The Student Room Group

Best A Level combination?

Starting year 12 in September, and I want to do science/maths as a future career, so my a level options are maths/science heavy (in the plan at the moment). I think I want to do maths, further maths, biology and physics, however, would it be better to do a less math/science based subject instead of one of these, such as English literature or French, to keep options open and to show a wider range of skills? Is this more impressive to universities than all science and maths ones?
Thanks in advance :smile:
It is more impressive to unis to have an essay based subject with sciences as it shows broad interest and also you have skills in essay writing. You should research courses you may be interested in and see what they require.
Reply 2
Meh I think most universities would be happy with maths and sciences if you're going into a maths or science course.
However, I did Maths, Further Maths, Physics and English Lit and while I don't think English helped with regards to getting offers or anything it did offer some nice variety in my studies and was good to keep my essay writing skills at a decent standard

Original post by 102938475699
Starting year 12 in September, and I want to do science/maths as a future career, so my a level options are maths/science heavy (in the plan at the moment). I think I want to do maths, further maths, biology and physics, however, would it be better to do a less math/science based subject instead of one of these, such as English literature or French, to keep options open and to show a wider range of skills? Is this more impressive to universities than all science and maths ones?
Original post by Vikingninja
It is more impressive to unis to have an essay based subject with sciences as it shows broad interest and also you have skills in essay writing. You should research courses you may be interested in and see what they require.

Are there any you think are better than? And which should I do in the place of what?
Are there any you think are better than? And which should I do in the place of what?

Look into what courses you may be interested in, I can't tell you what to choose.
Original post by 1 8 13 20 42
Meh I think most universities would be happy with maths and sciences if you're going into a maths or science course.
However, I did Maths, Further Maths, Physics and English Lit and while I don't think English helped with regards to getting offers or anything it did offer some nice variety in my studies and was good to keep my essay writing skills at a decent standard

Do you think you would have lost essay writing ability had you not done english lit a level?
Look into what courses you may be interested in, I can't tell you what to choose.

I'm not asking you to tell me what to choose, I am just asking for some advice.

oh? really? i do pilosophy, physics, chemistry and maths
Reply 8
Do you think you would have lost essay writing ability had you not done english lit a level?

Nah, but it's nice to practice and I probably improved a lot in general through taking it.
Might be useful looking at some courses you're interested in and seeing if they specify what kind of subject combo they want
I'm not asking you to tell me what to choose, I am just asking for some advice.

Yeah the only advice I can give is research some courses you may be interested in and choose your A levels based on subjects you enjoy and what those courses need.

Original post by thefatone
oh? really? i do pilosophy, physics, chemistry and maths

Yeah it shows you have a broad interest (hard to explain for me) and other skills. Does help a lot more if the essay based subject is also related to a uni course (as my dad put it "wow, looks like your choices were accidentally good for the course", awkward silence after that).

Maths and science!
Maths, Physics and something that shows you're not just a maths geek (Philosophy, Classics, Language, History, English)
Hey!

I'm currently taking maths, further maths, biology, chemistry and statistics at A level - so you might be able to guess my least favourite subjects were essay subjects! :smile: I'd say take whatever you enjoy doing, because I know a few of my friends have chosen some essay subjects for the sake of it, and because they thought it would look good, but if you don't have a genuine interest in it then you're not going to want to write three essays a week (which is what some of them do!) on top of all your science-y subjects, too. Obviously not taking an essay subjects means I'm not getting substantially BETTER at writing, but it definitely doesn't mean I'm getting worse. Just take the subjects you'll enjoy studying for the next two years :biggrin:

Im doing the same (+economics) and I think it does help you communicate better and become more eloquent which i think would set you apart from other scientists at a university interview
Original post by VetStudentOf2017
Hey!

I'm currently taking maths, further maths, biology, chemistry and statistics at A level - so you might be able to guess my least favourite subjects were essay subjects! :smile: I'd say take whatever you enjoy doing, because I know a few of my friends have chosen some essay subjects for the sake of it, and because they thought it would look good, but if you don't have a genuine interest in it then you're not going to want to write three essays a week (which is what some of them do!) on top of all your science-y subjects, too. Obviously not taking an essay subjects means I'm not getting substantially BETTER at writing, but it definitely doesn't mean I'm getting worse. Just take the subjects you'll enjoy studying for the next two years :biggrin:

How do you find the workload for it?
How do you find the workload for it?

I've not let the workload get on top of me this year - by which I mean I've been revising most nights and handed in each piece of homework. Though it's safe to say it's a difficult combination of subjects and everyone else who was doing this combo has dropped at least one of them :redface: You sound like you're really motivated so I reckon you should go for it!

Quick Reply

Latest