The Student Room Group

How useful are Medicine Open days?

Looking to apply for entry to medicine in Sep 2017. If applying to medicine is all about applying strategically and applying to one's strengths what role do open days play? Would attending open days help in interviews (like answering why them?) or anything else? Bit confused on which to visit and and wondering if travelling long distances for an open day is worth it? Any help appreciated. Thanks in advance.
Original post by First choice
Looking to apply for entry to medicine in Sep 2017. If applying to medicine is all about applying strategically and applying to one's strengths what role do open days play? Would attending open days help in interviews (like answering why them?) or anything else? Bit confused on which to visit and and wondering if travelling long distances for an open day is worth it? Any help appreciated. Thanks in advance.

I didn't visit any open days.
What I did was that UCAS holds event all across the country throughout the year where universities from all over come and represent.
S youu can find a UCAS convention in your area, and go to it.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2

I don't think that applying for medicine should be "all about" strategy. If you have good enough grades, then you will have more choices available to you, and open days can help you decide if you like the feel of a place. I wouldn't go to loads, but once you've done your online research and narrowed down a list, a few open days can be helpful.

No. I've never been to a single open day (I didn't even visit my unis) and I have offers from medical schools.
Original post by Bloom77
I didn't visit any open days.
What I did was that UCAS holds event all across the country throughout the year where universities from all over come and represent.
S youu can find a UCAS convention in your area, and go to it.

Posted from TSR Mobile

yep
I'm going to one on thursday
Reply 5

Hey! Choosing a university is also choosing where you wish to live for a considerable amount of time, if you are going to move away from home. So it might be helpful to get a feel for the place, the university, the course, and the departmental buildings :h:
Formal open days are useful but not essential. All the admissions policies and info you need to do well in an interview will be available online, and you can always email them if you're still unsure about something.

That said I do think it's useful to visit the unis you're interested in and wander around campus/check out the surroundings, but that doesn't have to be on an open day.

I went to the RUMS and GKT open days when I was in sixth form - good day out but definitely not essential. I can only imagine how much more of a "consumer experience" the whole thing has probably become since I was in sixth form...
Reply 7
personally I think they're fairly useless in terms of getting in, but can be valuble in deciding which university is right for you since you get to meet students and talk to them about the student life there etc. But won't add anything in particular in your application (unless they ask things like why this university or what can you offer to student life here, then you can talk about the aspects that fit you, but most of the inforamtion for these questions can be found online anyway).

So overall, go to them only if you want to get an honest opinion about what studying and living in the area etc. is like for that university, otherwise I think its a waste of time

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending