The Student Room Group

Pretty girls do go for "nice guys" but are you actually a nice guy?

First of all, I am not an expert, and do not claim to be an expert in dating, so don't troll. However this is something I have noticed, and to some extent personal experience (bought too many drinks I shouldn't have bothered with)

Some guys who consider themselves nice actually only see themselves this way because they avoid confrontation by buying a girl drinks, meals, lending money etc. Girls should be bought things by the guy, sure. But in moderation, and never because she has asked you to. These kind of people are actually just pushovers too afraid to say hang on a minute, this seems a little unfair. They think because they're too afraid to say no to a girl this means they are a nice person.

What girls actually want is a nice guy who is STRONG. You can say no to things and question the girl if you feel you are being treated unfairly and still be a nice guy, if you put your thoughts across in the right way. A man afraid to say no is not a nice guy, he's just weak. Girls do not want weak, this is how you end up getting used.

Also one more thing ! Buying a drink for a girl at the bar is another sign of weakness, don't use it as a way to make conversation. If they're interested, they wont expect a drink, and the drink will be irrelevant whether you buy it or not.... Don't be one of the ten guys that have bought her a drink that night while she brags to her mates about how she never buys a drink on a night out.

Thoughts?
(edited 8 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by 2cool
First of all, I am not an expert, and do not claim to be an expert in dating, so don't troll. However this is something I have noticed, and a personal steep learning curve .

Some guys who consider themselves nice actually only see themselves this way because they avoid confrontation by buying a girl drinks, meals, lending money etc. Girls should be bought things by the guy, sure. But in moderation, and never because she has asked you to. These kind of people are actually just pushovers too afraid to say hang on a minute, this seems a little unfair. They think because they're too afraid to say no to a girl this means they are a nice person.

What girls actually want is a nice guy who is STRONG. You can say no to things and question the girl if you feel you are being treated unfairly and still be a nice guy, if you put your thoughts across in the right way. A man afraid to say no is not a nice guy, he's just weak. Girls do not want weak, this is how you end up getting used.

Thoughts?

every page in the chat history wants its thread back. thank you
I feel like the guys whom you are talking about are the same people that use the term 'friend zoned', they're nice to someone just because they want to get with them and when they person rejects them, they feel bitter as they think they're owed something for being a good friend
No one likes a creampuff, or some spineless, jellyfish corporate yes man.

"nice" guys are the passive aggressive creeps who think by white knighting, being beta and all repressed get da ladies. They don't.
Women are like men: they value genuine, authentic, caring, assertive people.

IMHO
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Blondie987
I feel like the guys whom you are talking about are the same people that use the term 'friend zoned', they're nice to someone just because they want to get with them and when they person rejects them, they feel bitter as they think they're owed something for being a good friend

well perhaps they are owed something, if not sexual compensation then financial.

if the girl is just pretty and her company is ****, why do you think he's hanging out with her. why is anybody? and if his company is good and he's funny etc, can't he expect more?
Original post by apronedsamurai
No one likes a creampuff, or some spineless, jellyfish corporate yes man.

"nice" guys are the passive aggressive creeps who think by white knighting, being beta and all repressed get da ladies. They don't.
Women are like men: they value genuine, authentic, caring, assertive people.

IMHO

i don't look for assertiveness in women. i like attractive, nice women
Original post by samharrison
well perhaps they are owed something, if not sexual compensation then financial.

if the girl is just pretty and her company is ****, why do you think he's hanging out with her. why is anybody? and if his company is good and he's funny etc, can't he expect more?

No, they're not. We owe each other respect and that does not come from basically trying to manipulate someone into giving you something because you think you deserve it, and can you imagine how insulting it is to find out that someone was just pretending to be your friend because they found you attractive and nothing more?
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 7
every page in the chat history wants its thread back. thank you

Not sure if this is a dig at me, saying this has been posted numerous times, or if its a dig at all the "why don't pretty girls go for nice guys like me " threads
Original post by Blondie987
No, they're not. We owe each other respect and that does not come from basically trying to manipulate someone into giving you something because you think you deserve it, and can you imagine how insulting it is to find out that someone was just pretending to be your friend because they found you attractive and nothing more?

well the guy they end up ****ing is the same heehee
Original post by 2cool
Not sure if this is a dig at me, saying this has been posted numerous times, or if its a dig at all the "why don't pretty girls go for nice guys like me " threads

it's a dig at you so bore off
Reply 10
"...Girls should be bought things by the guy, sure"

um.. What? What do I get?
a guy should be strong and should be able to communicate freely with the girl, if he thinks he's been treated unfairly then he should say it
its all about being able to communicate properly without arguing
long relationship tip 1
but then again a guy should be 'nice' enough to compromise a bit
as should the girl...
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by 2cool
First of all, I am not an expert, and do not claim to be an expert in dating, so don't troll. However this is something I have noticed, and to some extent personal experience (bought too many drinks I shouldn't have bothered with)

Also one more thing ! Buying a drink for a girl at the bar is another sign of weakness, don't use it as a way to make conversation. If they're interested, they wont expect a drink, and the drink will be irrelevant whether you buy it or not.... Don't be one of the ten guys that have bought her a drink that night while she brags to her mates about how she never buys a drink on a night out.

Thoughts?

Reply 13
Original post by spv
"...Girls should be bought things by the guy, sure"

um.. What? What do I get?

I should have elaborated - they should be surprised from time to time and treated to things, but it should be reciprocated not just one way traffic. I didn't want to give off the opinion you shouldn't buy a woman anything ever and treat her like ****
I'd like to add that no, girls do not like the entire subset "nice guys" of "guys". If you're overweight and long term unemployed and nice, outlook is bleak for a relationship tbh, regardless of how nice you are and what other attributes you might have.
Reply 15
Original post by Death Grips

Yet time and time again "nice guys" are always complaining girls want bad boys. I agree it should be obvious
Original post by 2cool

Also one more thing ! Buying a drink for a girl at the bar is another sign of weakness, don't use it as a way to make conversation. If they're interested, they wont expect a drink, and the drink will be irrelevant whether you buy it or not.... Don't be one of the ten guys that have bought her a drink that night while she brags to her mates about howshe never buys a drink on a night out.

Thoughts?

Reply 17
I'd like to add that no, girls do not like the entire subset "nice guys" of "guys". If you're overweight and long term unemployed and nice, outlook is bleak for a relationship tbh, regardless of how nice you are and what other attributes you might have.

Of course, in the same way that looks do matter, no matter how great your personality and job.
Reply 18
Original post by thefatone

See attached.
Original post by 2cool
See attached.

that's why you have -1 in your rep

Quick Reply

Latest