The Student Room Group

My Road to A* everywhere

Scroll to see replies

Original post by killerqueen16

Spoiler

Well for organisation I have a folder for each of my subjects and dividers within those so I can section each module. I put any handouts in them and make a mindmap to go at the back of each section.

As for a routine, first of all how long do you like to study? If this is something you are not sure about take a look at the Pomodoro Technique or do some experimenting before it gets too close to exams. When you have worked out how long you study best then divide up your available time each day or each week and allocate topics to them so that you know exactly what you cant to achieve. (If you use an electronic calendar it may be easier for you if you ever need to switch sessions around or change everything because of an event, but if you prefer paper, then sticky notes with the sessions written on may be useful as you can move them around.

I'm glad to hear you have to understand topics - this is the best way and will be valuable to you in the exams. Haveyou tried to teach someone or just talk it out aloud - sometime this helps you make sense of concepts. Also, mindmaps or sketchnoting may be a good idea as you can link ideas together and use images (if you don't know what sketchnoting is let me know).

I would say use revision cards or a prompt card but these may be more useful for memorisation, although you could use them to see if you can recall topics and general ideas if you have a free few minutes.

Also, look online for other websites which cover the content of your exams - for example, Bangor Uni make science booklets that cover everything I study at GCSE so it may be worth a look. This way, you get multiple ways to explain something, so it may stick easier than the way the textbook does :smile:

I hope these help and I'm sorry for it being so wordy.
If you need anything else let me know :biggrin:
Original post by brainzistheword
WOW!! Both of mine the highest they ask for are Bs and an A in Maths if I want to take FM. I really hope you get those grades, and even better still - if you get all A* which is definitely not impossible :biggrin:

Omg I think that we should swap out requirement grades because without a doubt you're gonna get all A*s :biggrin: and I'm so happy for u, I really appreciate how you're working to get those A*s.
Original post by Roxeber
Omg I think that we should swap out requirement grades because without a doubt you're gonna get all A*s :biggrin: and I'm so happy for u, I really appreciate how you're working to get those A*s.

We should! But nothing's guaranteed with my grades - but thanks and I'll continue the work to try and get them :biggrin:
We should! But nothing's guaranteed with my grades - but thanks and I'll continue the work to try and get them :biggrin:

Good - btw I didn't catch your name, if u don't mind me asking :smile:
Original post by Roxeber
Good - btw I didn't catch your name, if u don't mind me asking :smile:

Ah yes sorry - I'm Zoe :smile:
Ah yes sorry - I'm Zoe :smile:

Aw my friend is called Zoe :smile:
Well for organisation I have a folder for each of my subjects and dividers within those so I can section each module. I put any handouts in them and make a mindmap to go at the back of each section.

As for a routine, first of all how long do you like to study? If this is something you are not sure about take a look at the Pomodoro Technique or do some experimenting before it gets too close to exams. When you have worked out how long you study best then divide up your available time each day or each week and allocate topics to them so that you know exactly what you cant to achieve. (If you use an electronic calendar it may be easier for you if you ever need to switch sessions around or change everything because of an event, but if you prefer paper, then sticky notes with the sessions written on may be useful as you can move them around.

I'm glad to hear you have to understand topics - this is the best way and will be valuable to you in the exams. Haveyou tried to teach someone or just talk it out aloud - sometime this helps you make sense of concepts. Also, mindmaps or sketchnoting may be a good idea as you can link ideas together and use images (if you don't know what sketchnoting is let me know).

I would say use revision cards or a prompt card but these may be more useful for memorisation, although you could use them to see if you can recall topics and general ideas if you have a free few minutes.

Also, look online for other websites which cover the content of your exams - for example, Bangor Uni make science booklets that cover everything I study at GCSE so it may be worth a look. This way, you get multiple ways to explain something, so it may stick easier than the way the textbook does :smile:

I hope these help and I'm sorry for it being so wordy.
If you need anything else let me know :biggrin:

wow thank you so so much i will definitely take your advice on board and yep i dont know what sketchnoting is. btw have you applied for college and how what subjects are you doing right now at school
wow thank you so so much i will definitely take your advice on board and yep i dont know what sketchnoting is. btw have you applied for college and how what subjects are you doing right now at school

Glad I could be of assistance - as for sketchnoting it is basically turning as much of the wordy stuff as you can into pictures. This way you can create mental associations with what you have taken notes on - it may be useful for concepts as you can draw out stages or something like that. If you type it into Google images there are loads of examples :wink:

I have applied for 2 colleges through their online application systems and at the minute at school I study, English lit and language, Maths, Physics, Chemistry, Biology, History, German, Geography and ICT.
Glad I could be of assistance - as for sketchnoting it is basically turning as much of the wordy stuff as you can into pictures. This way you can create mental associations with what you have taken notes on - it may be useful for concepts as you can draw out stages or something like that. If you type it into Google images there are loads of examples :wink:

I have applied for 2 colleges through their online application systems and at the minute at school I study, English lit and language, Maths, Physics, Chemistry, Biology, History, German, Geography and ICT.

yes omg im so happy your doing ict how do you revise for that and for history what are your topics and exam board
UPDATE FOR DAY 10

Well, that's all my mocks done and dusted! Sooo tired!

I haven't done much revision today, just relaxed, but I have written up my German and looked briefly at Physics and Gravitational Potential Energy.
yes omg im so happy your doing ict how do you revise for that and for history what are your topics and exam board

Well at the minute our teacher hasn't even given us the exam paper details so I don't know how to find them, but when I do I will be purely using exam papers and identifying my weaknesses.

For History my exam board is OCR and we are doing British Depth Study - Home Front, Women's Suffrage and Liberal reforms , American Depth Study including Sacco and Vanzetti and Wall Street Crash, as well as the Cuban Missile Crisis and Cold War,
Well at the minute our teacher hasn't even given us the exam paper details so I don't know how to find them, but when I do I will be purely using exam papers and identifying my weaknesses.

For History my exam board is OCR and we are doing British Depth Study - Home Front, Women's Suffrage and Liberal reforms , American Depth Study including Sacco and Vanzetti and Wall Street Crash, as well as the Missile Crisis and Cold War,

ah ok im doing something completely different to you. my exam board is aqa and edexcel. thank you so much for helping me though.
How were the the Mocks? Do you think you met your expectations?
UPDATE FOR DAY 10
Well, that's all my mocks done and dusted! Sooo tired!

I haven't done much revision today, just relaxed, but I have written up my German and looked briefly at Physics and Gravitational Potential Energy.

When's your German assessment? Bit mean having one of your weeks taken up by mocks though :s-smilie:
Mine was yesterday, so glad it's over! :biggrin:
If you say that you would be the first in your family I would recommend that you apply to MAP when you get in college it will increase your chance of getting into a uni and it's just good for you overall.... I'm doing MAP now though I'm in college (first year)
ah ok im doing something completely different to you. my exam board is aqa and edexcel. thank you so much for helping me though.

Ah that's unfortunate but if you do need any more help - just message me and I'll see what I can do :smile:
Original post by ibte10
How were the the Mocks? Do you think you met your expectations?

I think some of them were ok, such as Maths and Chemistry but the others I thought were quite tricky. I'm not sure I've met any of my expectations but we will have to wait and see :smile:
Original post by NiamhM1801
When's your German assessment? Bit mean having one of your weeks taken up by mocks though :s-smilie:
Mine was yesterday, so glad it's over! :biggrin:

I think it will probably be in a fortnight although we haven't been given an exact date because of the mocks. How did yours go? Could you fit it into 6 minutes? :smile:
Original post by faithfullymee
If you say that you would be the first in your family I would recommend that you apply to MAP when you get in college it will increase your chance of getting into a uni and it's just good for you overall.... I'm doing MAP now though I'm in college (first year)

Okay, thanks for this, I will do some research on it and ask when I go to college :smile:

Your help is much appreciated :biggrin:
Okay, thanks for this, I will do some research on it and ask when I go to college :smile:

Your help is much appreciated :biggrin:

Morning,

I have a younger sister in year 10 who will be sitting her GCSE mocks in a few weeks at school and those results will determine which class she'll go into and whether she can sit triple science and other opportunities like that.

In my opinion, she wakes up too late on a weekend and goes to bed too early to get an genuine revision done. She also spends 1 hour at a time on just getting out of bed and having breakfast. During the day, she works slowly and is easily distracted every time the house phone rings in the next room or the door bell rings- really she just needs an excuse to stop 'working'.

Excuse the mini rant, I just get frustrated with her and she doesn't listen to my advice nor my parents.

I was hoping if you could kindly email me the time that you start your revision on a typical weekend and what time you finish it as it may help my sister realise that there are other people in the world, working hard to excel in their exams.

Thank you :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending