The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by RonnieRJ
I do three sciences and maths A2 and doing further maths AS on my own this year. Definitely doing FP1 and M1, but I've not really started the third unit and only have about two months left till the exam.
I'm fine with both pure and mechanics but which one is easier to self teach in a short period of time? Kinda need an A lol :|

M1. FP2 is long (de Moivre's theorem is tedious).
Reply 2
Original post by kkboyk
M1. FP2 is long (de Moivre's theorem is tedious).

Well, M2?
Yeah that's my worry, the formula booklet alone got me a bit stressed

Thank you :smile:
While it is possible to self-teach either module in the said timeframe, I'd recommend M2 over FP2 since it is the least difficult of the two :yep:
Reply 4
Well, M2?
Yeah that's my worry, the formula booklet alone got me a bit stressed

Thank you :smile:

Oh right you meant M1. Yeah I find M2 easier (although I'm terribly bad at Mechanics). However, both can be learnt in 2-3months especially if you're confident with C1-4 and FP1 content.
Reply 5
most people will go for M2 (easier and less content)
Reply 6
I do three sciences and maths A2 and doing further maths AS on my own this year. Definitely doing FP1 and M1, but I've not really started the third unit and only have about two months left till the exam.
I'm fine with both pure and mechanics but which one is easier to self teach in a short period of time? Kinda need an A lol :|

I'm also teaching myself Further Maths this year. :smile:

Do M2. Simple.
Reply 7
Which board?
Reply 8
I would go for FP2... I found it an utter breeze compared to M2. Plus, it's actually really fast to self-teach!
Reply 9
M2 and FP2 are both good modules, but I'd pick M2 given your timeframe as it has less content to learn.
Reply 10
M2. I think FP2 is easier once you've learnt it, but harder to learn..of course there is ample time to learn both but less energy will probably be exerted if you pick M2
Reply 11
Original post by kkboyk
Oh right you meant M1. Yeah I find M2 easier (although I'm terribly bad at Mechanics). However, both can be learnt in 2-3months especially if you're confident with C1-4 and FP1 content.

Ok that seems alright. I only started considering M2 a couple days ago when I realise a lot of it relates to things I've met in physics
Original post by B_9710
Which board?

Edexcel
Original post by Zacken
I would go for FP2... I found it an utter breeze compared to M2. Plus, it's actually really fast to self-teach!

But would I be able to do it in the next 2 months? Up to an A standard as well. I'm worried I'll try to do it too quickly and just end up getting something lower :/
Original post by Marxist
M2 and FP2 are both good modules, but I'd pick M2 given your timeframe as it has less content to learn.

Original post by 1 8 13 20 42
M2. I think FP2 is easier once you've learnt it, but harder to learn..of course there is ample time to learn both but less energy will probably be exerted if you pick M2

Yeah that's the thing, I'm not too bothered about difficulty as I generally get over anything harder than usual quickly, it's just a matter of getting it done in time :|

Thank you all :biggrin:
Reply 12

But would I be able to do it in the next 2 months? Up to an A standard as well. I'm worried I'll try to do it too quickly and just end up getting something lower :/

A fair estimate would be a week to learn it and another week to practice it and you're basically done in half a month.
Reply 13
Original post by Zacken
A fair estimate would be a week to learn it and another week to practice it and you're basically done in half a month.

FP1 went even quicker than that tbh but I was worried the other modules would take longer

Thank you :biggrin:
Reply 14
I would say for time do M2 as some things you may be familiar with from physics whereas FP2 it will all be completely new stuff and will probably take longer to learn.
If you enjoy the pure maths and think you'd prefer to learn FP2 (if you want to do a module you're more likely to do well in it) then pick that.

Slightly lost - I'm not sure if FP2 is allowed to go towards AS Further Maths?

I would suggest the lowest Decision or Stats that you can do but.. :innocent: :hide:

Or is this a freaky exam board? :ninjagirl:
(edited 8 years ago)

Well this is the face I pull when I do FP2--->:sexface:

M2 is easier by a mile. I don't think M2 is much harder than M1 in terms of difficulty, it's just more content. FP2, on the other hand, is a huge step up form FP1.

...Having said that, I found FP2 more interesting and way more useful if you're doing a science degree.
(edited 8 years ago)

Can I ask how come you are doing As and 4 Alevels?
I was gonna do literally same as you but also consider A2 but school didn't allow me to.
You don't need it do u? Because I thought u got an offer from ucl but just wondering if that's one of the conditions.

Btw M2 is tasty I'm doing for normal maths it's just physics + M1 + goodness.
Reply 19
Personally I find FP2 easier than M2, but it depends on you. FP2 definitely has more content and will be of more help to you if you aim to study in a STEM field.

Latest