The Student Room Group

Can't afford to pay for travel to my interview

Scroll to see replies

Original post by SlowlorisIncognito
That sounds ridiculous =/ surely they're setting up a situation where there will be a massive shortage of paramedics in Ireland in the future?

I hope you find a way of getting to your interview, and good luck with everything :h:

See there is recently a training programme down in Dublin in May, however, I have to have an EMT cert (2 years) and the course is split between Dublin and America so I'd have to fork out on flights to America as well.

I was actually lied to by the paramedic (although, he probably didn't know!) There was a few places going 2 years ago, so it is possible, but not at this moment.

They are and there has been a lot taking off sick and a shortage in general. There have been talks of Paramedic uni course and Vet med but it's just talk at the moment.

But thank you :smile:

Original post by Carnationlilyrose
Without wishing to sound harsh, are you sure you are in the right frame of mind for paramedic training at the moment? It is not a job which sits very well with this level of anxiety.

From the point of view of fear of planes, if your local airport runs a course in overcoming fear of flying then I heartily recommend them. The transformation in one of my friends is truly a modern miracle.

My anxiety only runs towards travel, nothing else. You are not harsh, I'm considering the same issue as having depression has made me very unmotivated, as much as I want to do Paramedic science, too many things have cropped up recently.
I am looking into one so I am :smile:
Original post by PQ
It's a long shot but it's worth a look on https://www.blablacar.co.uk/ too

If you can find someone who is going on the ferry the days you're looking at that could get you across for less than a walking passenger fare and/or you might be able to get a lift that cuts out some of the transfers/faff around train trips.

Also http://www.seat61.com/NorthernIreland.htm#.Vs7lFPmLS2w is worth a look (and is worth a look anyway if you've got any interest in travelling the world without using planes :wink:)

Thank you very much for the links, it's greatly appreciated :biggrin:

Original post by JoeTSR
Ah, ok. Yeah, you could always try seeing someone else, as long as you emphasize you only want a very short term prescription (ask for the lowest amount they can possibly give, you only need two, maybe a third to use in advance as a tester).

When you say they don't agree with you, could you be more specific? For the diazepam, was it just grogginess etc? And the beta blockers, anything specific?

If they've already prescribed diazepam before, I can't see something shorter acting being a problem, it's not like antidepressants where you have the risk of SSRI discontinuation syndrome. You could get a room somewhere so you don't have to have interviews while on the benzo.

Beta blockers made me pass out, have dizzy spells, Diazepam made me quite suicidal (my doctor wasn't dealing with my depression which was severe at the time)
It also gave me a really really bad headache and I was in and out of sleep every 10 minutes. It felt like I wasn't there at all and the effects lasted over 4 days. Not fun!

Yeah. I've asked my doctor to trial me on different things but they just keep changing the doseage of the mirtazepine. They want to try to get my sleep under control first to see if that helps. I have an underactive thyroid that is being treated, that was a possible cause for depression but it's a result of PTSD/past event. The help for mental issues in NI isn't fantastic.
Original post by LadyEcliptic

I am looking into one so I am :smile:

I don't think I've ever seen a more authentically Irish post on TSR! :smile:
Reply 63

To be sure.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 64
Beta blockers made me pass out, have dizzy spells, Diazepam made me quite suicidal (my doctor wasn't dealing with my depression which was severe at the time)
It also gave me a really really bad headache and I was in and out of sleep every 10 minutes. It felt like I wasn't there at all and the effects lasted over 4 days. Not fun!

Yeah. I've asked my doctor to trial me on different things but they just keep changing the doseage of the mirtazepine. They want to try to get my sleep under control first to see if that helps. I have an underactive thyroid that is being treated, that was a possible cause for depression but it's a result of PTSD/past event. The help for mental issues in NI isn't fantastic.

Yeah, hypotension makes sense. Interesting (from a medical curiosity standpoint) about the suicidal ideation with benzos, I wasn't aware of that being a potential side effect. I can imagine that wouldn't have been fun!

Diazepam has an exceptionally long life (36-200 hours half life) when compared to pretty much any other benzo (can look the ones I listed up on Wikipedia, but they're all around 10-12 hours half life). Whether you bring up the possibility of getting one for each leg of the flight depends on whether you could deal with the same symptoms for a little bit (though a much much shorter time period - if you took it in the morning, symptoms should be about gone by the evening) though I obviously get why you might not want to do even that.

Yeah, as someone with similar, I can't say the mental health services are much better over here!

You're cheating. I know you aren't really Irish, unlike OP.
Reply 66
You're cheating. I know you aren't really Irish, unlike OP.

I'm NornIrish. :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by jneill
I'm NornIrish. :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'll let that go, then. To be sure.

The course I want to study isn't available in Northern Ireland or the south of Ireland, so it is mandatory that I travel to England.

Can I just make the point that going around calling Swansea, England, shows a certain lack of cultural sensitivity.
Original post by nulli tertius
Can I just make the point that going around calling Swansea, England, shows a certain lack of cultural sensitivity.

Swansea is the only place in wales that offers Paramedic Science, not even Scotland does. The majority of Paramedic courses are in England bar Swansea.

You have to know, that I'm Irish. I'm very lazy with my words so I just group all that mainland together.

There is also a distinct difference between NI and the South yet I don't get my knickers in a twist when people coin them together.

yeh from there or wha

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending