The Student Room Group

Calling out people with low IQs

Scroll to see replies

How do so many of you know your IQ?

But even on those online tests I generally only managed around 120 each time, so I'm probably more average on a real test. I think people with unusually high IQs generally have it worse, I knew a guy at school who had an IQ of 168 (actually legit) and he was an autist in more ways than one.
Original post by Dinasaurus
How do so many of you know your IQ?

But even on those online tests I generally only managed around 120 each time, so I'm probably more average on a real test. I think people with unusually high IQs generally have it worse, I knew a guy at school who had an IQ of 168 (actually legit) and he was an autist in more ways than one.
lol
Original post by mrdisgruntled
Right, so I think that IQ is a poor way of measuring intelligence. That means that I am highly likely to have taken an IQ test and scored poorly and I am bitter about it?

It's this kind of one-dimensional thinking that brought about the pathetic IQ tests in the first place. IQ tries to measure intelligence but it actually measures your score on a test focused on a few puzzles, nothing more.

If the best scientists have the highest IQs and most of the developed countries have the highest IQs, I think it must be a fairly decent measure of intelligence rather than a fluke
If only everyone was smart, we'd all have gigantic IQs.
Original post by kieran12321LFC
If the best scientists have the highest IQs and most of the developed countries have the highest IQs, I think it must be a fairly decent measure of intelligence rather than a fluke

You're taking, what, between 500 and 10,000 of the smartest people out of a developed world population of approximately 5 billion people and saying that the fact that they generally have high IQs means that it is a good test of intelligence?

That is called extrapolation my little friend, something we're taught to avoid in any mathematical-related degree. Just because some scientists (note not all) have high IQs, it doesn't mean there's a correlation. There can be low IQ scientists and high IQ homeless people. You're making annoyingly frustrating assumptions.

Look up Ben Carson, he is a skilled neurosurgeon with years and years of expertise medical training, yet he doesn't believe in global warming, he says all kinds of stupid things.
You're taking, what, between 500 and 10,000 of the smartest people out of a developed world population of approximately 5 billion people and saying that the fact that they generally have high IQs means that it is a good test of intelligence?

That is called extrapolation my little friend, something we're taught to avoid in any mathematical-related degree.

Look up Ben Carson, he is a skilled neurosurgeon with years and years of expertise medical training, yet he doesn't believe in global warming, he says all kinds of stupid things.

**** me, there's no winning here, you can believe IQ isn't a measure of intelligence if you want, I'm not gonna change that
**** me, there's no winning here, you can believe IQ isn't a measure of intelligence if you want, I'm not gonna change that

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/science/science-news/9755929/IQ-tests-do-not-reflect-intelligence.html

is it really that hard to spell out?

Read this, you might learn something

You can't measure intelligence, you can measure memory and thinking skills, but we haven't actually defined intelligence.

If you really want some more proof, Richard Feynman, considered the smartest physicist of all time, apparently scored 123.
(edited 8 years ago)
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/science/science-news/9755929/IQ-tests-do-not-reflect-intelligence.html

is it really that hard to spell out?

Read this, you might learn something

You can't measure intelligence, you can measure memory and thinking skills, but we haven't actually defined intelligence.

If you really want some more proof, Richard Feynman, considered the smartest physicist of all time, apparently scored 123.

News articles aren't really a decent source as they spout loads of shite anyway. It's an undeniable truth that countries with higher national IQs are generally more developed, the average STEM student beats the average Arts/Humanities student and the greatest minds have had the highest IQs. What more do you need
the average STEM student beats the average Arts/Humanities student

In what?
Mine is higher than that and I'm a habitual self-saboteur and general failure. :h:
Original post by Plagioclase
In what?

IQ tests
In what?

In science. :colonhash:
IQ tests

Well obviously, since they're training the exact skills that IQ tests test for? That's just as meaningless a statement as saying that fine arts students are better at art exams than STEM students. It tells us nothing of value.
Well obviously, since they're training the exact skills that IQ tests test for? That's just as meaningless a statement as saying that fine arts students are better at art exams than STEM students. It tells us nothing of value.

The people making major technological advances for us in the future won't be former Arts students but will have studied one of the Sciences. I suppose "Everyone's intelligent in their own way".
Original post by CantGainWeight
If your IQ is lower than 130, how do you carry on living a normal life?

I don't. :no:
The people making major technological advances for us in the future won't be former Arts students but will have studied one of the Sciences.

Well obviously... technology is not the only valuable thing that humans do though.
The people making major technological advances for us in the future won't be former Arts students but will have studied one of the Sciences. I suppose "Everyone's intelligent in their own way".

yeh but the majority of former science students are pretty average folk who teach in schools, work in finance, maybe have an average academic career in a uni if they're lucky.

just as the majority of former art students are pretty average folk, but you get the odd one who makes really great art that enriches people's lives.
Original post by samharrison
yeh but the majority of former science students are pretty average folk who teach in schools, work in finance, maybe have an average academic career in a uni if they're lucky.

just as the majority of former art students are pretty average folk, but you get the odd one who makes really great art that enriches people's lives.

Well obviously... technology is not the only valuable thing that humans do though.

Art is simply for entertainment but science is for development
Art is simply for entertainment but science is for development

right sure

i value art more.

scientists are more replaceable than artists imo

To be fair, there may be some truth to that: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Theory_of_multiple_intelligences.

Quick Reply

Latest