The Student Room Group

Latin A2 Thread

Scroll to see replies

Finally over - long day for me!

I agree that the boundaries will be high, but it's still Latin, so I guess around the 85 mark for an A*.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by *Stefan*
Finally over - long day for me!

I agree that the boundaries will be high, but it's still Latin, so I guess around the 85 mark for an A*.

Posted from TSR Mobile

is that raw score which would still mean 90 UMS?
these marks confuse me so much !
Original post by platypus1997
is that raw score which would still mean 90 UMS?
these marks confuse me so much !

Yeah, UMS marks are static at 90 for an A*.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by *Stefan*
Yeah, UMS marks are static at 90 for an A*.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ahhh okay and then they fiddle with the raw score equivalent to that
So many misconceptions about the A*....

Across AS and A2 you have to average at an A (ie. average unit mark of 80 UMS) AND get 90 or more UMS average unit mark at A2.

So you could get average 70 at AS and 90 at A2 and get an A*, or 100 at AS and 89 at A2 and get an A.
Wondering if anyone on here has advice on how to bridge the gap between AS unseens and A2 unseens? I can do the AS but A2 is just so much more complicated :O
Hi I was just wondering if anyone who did Latin A2 last year/doing it 2016 had any spare notes for either Tacitus' Annals or Virgils Aenied VI they'd be happy to share?
So much harder to find online revision resources compared to other subjects!
Thanks
Original post by SicAdAstra
Hi I was just wondering if anyone who did Latin A2 last year/doing it 2016 had any spare notes for either Tacitus' Annals or Virgils Aenied VI they'd be happy to share?
So much harder to find online revision resources compared to other subjects!
Thanks

For me too please: Tacitus Annals and Catllus! Does anyone know how many points to make/how to structure the 25 mark question for the lit?
Reply 468
Original post by EllaWelly
For me too please: Tacitus Annals and Catllus! Does anyone know how many points to make/how to structure the 25 mark question for the lit?

For me as well please!! I'd like to know how to structure the 25 mark question and if anyone has any notes for lartin A2: Aeneid VI and Pliny the youngers' letters or Greek A2: Antigone and Plato's Phaedo. I'd be extremely grateful. If anyone can help me, please could you send me a private message?

Thanks,

Ed
Me again- does anyone actually have those notes? We have nothing for literature but a translation and we've done no practice questions!

(separate thing: does anyone have any idea from classics/latin related gifts? It's my friend's birthday coming up so something along those lines would be cute)
Original post by EllaWelly
Me again- does anyone actually have those notes? We have nothing for literature but a translation and we've done no practice questions!

(separate thing: does anyone have any idea from classics/latin related gifts? It's my friend's birthday coming up so something along those lines would be cute)

Not sure if you're still needing anything on this but my teacher suggested to us we make as many points as possible for the 25 mark question - at least ten!

I have notes on both Catullus and Tacitus, but they're all hard copies. I could possibly scan them and upload them somewhere? Or send them directly to you because I think there might be some sort of copyright on them...

I also have a past paper that we did with my teacher's mark scheme for the questions somewhere which could give some idea of structure? That might take a bit of searching though, as we did it quite near the start of the year...
(edited 8 years ago)
anyone have the link to the 2003 Latin prose A level paper? I would be very grateful if you could send it to me, i can't find it anywhere!
Afraid I don't know where it is :/ have you got access to papers from before the 2010 spec that are on the OCR website? Would you be able to send me any/forward any links to them? :smile:
I'm terrified of the unseens. I can sit with a passage of Pliny or Ovid and a list of every piece of vocab I don't know, and still fail to understand. Latin's a beautiful language, but I have no idea how anyone ever spoke it in daily life!
Original post by SicAdAstra
Afraid I don't know where it is :/ have you got access to papers from before the 2010 spec that are on the OCR website? Would you be able to send me any/forward any links to them? :smile:

I have some papers that might be of use, although I suspect only the language papers as the set texts change so often!
Original post by GraingerTown
I'm terrified of the unseens. I can sit with a passage of Pliny or Ovid and a list of every piece of vocab I don't know, and still fail to understand. Latin's a beautiful language, but I have no idea how anyone ever spoke it in daily life!

Make sure you revise the grammar and practice lots of unseens! If you're doing OCR AS, the Section B author will be Cicero and if you're doing OCR A2, the authors are Ovid (elegaics) and Livy, so the more grammar you master and the more unseens you try, the more you will get a feel for the language of those particular authors and (hopefully!) not be so terrified!

Hope this helps! :smile:
Anyone else just sat at home having no idea how to learn the set texts and struggling with unseens?

Sometimes, i hate latin...
Original post by sargentsargent2
Anyone else just sat at home having no idea how to learn the set texts and struggling with unseens?

Sometimes, i hate latin...

Yep. It's very frustrating because I usually don't struggle with languages at all, but for some reason I just can't get a feel for Latin idiom, and I'm not retaining vocab
Original post by GraingerTown
Yep. It's very frustrating because I usually don't struggle with languages at all, but for some reason I just can't get a feel for Latin idiom, and I'm not retaining vocab

We changed teacher from AS to A2 and we did the Tacitus set text (which is awful and i can't understand, everyone seems to be called Drusus!) and the Virgil, and i don't know whether we are supposed to learn them all like AS or just learn style or what! Then Livy and Ovid are so hard to translate..
Original post by sargentsargent2
We changed teacher from AS to A2 and we did the Tacitus set text (which is awful and i can't understand, everyone seems to be called Drusus!) and the Virgil, and i don't know whether we are supposed to learn them all like AS or just learn style or what! Then Livy and Ovid are so hard to translate..

I suppose that if anything is going to prove the saving grace, it'll be the fact that there's no direct translation from the set texts. Pliny is manageable, but the Aeneid is very difficult.

I've tried some past papers, and was relieved to find that the unseen translations are somewhat simplified, and heavily glossed.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending