up the marks you need to get the grades.

For English, I'm on WJEC and we have to write about mood and atmosphere too. I actually prefer these questions to the essay ones - which texts do you study? I made a list of possible negative and positive mood/atmosphere words to use and basically, the idea with those questions is pick any quotes out and just say what atmosphere or mood it creates - as long as you can back it up with just one sentence you can say it creates absolutely anything. The best way to ensure marks is to always refer to your question - the more times you can write "the writer creates mood and atmosphere by" or "this shows the mood is..." Then the examiner will know you understood the question.

I hope this is useful but if there is anything else don't hesitate to ask :smile:

(apologies for the late reply and the long response :smile: )
(edited 8 years ago)
Well for your revision timetable I would say look at it and think 'does my attention last the whole hour' because for me I could be 2 or 3 shorter session in that, do the same amount of work and if I wanted to, I could change the subject I was doing for a bit of variety. Or, as I have said to some people, plan your revision the night before so you can see what you mightb like to do and can fit it in. Therefore, if you have more free time, you can use this to revise as well, and get more done.

Congrats on getting A* in Maths and I understand your worry, but remember if you always show your working out and practice lots of questions then you should pick up the marks you need to get the grades.

For English, I'm on WJEC and we have to write about mood and atmosphere too. I actually prefer these questions to the essay ones - which texts do you study? I made a list of possible negative and positive mood/atmosphere words to use and basically, the idea with those questions is pick any quotes out and just say what atmosphere or mood it creates - as long as you can back it up with just one sentence you can say it creates absolutely anything. The best way to ensure marks is to always refer to your question - the more times you can write "the writer creates mood and atmosphere by" or "this shows the mood is..." Then the examiner will know you understood the question.

I hope this is useful but if there is anything else don't hesistate to ask :smile:

(apologies for the late reply and the long response :smile: )

Thank you :smile:
I'm doing WJEC for English too! I'm studying OMAM, An Inspector Calls and Heroes. What about you?
Original post by Roxeber
Thank you :smile:
I'm doing WJEC for English too! I'm studying OMAM, An Inspector Calls and Heroes. What about you?

Same! We are both studying the same texts :smile:
Original post by DenKodz
Got A in triple physics. Few marks of an A*, but given how I came in with few hours of sleep, I pretty much winged it. My advice to you good friend, is to study the shiz out of P3. P2 has its challenge but P3 needs most effort. P1 I remembered like the back of my hand.

Isa exams are also a real boost to your grade as well, so if your teacher recommends a retake to achieve A or A* in your ISA, then do what he/she says, cause trust me it helps.

Overall, I aced through most of the past papers, the exam board provides predictable questions which you can actually learn. As for other subjects, divide your time and take it at a moderate pace, don't burn yourself out friend.

If you need any help with Physics (if the specification hasn't changed), I'll be more than glad to be of assistance, just yell! :smile:

Otherwise you've got quite a chunk of time to prepare for the exams, so focus on doing few past papers during the weekend, otherwise your teachers will allocate a decent amount of time to prepare before the exams themselves.

Yes! After doing these mocks I can definitely say I need to revise P3 more, but also the P4,P5 and P6 was quite difficult so I shall be focusing on that as much as possible.

Thank you and I will contact you is I need your help :smile:
UPDATE

So this should have been posted this morning - oops - but I was in a mad panic for the mocks

Anyways today I plan to:

Write my German text on a celebrity (which no one has guessed yet :wink: )

And make some little notes or posters that I can put up in my room covering loads of topics

I will also probably do some more proper revision but I'm more inclined to have a relaxed day after the week of mocks...we will see :biggrin:

Reply 227
I rate you. Just work hard and block out those who aren't helpful to you. Its a critical moment for you with all the changes in the A-Level Spec.

Good Luck!
Original post by Guls
I rate you. Just work hard and block out those who aren't helpful to you. Its a critical moment for you with all the changes in the A-Level Spec.

Good Luck!

Thank you very much :smile:
Same! We are both studying the same texts :smile:

Omg be my study buddy. I hate an inspector calls tbh, wbu?
Original post by Roxeber
Omg be my study buddy. I hate an inspector calls tbh, wbu?

Sure - I'm not keen on AIC either - I prefer Heroes :smile:
Sure - I'm not keen on AIC either - I prefer Heroes :smile:

omg me too!!!! And OMAM. Do you think it's fair that Nicole blamed Francis?
Original post by DenKodz

P3 kills me! P3 is the hardest however C3 is the one I mostly forget lol!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Roxeber
omg me too!!!! And OMAM. Do you think it's fair that Nicole blamed Francis?

I think at the time, you could understand why she reacted in the way she did and she was not necessarily herself at the time. But when he visits her in Scotland I think she is more understanding. I think they are both aware of what has happened and as time has passed they come to realise that they have been a bit hasty in blaming each other.
Original post by Jeena_hunt5476
P3 kills me! P3 is the hardest however C3 is the one I mostly forget lol!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yes I agree - I find C3 one of the easiest, so if you need any help let me know :smile:
I think at the time, you could understand why she reacted in the way she did and she was not necessarily herself at the time. But when he visits her in Scotland I think she is more understanding. I think they are both aware of what has happened and as time has passed they come to realise that they have been a bit hasty in blaming each other.

I really think they'd make a cute couple but it obviously didn't work out, did it? :/ If it wasn't for Larry LaSalle........
Btw have u applied to any sixth forms?
Original post by Roxeber
I really think they'd make a cute couple but it obviously didn't work out, did it? :/ If it wasn't for Larry LaSalle........
Btw have u applied to any sixth forms?

Yeah I think they complimented each other, but of course something had to go wrong. Yeah I have applied to 2 so far, but I might apply to more if I get chance. How about you?
Yeah I think they complimented each other, but of course something had to go wrong. Yeah I have applied to 2 so far, but I might apply to more if I get chance. How about you?

Yeah I got into only one so I'm gonna be going there but of course I need to get 3A*s and 5As including ENGLISH and Spanish (sorry for cap locks I don't know why my phone does that) at least. But I want all A*s arghhhhhh.

Aw I'm sorry to hear about your eczema, I hope it doesn't cause you too much trouble when you sit your exams. Mine doesn't seem to have a particular worst season - it's just bad all year round :smile: As for revising - what subjects in particular and are you after tips about specific subjects or just general organisation and routines etc.

Let me know and I'll be happy to help :smile:

Spoiler

Original post by Roxeber
Yeah I got into only one so I'm gonna be going there but of course I need to get 3A*s and 5As including ENGLISH and Spanish (sorry for cap locks I don't know why my phone does that) at least. But I want all A*s arghhhhhh.

WOW!! Both of mine the highest they ask for are Bs and an A in Maths if I want to take FM. I really hope you get those grades, and even better still - if you get all A* which is definitely not impossible :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending