The Student Room Group

Girls: What social pressures do you face?

Scroll to see replies

To be slimmer. To have better grades.
To wear make up. I don't.

Both men and women get on my case about this.
Original post by leavingthecity
To wear make up. I don't.

Both men and women get on my case about this.

It is rather annoying when people expect you to wear make up when you are female (even though I do). Its such a stereotype!
Original post by Bhansongal98
1) That can be really hard. I sympathise! Body ideals change so much over time as well! One moment we're being asked to be curvy and voluptuous and the next society wants us to be twiglets with tiny waists!

2) Hmmm... I understand that a lot of people hold a lot of value in the idea of virginity but I don't think it's the be all and end all of life. You're friends don't have the right to choose someone for you or tell you to have sex but I'd say they have the right to offer. If they find you attractive and enjoy sex then I think it's perfectly natural for them to want to have sex with you! I think you are taking the wrong message from this (just my opinion mind you). Why not take it as a sign that people find you beautiful and desirable? :wink:

3) Screw that. Go for it!

4) As long as you are comfortable in yourself, isn't that all that matters? Besides I bet you rock the leggings/baggy shirt look :cool:

1) Thank you! Not many people I know stand out from their crowd as much as I do :frown:

2) Ah, you see I do not mind the offers in the slightest. The part that gets me is how my friends are asking me why I haven't had sex yet- it's nothing to do with the boys who Im not actually that attracted to, moreover I just have more things to worry about like grades etc than to plan for that moment. Also I'm not exactly comfy enough with my body just yet haha

But thank you again- I do take it as a big compliment! But I think every time an attractive male talks to me that its a joke. No idea how to stop that mentality :frown:

3) Aahahahaha you bet I do
Original post by MrsSheldonCooper
1) You have to be pretty and slim. Most of my friends are size 6s and 8s. I'm a size 10/12 and I defo feel insecure over it. You see loads of girls on instagram with slim bodies,no stretch marks and perfect,unmarked faces. I don't have a flat stomach and my belly sticks out and has stretch marks. I have chubby cheeks and I actually cringe whenever I see a pic of myself. It's not helpful when everyone says, "Oh your older sister is so pretty!" and you're just going through da pain like :colonhash:

2) You need to have a boyfriend. Or you're doomed. Girls from my old school constantly put up pics of them and their boyfriends and then a few annoying ones penalise the girls who don't want bfs atm and call them prudes. Like ffs, as long as I have dogs and food I don't need a man to make me happy.

3) "Oh you did boxing? But you're a girl!"

4) "Oh you don't like rom coms? You like Fight Club and violent action films? But you're a girl!"

5) "What do you mean you're not a feminist? Girls don't have any rights nowadays ffs WHAT IS WRONG WITH YOU " I don't think girls in the West need as much feminism anymore. We have the right to an education and to marry who we love and to work and to make our own choices. That should be enough. For some reason, believing that girls in the Middle East and in South Asia who get forced into marriage and taken out of school and have acid thrown on their faces for giving birth to females instead of males are the ones who need feminism the most is a controversial view.

STORY. OF. MY. LIFE. It's such a confidence killer!!

Our first 3 points are almost exactly the same love u xoxoxoxo
Original post by Amellia123
It is rather annoying when people expect you to wear make up when you are female (even though I do). Its such a stereotype!

And guys don't tend to wear it, but I apparently should???

I prefer the freshly scrubbed glowy j crew look anyway. Let me be!
Original post by ImagineCats
STORY. OF. MY. LIFE. It's such a confidence killer!!

Our first 3 points are almost exactly the same love u xoxoxoxo

Annoying as hell because my sister was offered modelling but turned it down for uni and everyone seems to know. She's slim too -.-

That escalated quickly lmao :' )
Original post by Spock's Socks
The pressure to have kids. I'm not going to ever have them but the hounding about why I wont have them/persuasions for me to try and change my mind continues.

I agree. With women it always boils down to what takes precedence: work or family?

My dream job will require me to forfeit having a decent family life and unfortunately I'll probably choose family.
I feel pressure to look a certain way. To look perfect and to have a flawless body when I'm not I have stretch marks (damn puberty) and scars (from childhood). Or and I'm quite hairy. :colondollar: I swear how comes no celebs have stretch marks or anything.:frown: And to wear makeup.
But you are already fabulous? How can you be pressured to do something that comes so naturally? :wink:

Oh stop it you.

Posted from TSR Mobile
1) Thank you! Not many people I know stand out from their crowd as much as I do :frown:

2) Ah, you see I do not mind the offers in the slightest. The part that gets me is how *a*my friends are asking me why I haven't had sex yet- it's nothing to do with the boys who Im not actually that attracted to, moreover I just have more things to *b*worry about like grades etc than to plan for that moment. Also I'm not exactly comfy enough with my body just yet haha

But thank you again- I do take it as a big compliment! But I think every time an attractive male talks to me that *c*its a joke. No idea how to stop that mentality :frown:

3) Aahahahaha you bet I do

*a* Tell them it ain't none of their beeswax, sister! :wink::bee:
*b* Your best is the best you can do :smile: Don't torture yourself over your grades, especially as you have so much on your plate already. (I'm not saying dismiss them just don't beat yourself up so much!)

*c* There is so much wrong with this :confused::cry2: Why would it be a joke? I can see that you know it's just a mindset that you are in but this still makes me really sad. Maybe you need just a bit of a boost to your self esteem? Try thinking about it from their perspective :smile: You go over to talk to this girl (this smart and amazing yet somehow insecure girl :wink:) and she listens to you and talks to you, but you feel like she's suspicious of you for no reason? Or waiting for a punch line? This might put the guys down a bit or maybe make them feel that you are unobtainable as a friend/permanent girlfriend? (which might be the reason they approach you directly for sex?) I really don't know what your encounters are like but if someone has made the time and effort to speak to you then I don't think they are judging you harshly/joking with your feelings!:crown: You are queen of leggings and baggy t-shirts after all!

I thought you'd like this emoji btw :biggrin:
:begone:
Original post by leavingthecity
And guys don't tend to wear it, but I apparently should???

I prefer the freshly scrubbed glowy j crew look anyway. Let me be!

If I'm totally honest, make up done well on a girl (or guy) that's natural looks great. :h: I bet you're one of those really lucky people who doesn't even need make up anyways :smile:
Haha yes tell them to mind their own :tongue:
Original post by DiddyDec
Oh stop it you.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Stay fab my friend :wink:
Reply 33
to act 'feminine'

nah boo, you do you ok
*a* Tell them it ain't none of their beeswax, sister! :wink::bee:
*b* Your best is the best you can do :smile: Don't torture yourself over your grades, especially as you have so much on your plate already. (I'm not saying dismiss them just don't beat yourself up so much!)

*c* There is so much wrong with this :confused::cry2: Why would it be a joke? I can see that you know it's just a mindset that you are in but this still makes me really sad. Maybe you need just a bit of a boost to your self esteem? Try thinking about it from their perspective :smile: You go over to talk to this girl (this smart and amazing yet somehow insecure girl :wink:) and she listens to you and talks to you, but you feel like she's suspicious of you for no reason? Or waiting for a punch line? This might put the guys down a bit or maybe make them feel that you are unobtainable as a friend/permanent girlfriend? (which might be the reason they approach you directly for sex?) I really don't know what your encounters are like but if someone has made the time and effort to speak to you then I don't think they are judging you harshly/joking with your feelings!:crown: You are queen of leggings and baggy t-shirts after all!

I thought you'd like this emoji btw :biggrin:
:begone:

Never have I ever thought if it in that way- and it seems so simple! I'll force myself to think like that from now on :h: I think its usually for sympathy too, as my friends are the gorgeous ones and I'm just... there ffs

This has seriously helped though! Thank you!

Perfect emoji for this topic- niiiiiiicce
1). To be submissive
2). To get an arrange marriage
3). To know to how to cook PROPERLY
4). To have a model like body
5). To have children
6). To like girly stuff, sports? NOOO.:colonhash:
7). To shut my mouth against gender inequality. Like No.:angry:
think weight is the biggest one
Never have I ever thought if it in that way- and it seems so simple! I'll force myself to think like that from now on :h: I think its usually for sympathy too, as my friends are the gorgeous ones and I'm just... there ffs

This has seriously helped though! Thank you!

Perfect emoji for this topic- niiiiiiicce

No problem :smile: I have enjoyed talking to you!
Pressure is the force per unit area.This means that the pressure a solid object exerts on another solid surface is its weight in newtons divided by its area in square metres.Pressure can be found using the equation:

The unit for pressure is the pascal (Pa).

One pascal is equivalent to one newton per square metre.

Atmospheric pressure is approximately 1 × 105 Pa.

Reply 39
Original post by MrPoopaLoopa
Pressure is the force per unit area.This means that the pressure a solid object exerts on another solid surface is its weight in newtons divided by its area in square metres.Pressure can be found using the equation:

The unit for pressure is the pascal (Pa).

One pascal is equivalent to one newton per square metre.

Atmospheric pressure is approximately 1 × 105 Pa.

wow you're so edgy I almost cut myself

Quick Reply