The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

How do you guys feel about the draw? Think we've edged the tie of the round but yours is exciting too.

Tbh though if we'd drawn you or Liverpool or if Arsenal were in the EL and drew them I'd be disappointed.
Original post by rockrunride
How do you guys feel about the draw? Think we've edged the tie of the round but yours is exciting too.

Tbh though if we'd drawn you or Liverpool or if Arsenal were in the EL and drew them I'd be disappointed.

Huge tie for Tottenham, if you guys knock Dortmund out (and no reason why not to think you can do it) then certainly you lot will be viewed as the favourites for the Europa League.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by WeOnlyLiveOnce
Not saying he won't neglect youth I'm just saying its unfair to just judge him when he hasn't even set foot inside United. He desperately wants the United job and I'm hopefully he'll follow the 'tradition' of promoting youth or at least giving some of them chances like Pereira, Januzaj and CBJ.

Posted from TSR Mobile

He doesn't have to and he won't get sacked for not utilising youth. Ferguson barely used youth in his latter years bar for league cup fixtures anyway. Like Rafael and Fabio were the only young guys used that came through the youth system properly.
Original post by jam277
@Kenan and Kel your post quality has really gone down recently.

The others members have had that effect on me, I blame them
Original post by Mackay
Not ideal for the PL sides, really. Only one advancing to the final eight I expect.

Just thinking the exact same thing. I was hoping that this year could be great for our co-efficient, with 3 top-sides still left, and 2 of them actually taking it serriously, as their last chance at CL football..

But now, down to 1.

Dissapointing.

No chance tottenham are getting past dortmund, when they actually have a shot at the league/CL place nearly seccured.
Original post by jam277
He doesn't have to and he won't get sacked for not utilising youth. Ferguson barely used youth in his latter years bar for league cup fixtures anyway. Like Rafael and Fabio were the only young guys used that came through the youth system properly.

Welbz and Clevz
Shakhtar, Sevilla, Bayer Leverkusen, Valencia, Liverpool, Lazio, Dortmund, Fenerbahce.

Calling it.
Original post by Mackay
Shakhtar, Sevilla, Bayer Leverkusen, Valencia, Manchester United, Lazio, Dortmund, Fenerbahce.

There. Now that's a very likely outcome.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Not saying he won't neglect youth I'm just saying its unfair to just judge him when he hasn't even set foot inside United. He desperately wants the United job and I'm hopefully he'll follow the 'tradition' of promoting youth or at least giving some of them chances like Pereira, Januzaj and CBJ.

I'm setting myself up for a big fall here but I still think we'll knock you out. Liverpool was the tie I actually wanted.

Mourinho's only used youth at Porto where it's forced on him and at Inter(Balotelli was a no brainer although credit for using Santon). Other than that his record has been atrocious.

See above.

Posted from TSR Mobile

It's not hard to extrapolate a line based on his previous experience. Mourinho's main task will be to achieve CL football, followed by winning trophies. Youth will be scarified if he thinks it needs to be.

The whole reason why Mourinho didn't get the job in 2013 was because SAF and/or Bobby Charlton thought that Mourinho wouldn't carry on Man Utd traditions.
Original post by Zerforax
The being appointed is a huge assumption.

Mourinho's track record of not promoting youth players is not an assumption. He's happy to give young players if they can play at the highest level on a consistent basis (so it's fine if you are a Hazard) but he doesn't leave much else to chance. And it's not a one off, it's based on the last 12 years during his stints at Chelsea, Inter Milan, Real Madrid and Chelsea.

Mourinho's only used youth at Porto where it's forced on him and at Inter(Balotelli was a no brainer although credit for using Santon). Other than that his record has been atrocious.

Let's pretend Morata doesn't exist yeah?
I'm setting myself up for a big fall here but I still think we'll knock you out. Liverpool was the tie I actually wanted

Nothing wrong with having belief in your team.
I never wanted to draw you guys until the final to be honest, although I feel like the earlier we play you, the better.

Both of us have the potential to destroy the other if we have "one of those games" either defensively or offensively. You play really well in big games under LVG for some reason - I feel like it's more to save pride than good management. As a Manchester United player, you don't want to be part of a team that loses to their rivals all the time.

With the likes of Sturridge, Coutinho and Firmino as a front 3, we could take you to the cleaners. That being said, our ability to convert chances is what worries me the most and all I can see is us dominating chances but losing cheaply because we can't finish.

It's not hard to extrapolate a line based on his previous experience. Mourinho's main task will be to achieve CL football, followed by winning trophies. Youth will be scarified if he thinks it needs to be.

The whole reason why Mourinho didn't get the job in 2013 was because SAF and/or Bobby Charlton thought that Mourinho wouldn't carry on Man Utd traditions.

Fair enough, I still think (well hope) if Mourinho is appointed then maybe he just adjusts his attitude to youth.

However, we first need a solid starting 11 before we consider playing youth. I'm all for youth players but if we have a **** starting 11 then they'll be too much pressure on the youth players to deliver. I'll be happy if Mourinho splashes out on established stars so he could make us competitive. But yeah after we've got a settled starting 11 and have become competitive then our focus should switch to youth. Implementing youth players and giving them time on the pitch where the pressure is not as intense as it is now may help them to express themselves more. I just feel there's a great emphasis on Mourinho to get through youth and such but our main focus should be to get back to being competitive and winning trophies and when it comes to that, Mourinho is the perfect choice.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Tbh Mourinho will have little choice but to play Shaw, Martial and possibly Depay, who are all youth. Then there's De Gea and Smalling who are young for their positions and the best/among the best in the world for their age, and Mata, Herrera, Blind, Darmian, Rojo, Schneiderlin who are all middling in age. And Carrick and Rooney, our two most senior players, could both potentially be leaving.

So we've actually got an extremely young squad, and I don't really get the clamour for him to play CBJ, Varela, Pereira etc. - if anything it's experience that we need. I'd much rather he brought in fairly senior players in striker, winger, CB than play the youngsters just because that's tradition or whatever.
Original post by difeo
Tbh Mourinho will have little choice but to play Shaw, Martial and possibly Depay, who are all youth. Then there's De Gea and Smalling who are young for their positions and the best/among the best in the world for their age, and Mata, Herrera, Blind, Darmian, Rojo, Schneiderlin who are all middling in age. And Carrick and Rooney, our two most senior players, could both potentially be leaving.

So we've actually got an extremely young squad, and I don't really get the clamour for him to play CBJ, Varela, Pereira etc. - if anything it's experience that we need. I'd much rather he brought in fairly senior players in striker, winger, CB than play the youngsters just because that's tradition or whatever.

what about adnan?
Original post by scrawlx101
what about adnan?

Well Mata, Herrera and Rooney are better than him at CAM, he's not great on the wing and I expect Mourinho to sign a RW, so I don't see him getting much time and I have no complaints about that, he's not good enough right now. Plus Mourinho doesn't rotate much.

Ideally he'll get a PL loan for a season or two, by which time Rooney, Carrick and Schweinsteiger (meaning Herrera might move deeper) will be gone, and there'll be a lot more chances for him.
Unless the youngsters are good enough for a title challenge, they shouldn't be starting regularly, anyway. There is no point in hiring Mourinho and telling him how to do the job here. If he thinks the young players are good enough, he will play them.
Original post by NathanW18
Unless the youngsters are good enough for a title challenge, they shouldn't be starting regularly, anyway. There is no point in hiring Mourinho and telling him how to do the job here. If he thinks the young players are good enough, he will play them.

Couldnt agree more.
Damn, the midgetland RB Romer said he was close to tears due to the way Memphis wrecked him throughout the match.
Original post by Dirtybit

Let's pretend Morata doesn't exist yeah?
Pretty sure ancelotti used him and jese much more.
Let's ignore Varane as well.

As well as doing away with more experienced players if he didn't think they were good enough. Ancelotti didn't use Casillas either and he almost cost them the Champions League.

Latest